Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 7AFE t-vis technical tread
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Ewie
I couldn't find any info on these motors so I started my own info thread as I stripped mine.
http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewtopic.php?t=30670
DEATH
Never had a clue these existed. What cars did they come on, ours? What's the numbers these run stock? Sounds like a great motor for what you have planned.
Ewie
QUOTE (DEATH @ Aug 18, 2008 - 6:48 AM) *
Never had a clue these existed. What cars did they come on, ours? What's the numbers these run stock? Sounds like a great motor for what you have planned.

I didn't know they existed either.
Bought it from a local importer as I wanted a 7AFE block.Only when I got home I saw the vacume pipes and unknown sensors.Started searching for info but couldn't find any info.If anybody have info thats not covered in my thread yet please share it here!
Bitter
pretty much, its the same 7afe just with tvis. neat, but the intake ports end up being a tiny bit smaller than the non tvis 7afe intake ports. or so i've read.
Ewie
QUOTE (Bitter @ Aug 18, 2008 - 7:03 PM) *
pretty much, its the same 7afe just with tvis. neat, but the intake ports end up being a tiny bit smaller than the non tvis 7afe intake ports. or so i've read.

Well I'm still to strip the intake from the head.Judging from the outside the intake ports seems quite big but I'll strip it in the week and post more pics with measurements in that thread.
Bitter
i read up on them on a australian site, the size of both ports ended up being a little smaller than the single intake port on the non tvis.
Ewie
QUOTE (Bitter @ Aug 18, 2008 - 9:33 PM) *
i read up on them on a australian site, the size of both ports ended up being a little smaller than the single intake port on the non tvis.

In that case it sould be more torquey on low to midrange.This motor of mine was on a Automatic tranny so I guess it was a good combination.
I'll be stripping the head soon and will post the pics and total sizes in my tread on the TwincamForum as theres still alot to be discovered bout this motor
DEATH
For a low boost application I could see where this would be beneficial altho I've always been a fan of the T-VIS system anyway.
Bitter
QUOTE (Ewie @ Aug 19, 2008 - 3:59 AM) *

In that case it sould be more torquey on low to midrange.This motor of mine was on a Automatic tranny so I guess it was a good combination.
I'll be stripping the head soon and will post the pics and total sizes in my tread on the TwincamForum as theres still alot to be discovered bout this motor

i think that motor would play nicely with some mild cams. little more duration and lift to help it breath, toss on an ebay header, and get a decent a/f tune. you should be able to put down what some 4age's put down.

btw, that engine is OBD2, hence the fixed timing and crank sensors.
EXXX_AE86
Hey man do you know if the block is any different then the regular 7afe? also are you going to be putting the 20v head on it? Cause i am very interested in making a 20v 7age turbo for my AE86. I have a 16v waiting to get rebuilt for now but i'm saving up for the big 7agte project. What are you planning on doing with you tvis 7afe?
Ewie
QUOTE (Bitter @ Aug 19, 2008 - 8:23 PM) *

i think that motor would play nicely with some mild cams. little more duration and lift to help it breath, toss on an ebay header, and get a decent a/f tune. you should be able to put down what some 4age's put down.

Sorry but what do you mean by OBD2? kindasad.gif
Ewie
QUOTE (EXXX_AE86 @ Aug 20, 2008 - 12:30 AM) *
Hey man do you know if the block is any different then the regular 7afe? also are you going to be putting the 20v head on it? Cause i am very interested in making a 20v 7age turbo for my AE86. I have a 16v waiting to get rebuilt for now but i'm saving up for the big 7agte project. What are you planning on doing with you tvis 7afe?

I'm going to use my Bigport 16v head.
The block looks exactly like the normal 7AFE block.The section where the crank angle sensor fits is on the oilpump.
The head can take a "normal" adjustable distibutor.
I just bought the 7AFE because I wanted the block and its internals as I want to build a 7AGTE.Only after I bought it I discovered it have tvis on it rolleyes.gif
EXXX_AE86
how much did you pick up the engine for?
Ewie
QUOTE (EXXX_AE86 @ Aug 20, 2008 - 10:09 AM) *

Don't know what the currency is at he moment but I paid 4500 South African Rand for it which is quite reasonable around here.
EXXX_AE86
QUOTE (Ewie @ Aug 20, 2008 - 2:29 PM) *

Don't know what the currency is at he moment but I paid 4500 South African Rand for it which is quite reasonable around here.

Well $1.00 Canadian is R8.27 so i guess u paid like 550$ Canadian for it. thats about the price here. maybe i can get one 100$ less or so. But besides the censor on the block there are no other oil passage holes drilled in the block for the T-VIS?
Bitter
QUOTE (Ewie @ Aug 20, 2008 - 12:39 AM) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD_II
Ewie
QUOTE (Bitter @ Aug 20, 2008 - 8:26 PM) *
QUOTE (Ewie @ Aug 20, 2008 - 12:39 AM) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD_II

Aaaahh Thanx man wink.gif
Ewie
QUOTE (EXXX_AE86 @ Aug 20, 2008 - 3:38 PM) *
QUOTE (Ewie @ Aug 20, 2008 - 2:29 PM) *

Well $1.00 Canadian is R8.27 so i guess u paid like 550$ Canadian for it. thats about the price here. maybe i can get one 100$ less or so. But besides the censor on the block there are no other oil passage holes drilled in the block for the T-VIS?

Theres no difference on the block.
The tvis works like on the 4AGE (series1&2) with vacume from the intake to open and close and gets a electrinic signal from the ECU to do that.
There's no sensors extra sensors on the block either.The oilpump is a bolt on so the crank angle sensor is not realy mounted to the block and the Combustion temp sensor is on the head not the block.
Ewie
Some extra info and pics added on page 2 of the link regarding the intake tvis plate and fueling.
http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewt...p=469673#469673
Bitter
see what i mean about the non tvis port being larger than the tvis ports? though i'd love if you measured and figured area to see if its any real difference.
Ewie
QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 17, 2008 - 7:29 AM) *
see what i mean about the non tvis port being larger than the tvis ports? though i'd love if you measured and figured area to see if its any real difference.

Ya I saw what you meant,and I agree with you.
I will try work it out but will have to do it with liquid or somethin as the ports on both are not perfect shapes.Will see what I can do though. wink.gif
Bitter
just get some grid paper, tape it over the port, and rub along the edge with a pencil. you can pretty easily eyeball area that way. :dunno:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.