Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my model kit in the works
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
timmy_Tam
hey all
new to the forum, never was one for the celica, i'm a rotary man biggrin.gif
whats that? thats right...MUNCH MUNCH pistons for lunch! biggrin.gif

anyway, friend of mine's birthday is coming up soon, and i though i'd build him a model of his celica he used to have

he used to be on this forum, username NAKED
but he sold his celica n got a mx5 (+1 for the mazdas!)
mostly because his work requires something more 'professional' and he was tired of 'crab crawling' along speed humps, ramps, etc

anyway, heres the kit i'm building, would apprecaite any suggestions, criticism, advice, etc smile.gif

http://www.6gc.net/members/4830

timmy_Tam
front bar work

Engine bay Work

UNDERBODY

"

Random_Stranger
looks great..... mx5 huh? laugh.gif
cel97ica
looking pretty good...keep with the updates would like to see it finished smile.gif
AnaXyd
Haha crazy! biggrin.gif Does it run too? smile.gif

Great work!
CelicaQT
Wow! I think it's awesome that your doing this for your friend! I've always wanted to make the SSIII splitters for my celica model but really didn't know how to go about doing so.

Mad Props!

Keep us posted on the outcome!

-Christee-
ImportChick95
Looks badass so far. I can't wait to see the final product.
CelicaST_CALI
where did u get that original body??
timmy_Tam
CelicaST_CALI: i got the body from a model kit that i picked up from Ebay US. couldn't find a kit in australia, guessing its rare or not in much demand

AnaXyd: no it doesn't run, and i'll show you why in a minute

but heres an update. got the rear bar done. as you can see, i made it WAYYY too big. compared to the spoiler, its like a big hugh booty on a small chick =/

but i had to make it in 2 parts, left and right just because it was so hard to do all the curves and lines of the rear bar

however, with the wheels that arrived, the rear bar doesn't seem that big anymore, but the front bar is wayyyyyy too small by comparison
compared to the stock wheels, the new ones are like 20"!
but they cram in there, and won't move at all. they practically cover the brakes and calipers
what to do?

i'm thinking about redoing the front bar, at least the lower lip anyway to make up for it, but i'm pushing it for time =/

i'll let the picts do the talking

wheels

side skirt in the works

model kit box

wheels

devilsden97
ill be a negative nancy

PROPORTIONS are your friend
jcaron9gt4
x2^^

Great work, but i think that the proportions are ruining the project. The wheels have to go, they look rediculous. If the kit was a tad smaller, it would look very clean, but with the size of the wing and front, it makes the car look almost un realistic.

With that said, i think your still doing a great job with the whole project, and nice work as far as getting the curves and lines right.
manphibian
Loosen up guys, it's stylized. It doesn't have to be realistic. like this kinda thing:

I think your mate will love it biggrin.gif
devilsden97
QUOTE (timmy_Tam @ Aug 5, 2008 - 10:07 AM) *
anyway, heres the kit i'm building, would apprecaite any suggestions, criticism, advice, etc smile.gif

QUOTE (manphibian @ Aug 8, 2008 - 1:31 PM) *
Loosen up guys, it's stylized. It doesn't have to be realistic. like this kinda thing:

?
jcaron9gt4
I gave some criticism, advice, and compliments. so whats the problem?
manphibian
rolleyes.gif

who said there was a problem? All i said is the guy knows the proportions are not realistic, but that's kinda the idea of it.

don't get upset tongue.gif
tomazws
Is that putty? Why's it so thick? Are you gonna sand it down?
timmy_Tam
thats for all the comments and critismn guys!

for the record, i think the wheels are fcuked too
i bought them as they were advertised 1/24 scale, same as the model kit
i'm guessing one or the other IS NOT

but i have to agree with you all, compared to the stock wheels, its pretty much stuffed!!
manphibian, that looks good, but only in drawing
the real thing is just shocking frown.gif

i'm gonna have to cut down the rear bar, and extend the lower lip
while also custom building some rims, possibly out of putty, toothpicks and whatever else i can think of
lol

tomazws: its better to put on too much and sand down, than too little and have to add to it (which doesn't always stick well)

and everyone, please PLEASE PLEASE keep the opinions, suggestions and critismn coming. i'm not going to take offense or be upset, every bit helps!

stay tuned for update thumbsup.gif
manphibian
LOL! I thought you went for the huge wheels on purpose! laugh.gif

ah well, i'll shut up now biggrin.gif

If those are the wheels you gotta use, then you're gonna have to go that way, exxagerrate everything, make it almost cartoon like. It will look cool IMO. thumbsup.gif
LCARS_24
I'm not sure what material is best to work with, but after what you've learned about the project working in clay, you might consider drafting out the parts precisely on paper then working in balsa, slowly and carefully taking a piece down first with files then smoothing with sandpaper, which can give you accurate parts. And you can still correct minor errors with putty before priming and painting. (Actual mileage may vary, depending on patience and skill.)

timmy_Tam
Lcars 24, i hear what your saying.
i'm no stranger to custom fabrication, i've done wood working, fibreglassing, putty and metalsheets
the only thing i have yet to try is CNC and welding
but i'm strapped for time. my friends birthday is 13th august, and i've had to postpone due to the un usablility of the wheels
but once i've sanded it smooth and painted it up, it'll come up nice smile.gif

manphibian and everyone else, keep the comments rolling!

updates soon
manphibian
Maybe you could trim the wheel arches out a bit so it can sit lower?
D-Man
x2, i like the big rims! you just gotta get a lowering kit for it laugh.gif
CelicaST_CALI
25s WOOOOT hahaha that thing is awsome
tomazws
QUOTE (timmy_Tam @ Aug 9, 2008 - 3:14 AM) *
tomazws: its better to put on too much and sand down, than too little and have to add to it (which doesn't always stick well)

Can't wait to see the result!!! More pics! smile.gif
playr158
pull the fenders and tuck some rim.....
D-Man
X2! PICS!!
DiP203
Badass can u do a curren conversion for me??
D-Man
UPDATE?
KAOS
QUOTE (D-Man @ Aug 20, 2008 - 8:40 AM) *
UPDATE?

x2!!

I really like your creativity and admire the workmanship - I'd like to see more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.