Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3sgte Rundown
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
5sfeTurbo
Ok I have the money for an N/A setup. Then i realized (hey I can do the swap!!)
So like a good boy, I have decided to do it. Well now that my hearts and wallet are in it so I have to be 100% sure of EVERYTHING. I went to Altered Atmosphere (east coast) they quoted me 1100-1400 labor and the car out for a month. But the downer was no one there could do the wiring and recomended a stand alone ECU thats like $1700!!! so im trying to Qatar11(aol) to do this for me.
Now I have an auto im sure we know.. so Im hoping-no praying with the rebuilt T.C. that it will handle the power of the motor (1st uncertainty).
Would it be aight you guys think if I had a friend who has done 3 swaps just put up the engine alone, since she bolts right up and have the wiring done through Qatar11? So what Im saying is, is it easy enough for a guy with enough knowledge to simply put the motor in or is there alot of cutting and extending lines, hoses and such? Please put forth any information or advice you have or thoughts (+/-). Im very close to it I just need to be a 100% sure on the basics and all cuz this is a major investment and gamble.
Supersprynt
There is a few fabs that are going to have to be done, like the left "motor mount" i put it in "" cuz its small and isnt like the other mounts, it just a bolt and stuff. The actual mechanical part of the swap, isnt that difficult. Its the wiring, and if ur having Mike do it, then ur like 1/2 way done already. It doesnt take a month to do the mechanical part, thats very unimpressive since me and my friend did that part in less time than that.

For Mike to do it he's going to want the harness of the stock engine, and the 3sgte. So I would have him do it before you start anything mechanical, cuz ur not going to be getting the harness in and out when its in the engine bay.

And also, make sure you get a FULL HARNESS. You cant do shizit w/o the plugs on the end.
97sccelica
always, always, always

get a front clip. it will save you a lot of headaches
Mynzeyes
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Sep 17, 2003 - 7:44 PM)
There is a few fabs that are going to have to be done, like the left "motor mount" i put it in "" cuz its small and isnt like the other mounts, it just a bolt and stuff. The actual mechanical part of the swap, isnt that difficult. Its the wiring, and if ur having Mike do it, then ur like 1/2 way done already. It doesnt take a month to do the mechanical part, thats very unimpressive since me and my friend did that part in less time than that.

For Mike to do it he's going to want the harness of the stock engine, and the 3sgte. So I would have him do it before you start anything mechanical, cuz ur not going to be getting the harness in and out when its in the engine bay.

And also, make sure you get a FULL HARNESS. You cant do shizit w/o the plugs on the end.

i got the 4AGZE engine harness off w/ the engine in the bay. tongue.gif. hehe. and yes, let mike handle the wiring, and have you and your friend put the engine in. i had the motor out of the celica in 4 hours, then, about a week of putting the 4a in and out and lining stuff up, drilling, banging, etc before it got mounted in. a month is a long time...(tho my car's been down longer than that, but hey, been waitin on wiring).

-John-
Matthew
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Sep 17, 2003 - 9:11 PM)
always, always, always

get a front clip. it will save you a lot of headaches

yes what he said

PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE

get a clip. there have been many a posts on peeps who didnt get the clip because they THOUGHT that they were getting a better deal with JUST the engine and wiring. not the case.

most of the time if you buy an engine the wiring harness is cut which is impossible to find. so just buy the clip...try jarco or venus auto. should be like 1500 or so for an st185

the mechanical part of the swap is friggin easy. and yea like supersprynt said its just that one motor mount..

sphinx
get the clip at venus.

venus

i got mine from them, and they are good ppl. Talk to Vicky.

to tell you the truth, swaping the motor is not hard. Actually, it's down right simple.
I'm doing mine as we speak, I'm only waiting on a few parts.

The best advise i can give you is buy every single thing you need before you get started. If you buy everything, and set aside money just incase you need something else, then you can do it in 1 week.

It realy depends on how prepared you are. Like i said, buy everything you need , and you'll be fine.
5sfeTurbo
Well you know when you were a kid an someone told you santan doesnt exist, yea well last night I was talking to mike, and well the all-trac motor will NOT bolt up to my GT auto tranny which in case opens up a whole can of worms. Swapping the tranny can be done but Ive heard some hooror stories even when the swap is done perfectly so doing that is something Im not willing to do. frown.gif this is a sad day my friends a sad day. Selling the car cant happen either I still have 7k left on her.
5sfeTurbo
thats *santa*
97sccelica
well, yeah, you have an auto tranny.

the auto tranny technically will bolt up but it wont work at all without a custom ecu and custom work
FallenHero
Did you guys know that HKS makes a 5s to 3s harness kit?smile.gif

Jon
Matthew
a link would be helpful to some peeps

oh and why wont the auto tranny work?
FallenHero
user posted imageHere then

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseac...%20Kit&vaffid=0

lazy.....smile.gif

Drocay
40 bucks thats amazing
97sccelica
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Sep 19, 2003 - 11:49 PM)

lazy.....smile.gif

dude, thats a turbo timer harness
97sccelica
QUOTE (GT2GT4 @ Sep 19, 2003 - 11:36 PM)

all auto tranny's that will bolt up to a 3sgte are electronically controlled by the car's ECU.

now a 3sgte ECU is programmed for a 5spd tranny. it wont work. a custom ECU as well as a custom flywheel setup or a auto 3sge tranny and its TC and flywheel need to be used.

it will be expensive, and take a long long time to perfect, it will work
neophile
Another possible option is to source parts from a Caldina GT-T. From what I can remember these are the only cars to come out standard with the 3SGTE and an Auto trans.

Others may be able to comment on how feasible (mechanically/financially/obtainable) this option is - I'm not a mechanic or in the US smile.gif just putting the option out there.
Matthew
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Sep 20, 2003 - 1:53 AM)
QUOTE (GT2GT4 @ Sep 19, 2003 - 11:36 PM)

all auto tranny's that will bolt up to a 3sgte are electronically controlled by the car's ECU.

now a 3sgte ECU is programmed for a 5spd tranny. it wont work. a custom ECU as well as a custom flywheel setup or a auto 3sge tranny and its TC and flywheel need to be used.

it will be expensive, and take a long long time to perfect, it will work

ok just wondering

my car is a manual now (awd) anyway.

just wondering
Matthew
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Sep 20, 2003 - 1:51 AM)
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Sep 19, 2003 - 11:49 PM)

lazy.....smile.gif

dude, thats a turbo timer harness

yea thats a turbo timer harness

the harness on your engine is way longer than that and it looks a little different too.
FallenHero
What can I say, Nopi is really specific, lol.

Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.