Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how did you do your 3sgte swap?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
xnightsmokex
I know that a very easy way to swap the 3s is to get an MR2 clip...however...it is a bit more expensive than buying just the engine with the transmission, ecu, and wiring harness.....however i have read that you will be missing parts if you do it like that...since it would be easier for me moneywise to get the engine and etc. i was wondering if anyone has done this and what they would be missing...i know on the stickies the guy that swapped a 3s into his 1997 gave a list of a few things that you would be missing...anyone have anything to say about what he said....or any comments about what i should do?
bccentaur3
The mr2 clip is incorrect. Yes getting the mr2 clip is nice, but you will have to have a custom bracket for the alternator and I think motor mounts? The reason I say the mr2 clip would be nice is because you will get a nice transmission. I say nice because it comes with an lsd. The best way to go is get a gt-four front clip.

I know a lot of people will go against me but I went with a motor set. All you need is pateince. Mine came with every little piece you need to have the swap done, except for the wiring harness conversion. All you need to do is shop around and call and ask every little detail about the swap.
xnightsmokex
i forgot to mention that i am going to do a gen 3 motor swap from a 94+ MR2. and i thought that the gt motor mounts would fit the 3s?
JDM_Factory
The best route IMO would be to go with a 94+ st205 swap. Just because it's cheaper and is rated the same power. I would rather go for a 97+ Solara/Camry transmission. It is already made for FWD, ready available everywhere, is a newer version of the E153 transmisson, triple syncro, and is optional to install LSD if wanted. Or stick with your s54 and swap a s51 5th gear set from a 94+ Solara/Camry and cruise 70mph at 3100rpm.
phattyduck
I used a '95 GT4 front clip that came with body panels, brakes and rear subframe/diff. Any parts you don't use can be sold to the highest bidder, and you have a great blueprint for how everything should be installed in your car.

-Charlie
xnightsmokex
the guy who got me interested in doing this swap told me that i could use the MR2 transmission even though it is considered RWD....since the engine is in the back...when i put the motor in...its going to be in the front and then it will be FWD...also my brother....the mechanic that is going to do the swap...says i can use that transmission...he told me to get the engine, ecu, and wiring harness...along with the other obvious things i need like a fmic, bov, ebc...etc.....and it will work...i would rather not have to buy the clip even though i can sell the parts....because it would be a little harder for me to get the money to get the clip....being as i am 17.....im still a youngblood....haha......but i can have about $4,000 at the end of the summer to get everything...i shouldnt have too much of a problem getting a little more money to buy everything i need if i need more stuff....the great thing is i dont have to pay to get it swapped because my brother is doing it...so that saves me a bunch right there
bccentaur3
You can do the swap with 4000. But you don't understand, that if you go with just the motor set you won't have everything you'll need.

Does your brother know how to convert the wiring harness? If not thats another 500, done by either Doc tweak or DG. Both of them do good work.

And you might want to get a new clutch, because who knows whats happened with the clutch and flywheel with the motor you are getting. Thats another 500.

With a rev 3 motor set you are looking at around 2500-3000 shipped.

Thats about your budget. You will still need a new fuel pump, but thats chump change compared to all the things you will need.

Miscellaneous things like boost gauge, some vaccuum hoses, timing belt, water pump, gasket kit, motor oil, gear oil, new spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Thats about above your budget.

The install, you can do it yourself and yes you are having your bro do it, but whos paying for the beers and food?

Even if you are getting the motor set, theres a chance you won't get everything you'll need to get the motor to run. You will need the ignition coil, ignitor, fuel pump resistor, fuel pump relay, afm if you are getting a rev 2 instead, 2 bar map sensor.

Now if you don't get these, you will find out the hard way having to track down your parts.
phattyduck
The water neck, wiring harness, accessory brackets and other parts are different between the Celica GT4 and MR2 Turbo. If you are stuck on getting a motor set, make sure you go with a Celica motor set. And make sure you get all the parts. I would still highly suggest you get a clip.

To use an MR2 transmission, you will also need to convert the shift cables/brakets to FWD (they attach on opposite sides of the transmission).... it is not just a plug-n-play operation.

-Charlie
DEATH
QUOTE (JDM_Factory @ Jul 14, 2008 - 5:52 PM) *
stick with your s54 and swap a s51 5th gear set from a 94+ Solara/Camry and cruise 70mph at 3100rpm.

You must have meant 80mph cause I'm already at around 3200rpm at 70mph with the S54 stock gearing. I'm at 4Krpm at 80mph. So are every GT I've heard of on stock S54. But good info - I did not know that option existed for us.

QUOTE (xnightsmokex @ Jul 14, 2008 - 8:07 PM) *
the guy who got me interested in doing this swap told me that i could use the MR2 transmission even though it is considered RWD....since the engine is in the back...when i put the motor in...its going to be in the front and then it will be FWD...also my brother....the mechanic that is going to do the swap...says i can use that transmission...he told me to get the engine, ecu, and wiring harness...along with the other obvious things i need like a fmic, bov, ebc...etc.....and it will work...i would rather not have to buy the clip even though i can sell the parts....because it would be a little harder for me to get the money to get the clip....being as i am 17.....im still a youngblood....haha......but i can have about $4,000 at the end of the summer to get everything...i shouldnt have too much of a problem getting a little more money to buy everything i need if i need more stuff....the great thing is i dont have to pay to get it swapped because my brother is doing it...so that saves me a bunch right there

QUOTE (phattyduck @ Jul 15, 2008 - 2:52 PM) *
To use an MR2 transmission, you will also need to convert the shift cables/brakets to FWD (they attach on opposite sides of the transmission).... it is not just a plug-n-play operation.

Your brother was correct except for the conversions phattyduck listed above PLUS you will need an ST-205 Rear mount cause the MR2 one will not work there.

Edit - Oh sh*t - and lets not forget the axle situation - there would be quite a bit more money/PITA when using the MR2 Tranny. Not that it's not to be done - It's a great transmission and better than the stock GT S54 - but like Phatty said - it's hardly plug and play.
DEATH
double post
xnightsmokex
well...how quickly things get difficult...not to mention the difficulty of this swap...but also my clutch just went today....how cute is that
EBredwolf
I said **** it. if I am going to put the money in this I'm going all out. I figured I have a perfectly good clip why waste it. so i decided to make as close to an overseas gt-four as possible... right hand drive and all. more pics to come

http://s337.photobucket.com/albums/n367/GT-FOUR_2008/

Erik
EBredwolf@aol.com
phattyduck
QUOTE (DEATH @ Jul 15, 2008 - 2:20 PM) *
QUOTE (JDM_Factory @ Jul 14, 2008 - 5:52 PM) *
stick with your s54 and swap a s51 5th gear set from a 94+ Solara/Camry and cruise 70mph at 3100rpm.

You must have meant 80mph cause I'm already at around 3200rpm at 70mph with the S54 stock gearing. I'm at 4Krpm at 80mph. So are every GT I've heard of on stock S54. But good info - I did not know that option existed for us.

My '90 4-cyl 5-speed Camry (before the swap) was around 3100rpm at 80mph. I'm not sure if this was a final drive difference or a 5th gear difference. Very nice for getting good highway mileage - I used to get 35mpg+ on road trips at 70mph.

QUOTE (DEATH @ Jul 15, 2008 - 2:20 PM) *
QUOTE (phattyduck @ Jul 15, 2008 - 2:52 PM) *

Your brother was correct except for the conversions phattyduck listed above PLUS you will need an ST-205 Rear mount cause the MR2 one will not work there.

Edit - Oh sh*t - and lets not forget the axle situation - there would be quite a bit more money/PITA when using the MR2 Tranny. Not that it's not to be done - It's a great transmission and better than the stock GT S54 - but like Phatty said - it's hardly plug and play.

Oh yeah, the axles! That's yet another issue. I was lucky to be able to use factory V6 axles on my Camry, but I still had the pain of finding the correct axle carrier.

-Charlie
jawdroppingkid
good luck finding everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.