Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3S-GTE swap for $5500?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
mbell75
I have a 94 ST and called a place near me that has a low mileage 3S-GTE for $1900. Seeing as how I have the ST and alot more work is required, he told me he would do it for $5500. Isnt $3600 for labor a bit much? I am sure I could buy the engine and find someone else to do it alot cheaper, but I also want it done right though. Thoughts?
95st-celica
if you can get it droped in for $5500 into an st then id say go for it...espically if hes going to garentee it or (have a warenty to go along with it)
mbell75
QUOTE (95st-celica @ Jul 29, 2008 - 2:42 AM) *
if you can get it droped in for $5500 into an st then id say go for it...espically if hes going to garentee it or (have a warenty to go along with it)

Well I doubt that because its not exactly a legal swap, at least here in CA.
j0e_p3t
does your guy seriously know what he's doing? cuz if he's a pro and has done it before (or has all the info he needs and knows exactly what to expect), then go for it. or you can do it yourself. plenty of info on this site with a few socal members who have done the 3s swap. if you go that route, do yourself a favor and buy a clip instead of just the engine.
devilsden97
u say 3600$ labor, but u have to keep in mind, tranny, mounts, fuel pump. etc....

so there are some misc parts that will need to be (or should be purchased) to make this swap happen. i wouldnt be surprised if ur looking at $2500 worth of labor and about 3000$ worth of parts (or visa versa)
lagos
Parts alone will cost you around 4grand. Especially if you have an ST. The engine is not the only thing you need.
Make sure your guy has done this exact swap before, because if he doesn't know everything that's involved in doing it, you'll greatly regret going there.
snapshotgt
I second everything lagos said.
Also, do not get involved in a swap if you're on a tight budget. wink.gif
DEATH
QUOTE (snapshotgt @ Jul 29, 2008 - 12:29 PM) *
Also, do NOT get involved in a swap if you're on a tight budget. wink.gif

Fixed - I'm sure that's what you meant. We all remember what happened to you kindasad.gif
joehernandez
just do it like me,
i am saving money, at least 7000 to do the swap,
but that wont come in one year,
i am researching about the engine, the parts needed, and i will try to
to it myself with all the posts here on the forums, that i think is more than enough,
mine is a gt though, will definitely will be more faster and cheaper.
snapshotgt
QUOTE (DEATH @ Jul 29, 2008 - 11:33 AM) *
QUOTE (snapshotgt @ Jul 29, 2008 - 12:29 PM) *
Also, do NOT get involved in a swap if you're on a tight budget. wink.gif

Fixed - I'm sure that's what you meant. We all remember what happened to you kindasad.gif

That is correct, do not. Edited my post. +1 for typos.
snapshotgt
QUOTE (DEATH @ Jul 29, 2008 - 11:33 AM) *
We all remember what happened to you kindasad.gif

To pickup on this, double, and double check again on the shops past swaps and experience. Even check with the current owners of those swaps and get their private opinion of how the job went and its history. Swaps are a finicky things and can REALLY be screwed up.
DEATH
tell me about it kindasad.gif
Listen to us -we've all had experience with some negative aspect of a swap or another.
That being said we love the ish out of our cars and DD them biggrin.gif
mbell75
What kind of problems? I am not overly concerned as this car is not my daily driver. Just want it to have some fun in once in awhile.
bccentaur3
Make sure the shop that is doing your swap knows how to deal with the wiring harness conversion. You have problems with electrical issues, if your harness wasn't done right. Like myself, transmission problems. Seriously, if its either your DD or a weekend thing, you're going to want parts in there that can handle a beating. For example a transmission. Spend some money and get a stronger transmission than a s54.
goferris
a lot of people have also recomended to do it yourself if you possibly can. that way when it breaks down (which is more likely to happen on a swapped vehicle) you'll have a much better knowledge of what to fix. if you have a place do it it'll cost quite a bit more, you won't know what type of quality you are getting, and you'll never know what's what and how to fix anything. plus since it's only a 3s swap it's been covered very well in the stickies as well as many members have done it on their own cars and can answer any Q you have. now if you were doing a swap like what snapshot did i would have a shop do it but make sure you do a lot of homework on the shop to make sure they are quality.

on that note, good luck on the swap and i hope all goes well.
mbell75
QUOTE (goferris @ Jul 31, 2008 - 8:55 PM) *
a lot of people have also recomended to do it yourself if you possibly can. that way when it breaks down (which is more likely to happen on a swapped vehicle) you'll have a much better knowledge of what to fix. if you have a place do it it'll cost quite a bit more, you won't know what type of quality you are getting, and you'll never know what's what and how to fix anything. plus since it's only a 3s swap it's been covered very well in the stickies as well as many members have done it on their own cars and can answer any Q you have. now if you were doing a swap like what snapshot did i would have a shop do it but make sure you do a lot of homework on the shop to make sure they are quality.

on that note, good luck on the swap and i hope all goes well.

Yea. I should mention I got the guy's info from a link in one of the stickies on this forum. He has done the swap several times, its not like I am just taking it down to Joe's garage.
CelicaST_CALI
do it
Dr_Tweak
$5500 is pretty cheap if it includes everything.... I would be wary.

-Doc
mbell75
So is the 4A-GZE swap cheaper and easier? How much less power is it? 30-40 hp?
Dr_Tweak
It's marginally cheaper and easier but it's a lot harder to upgrade, I do not recommend the 4AGZE. If you want quick and easy, go for a 20v blacktop.

-Doc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.