Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7AGTE advise please
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Ewie
I'm in the process of building the topic mentioned engine using a 7AFE bottomen and series1(bigport) twincam head.
The turbo is a TD04 coming from a WRX Scooby.
I'm planning on boosting 0.7bar and would like to know if the 7A internals will be able to hold up.
Seeing that theres quite a few boosted 7AFE's on this forum I believe I'll get a trustworthy answer wink.gif
My Compresion ratio will be 8.9:1 and I wont rev past 7000rpm.
Will stock rods hold up???
Taskbot
Well, I don't know too much about the 7A-FTE but I do know that people on this forum have pushed 200+ whp, I can only assume that if they can do it on stock 7A internals, you should be fine especially if you are only going to 7K rpm.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get that compression? I've always heard that using a stock 7A bottom end and just the 4A head will actually reduce compression.
presure2
QUOTE (Taskbot @ Aug 7, 2008 - 11:27 AM) *
Well, I don't know too much about the 7A-FTE but I do know that people on this forum have pushed 200+ whp, I can only assume that if they can do it on stock 7A internals, you should be fine especially if you are only going to 7K rpm.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get that compression? I've always heard that using a stock 7A bottom end and just the 4A head will actually reduce compression.

i havent seen anyone make 200WHP with a 7afte.
200 flywheel, yup.

stock rods and more so the rod BOLTS are the weakest link of the 7a.
DEATH
Good luck bro - that's quite a task. Do it right and give us a build diary so others can follow you're footsteps biggrin.gif
Taskbot
QUOTE (presure2 @ Aug 7, 2008 - 11:44 AM) *
QUOTE (Taskbot @ Aug 7, 2008 - 11:27 AM) *

i havent seen anyone make 200WHP with a 7afte.
200 flywheel, yup.

stock rods and more so the rod BOLTS are the weakest link of the 7a.

I thought someone had hit about 230 at the flywheel, maybe I read wrong. Even so, thats still double the stock power on a stock bottom end.
Ewie
Thanks for all the advise and comments.
So I'm still in doubt if the stock rods will hold up.I'm planning on making bout 200kw on the wheels tho!!!
Ill be using series 2 4AGZE pistons but wanted to keep the rods and crank stock as availibility in South Africa of forged 7AFE rods is like findin a 20 year old virgin.
My other option is to use CA180 Nissan rods but there's quite some engineering infolved. kindasad.gif
Taskbot
hmmm CA18 rods are probably the closest you'll find.

Be prepared to engineer some wacky **** like that, since you are doing a pretty rare swap. Talk to some of the AE86 guys. The 7A-GE thing has become big for AE86 drifters looking for more low end torque so its quite possible that at least one of them has turbocharged/supercharged it. Another option, since you want a beefier bottom end, might be to make a 9A. Use the 2ZZ crank and rods, with CA18DET pistons. That will bring it up to about 2.0L however I am not too sure how well it would handle tons of boost. You could probably find lower compression pistons and a thicker gasket, but with that set-up the crank would be able to withstand a fair amount of HP/Boost (Think Lotus Exige) plus you'd have added displacement making it easier to reach the power you want.
Ewie
Like your way of thinking laugh.gif
I already have the 7AFE motor and 4age motor so I'd prever to stick to that.I doubt if the 2ZZ crank would fit the 7A block aswell.
If I have my facts right the CA18D rods need to be made thinner from 24.2mm to 17mm
The big end must get made bigger from 48mm to 50mm and to have floating pin the small end bigger from 20mm to 22mm.
The CA18DET rod is 0.3mm longer but I'll just off set cut the 2 journal holes to make up the length.
Does it sound right and do able Taskbot??
nik
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...31&hl=7agte

here is my old build thread from my 7agte

i hit some good numbers with it and its my dd in the summer
CelicaST_CALI
i think oobe is close to breaking 200....
Taskbot
QUOTE (Ewie @ Aug 10, 2008 - 1:41 AM) *
Like your way of thinking laugh.gif
I already have the 7AFE motor and 4age motor so I'd prever to stick to that.I doubt if the 2ZZ crank would fit the 7A block aswell.
If I have my facts right the CA18D rods need to be made thinner from 24.2mm to 17mm
The big end must get made bigger from 48mm to 50mm and to have floating pin the small end bigger from 20mm to 22mm.
The CA18DET rod is 0.3mm longer but I'll just off set cut the 2 journal holes to make up the length.
Does it sound right and do able Taskbot??

I am not too sure. I, personally, haven't done this (or any swap for that matter) however I've been seeing a lot of posts on different forums about the "9A-GE" swap. I think the particular issue that everyone seems to be having is finding a rod/piston setup. The 2ZZ-GE rods should work with the 1ZZ-FE crank but then you would need custom pistons or old CA18DET pistons. Unfortunetly I don't know much more than the internet and head math tells me, I'd need to actually play around with it.

I suggest you ignore my advice on the 9A until I can do a bit more research into it or try it myself.

However if you think you can come up with a setup that would work, go for it. The 2L displacement should work wonders for your torque output.
Ewie
At last I sourced a set of CA18DET rods as soon as they ariveI'll compare the differences and get he mods done to make them work in the 7A block biggrin.gif
Taskbot
Hahah this is going to get really sweet really fast if it works.
If you can boost it, it would probably put down a fair amount of power.

Remember to keep a list of your parts/how much they cost so I can copy this later.
bringindaheat573
Well if u look at niks post u can learn alot about a 7agte because his is amazing smile.gif
Ewie
QUOTE (Taskbot @ Aug 22, 2008 - 2:55 PM) *
Hahah this is going to get really sweet really fast if it works.
If you can boost it, it would probably put down a fair amount of power.

Remember to keep a list of your parts/how much they cost so I can copy this later.

I will bro.
Most of the parts I'm buying 2nd hand tho.
The CA180DET rods have small end bearing cause they're floating pin.Its 22mm wide same as 7afe.The pin diameter is 20mm so no mods needed there wink.gif
The bigend journal is 48mm so that'll have to be enlarged to 51mm.
The bigends are 24.4mm wide so I'll have to shave 1.2mm of each side so their 22mm.Then its just the small groove that'll have to be re-cut for the bearings to fit snuggly again. biggrin.gif
Ewie
QUOTE (bringindaheat573 @ Aug 22, 2008 - 3:03 PM) *
Well if u look at niks post u can learn alot about a 7agte because his is amazing smile.gif

I have looked at his,very good read.
My build will differ in many ways but I'll post up a whole thread on it as soon as its running.Might still be a while as I'm not in a hurry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.