Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Foul Smell of Burnt Liquids.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
tonytutino
I know my car had burned a good deal of oil, but i never really calculated the consumption. I'm going through 6 quarts in a little over a thousand miles... that just seems completely absurd. i'm 75% sure there is no leak, i've never left spots where my car has been sitting overnight and i've inspected the engine bay as well.

Now for my question, is there any correlation between the rapid rate of burning oil and my gas mileage?
because each and every fill up i am getting less and less miles to a tank. (and yes i'm aware of fluctuating gas prices lol) its gone from about 150 a half tank to 80 oe 90 a half tank. I've checked my tire pressure and i got new plugs/wires/distributor last november. I am at a loss here.

Trying to sell a car that burns oil at the speed of gas is not ideal. but i'm pretty sure its my valve seals or piston rings and according to you guys its not worth it to fix, i just need a new engine. maybe this is my time to just keep it and drop a 4agze in there. who knows frown.gif
hurley97
I know you say you can't find the leak but I'm sure there is a leak. My old engine started doing the same thing and for the most part looked relatively dry with the exception of some minor visible moisture around the valve cover (which I thought was due to missing the oil fill hole in the valve cover), the bottom of the trans was a little wet. But like you say, never any spots on the ground and it couldn't possibly be leaking as much oil as I was losing. Sure enough, when the engine came out it was leaking from every oil seal possible, and very badly at that.

Look underneath; Your rear main seal is probably leaking, you would only see the bottom of the trans a little wet since it'll just leak into the space between the bell housing and the block and just flow out while the engine is running and/or tilted toward that side. The back of the block might be leaking from the valve cover and/or headgasket and burning off the back of the block. Could also be leaking from the seals behind the timing cover and not as visible if you aren't looking hard enough for it.

It probably is burning a little oil too but it's not burning all 6qts of oil every 1,000 miles, if it were you wouldn't be able to see out the back window because you'd be followed by a massive white cloud from your exhaust at all times.
Bitter
a cam seal leak can pump out massive amounts of oil and leave no drops where you park. it only leaks under pressure. start the car and put it up, look for leaks.
tonytutino
thanks guys. and hurley, my car does smoke terribly if i get on it. normally above 3k RPM's i'm clouding the streets. but i don't intentionally go above 2.5 normally.

i'll take a look when i get a chance, i hope i can get to this soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.