Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temps.......What gives??
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Fastbird
Ok, so on the advice of people, I finally moved my oil temp sensor down to the pan and had a bung installed there. Yesterday was the first test, and it STILL was hitting 240*+ on the dang highway after 13 minutes (my highway commute) of 3000+ RPM operation, constant RPM between 3000 and 3700 RPM. It's lower, definitely, but it wasn't quite as hot as last time I drove the car with the sensor mounted in the sandwich adapter.

So what the heck gives? I watch MR2OC and I see guys talking about 200 temps during normal driving, 220 when leaning on it, maybe 240-260 ON A TRACK DAY. I NORMALLY see 240. Odd though, the temp wants to go up at idle with the sensor in the pan, I'm assuming due to lower flow at that low RPM state. I wasn't even being hard on the car yesterday, just lazily driving it around, barely getting into boost at all. And you can tell it's getting DANG hot. I popped the hood last night to clean up a couple of things when I got home from work, and that was a no-go. Too much heat.

Thoughts? Ideas?
DEATH
Perhaps it's because you're hood/bumper setup vs a true GT4, alltrac and even the MR2 isn't really designed to flow much air? When you're sitting at idle the closed hood becomes an oven and even at speed the lack of flow ups the oil temps?
IDK - Just speculation but it can't be helping.
Where is your oil cooler located at?
devilsden97
QUOTE (DEATH @ Jul 29, 2008 - 9:03 AM) *
Perhaps it's because you're hood/bumper setup vs a true GT4, alltrac and even the MR2 isn't really designed to flow much air?
Where is your oil cooler located at?

id agree with the lack of air flow. but at the same time. i know runinng with no hood ull only see about a -10° difference. (2nd gen 3sgte @ 30 mph)

and oil cooler location could be a contributing factor.
Fastbird
Just the Factory 3S-GTE oil cooler (sandwich plate for coolant). Oil cooler is the next step, probably going to do a "Auto Zone special" 9x13" cooler and custom mount a 9" fan to it, and use an adapter plate under the filter. Not really ready to drop the coin on a remote mount filter and B&M Super Cooler setup yet (that's a $300+ ordeal, and I'm not sure it's going to make a huge difference).
phattyduck
Is there any chance that the temp sender or wiring is bad? Could you test it out in a cup of boiling water and 'room temperature' water? I would imagine if you are seeing 220*+ oil temps all the time that might be the case.

-Charlie
Fastbird
QUOTE (phattyduck @ Jul 29, 2008 - 1:20 PM) *
Is there any chance that the temp sender or wiring is bad? Could you test it out in a cup of boiling water and 'room temperature' water? I would imagine if you are seeing 220*+ oil temps all the time that might be the case.

-Charlie

Tested. biggrin.gif Half a setp ahead of you there.

I know one of the issues is the gearing of the stock transmission coupled with the 3S and it's inherent heat anyway. Highway RPMS for any amount of time will = hot oil. No skipping around that. I've noticed the sweet spot seems to be between 2-3k RPM's.......If I can keep it down low, it'll stay at 200ish. But as soon as I get on the highway, up she goes, and down goes my idle oil pressure in a hurry too. frown.gif
celicaGT96
i hear this a common problem, is this true? also the oil cooler comes stock? I have the 3rd gen 3sgte. should i have an oil cooler? i havent dropped the motor in yet..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.