Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $160 shipping for this?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
gabyz
Seems excessive shipping for one lip. UPS must be able to ship this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-99-Toyot...sspagenameZWDVW
D-Man
$160, Sounds about right. It's because the package is going to have a massive length. It's Considered an "Over-Sized" item; and shipping companys charge more for that, even though it don't weigh that much. If they were to cut it in half and pack into a smaller box, then UPS would charge in the 20-30's to put it on your front door, provided that you lived in the same country as the seller. biggrin.gif

Although, Reassembling a straight cut, wouldn't be fun... kindasad.gif
creis
I think thats at the very least $60 over actual cost, ebay body kit sellers commonly mark up the shipping to make extra money, makes it so they can mark down the price of the lip so it looks like a good deal but bottom line, your paying $210 bucks for that lip.

reassembling a lip that has been cut in half is actualy very easy (IMO)
ETNRIDER
Seems odd to me, There add says....

"Local pick up is NOT available. We're just not set up for it and we currently don't hold consistant business hours so its just not practical for us. Also, we do not have proper security at our location. In the future we plan to offer local pick up, but, right now we do not. No exceptions."

Sometimes sellers make a little money on shipping but I kinda see it being $160ish like d-man says.
bloodrain
no, for something that size is only ~$40 to ship. The thing is ebay doesn't charge there fee on the shipping. Hence why the item is $50 and shipping $160.

also take note of the quote "Local pick up is NOT available. We're just not set up for it and we currently don't hold consistant business hours so its just not practical for us. Also, we do not have proper security at our location"

seems, odd. Dont you think?
gabyz
QUOTE (ETNRIDER @ Jul 1, 2008 - 5:10 PM) *
Seems odd to me, There add says....

"Local pick up is NOT available. We're just not set up for it and we currently don't hold consistant business hours so its just not practical for us. Also, we do not have proper security at our location. In the future we plan to offer local pick up, but, right now we do not. No exceptions."

Sometimes sellers make a little money on shipping but I kinda see it being $160ish like d-man says.

I know. Proves the point a bit more that thy are trying to squeeze profit out of shipping. The one thing I really hate about ebay.

QUOTE (bloodrain @ Jul 1, 2008 - 5:11 PM) *
no, for something that size is only ~$40 to ship. The thing is ebay doesn't charge there fee on the shipping. Hence why the item is $50 and shipping $160.

also take note of the quote "Local pick up is NOT available. We're just not set up for it and we currently don't hold consistant business hours so its just not practical for us. Also, we do not have proper security at our location"

seems, odd. Dont you think?

yea, there is actually a terminology ebay uses to describe this, forgot what its called.
D-Man
Yeah, at my shop we use UPS World Ship and yeah, it wouldn't be $160 for me either. But nearly ALL e-bay sellers up their shipping for profit. I thought that was widely known confused.gif W/E rolleyes.gif But they're not making that much. Shipping for oversized items is pretty harsh, here let me load an example real quick. Okay, Granted this was NDA (RedLabel shipping) but it's a great example. This is going from Houston TX, to a Toyota parts factory Somewhere. The rest of the details were just guessed. This is not a real replication of the shipping quote for the bumper. I added the BLACK and GREEN text and circles.

But (almost) any online seller is going to charge you a rate like that for a price that low. It's just how they make their money.
gabyz
yea. i hear you. o well. time to cut it in half and reattach it..lol j/k laugh.gif
D-Man
QUOTE (creis @ Jul 1, 2008 - 12:10 PM) *

I never said it'd be hard, i just said it wouldn't be fun. Nobody likes to do more work than they have to wink.gif
gabyz
QUOTE (D-Man @ Jul 1, 2008 - 5:45 PM) *
QUOTE (creis @ Jul 1, 2008 - 12:10 PM) *

I never said it'd be hard, i just said it wouldn't be fun. Nobody likes to do more work than they have to wink.gif

ah ok. though it makes one wonder if the seller is willing to cut it. and if they do, whats to stop them from sawing it off all crocked.
OOBE
You know what I do with sellers like those? I don't buy from them. Plan and simple. You do business with them, and something happens, and they will give you an attitude and will try to screw you. I stay away from anyone that charge too much on eBay. They usually have nasty tendencies and aren't good people.
D-Man
QUOTE (gabyz @ Jul 1, 2008 - 12:48 PM) *
ah ok. though it makes one wonder if the seller is willing to cut it. and if they do, whats to stop them from sawing it off all crocked.

laugh.gif nothing laugh.gif

But, if they get the proper tools and do it correctly and smoothly, then you could goto Wal*Mart and pick up a Fiber Glass Repair kit and have it knocked out in a few hours. It'll cost you $10; and i recommend it for first time glassers. biggrin.gif It'll have eveything you need. Resin, Hardener, Cloth, and plenty of other "Tools" (Random objects for mixing and applying the product.)

I'd start by sending your buddie on e-bay a E-Mail asking him if he has a dremel or saw or something.

QUOTE (OOBE @ Jul 1, 2008 - 12:49 PM) *
You know what I do with sellers like those? I don't buy from them. Plan and simple. You do business with them, and something happens, and they will give you an attitude and will try to screw you. I stay away from anyone that charge too much on eBay. They usually have nasty tendencies and aren't good people.

I dont buy from e-bay PERIOD! I don't use Credit Cards online, I dont do ANY of that crap. And ya know what? i've NEVER in my lifetime been scamed online laugh.gif
bloodrain
d-man, you also have it set for NEXT-DAY delivery.
gabyz
QUOTE (bloodrain @ Jul 1, 2008 - 6:53 PM) *
d-man, you also have it set for NEXT-DAY delivery.

and the plot thickens
D-Man
QUOTE (D-Man @ Jul 1, 2008 - 12:31 PM) *
Yeah, at my shop we use UPS World Ship and yeah, it wouldn't be $160 for me either. But nearly ALL e-bay sellers up their shipping for profit. I thought that was widely known confused.gif W/E rolleyes.gif But they're not making that much. Shipping for oversized items is pretty harsh, here let me load an example real quick. Okay, Granted this was NDA (RedLabel shipping) but it's a great example. This is going from Houston TX, to a Toyota parts factory Somewhere. The rest of the details were just guessed. This is not a real replication of the shipping quote for the bumper. I added the BLACK and GREEN text and circles.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/jta...5/untitled1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/jta...5/untitled2.jpg

But (almost) any online seller is going to charge you a rate like that for a price that low. It's just how they make their money.

laugh.gif I told you that rolleyes.gif
gabyz
and the climax is reached.

in the end..i think i'll just wait for either a local pick up or something a bit cheaper
GriffGirl
Thing is about marking up shipping like that is let's say you buy this $50 item and pay $160 for shipping, and they send you the wrong thing. They'll refund you your item cost, but not the shipping cost. So they still make bank on their own mistake.

I don't buy from sellers like this either, and when I sell/have sold on eBay, I always charge actual shipping. If I charge extra for packing materials, I state it very clearly that I'm charging X amount to cover the cost of packing materials. It just makes you a better seller IMO.
D-Man
Yeah Griff, But not everyone is as cool as you wink.gif

Bloodrain, I wasn't trying to burn you or nothin, I dont know this sellers address, or GABY's address, nor do i know the actual demensions of the box Seller has, nor do i know the actual weight Item is, So it was just a wicked example of how oversizing can multiply the cost of shipping 3-5 times higher. (3.75 times over in this instance) Even if i did ground, it would go from 20 to 60-80. Then the rest of that 160 is Sellers profit kindasad.gif

So it seems that Seller is the most definitive object in shipping cost. laugh.gif
snapshotgt
QUOTE (gabyz @ Jul 1, 2008 - 12:58 PM) *
and the climax is reached.

I believe it has. Thread closed to keep GD moving - this topic has been exhausted already - i think we get the idea. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.