Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ct 26 issues
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
blckcelica95
i have a 5sfte, its been on the road for roughly 2 years and in the time span i have blown 2 ct-26 50 trim turbos. i recently dissambled the turbo trying to figure out why i keep blowing these things. On both turbos the thurst bearings were damaged, but had no scoring . so i dont think the turbo's prematue deaths were caused by an oil issue . the thurst bearing looked almost brand new except for were it had worm . Which is in the center section were the bearing connects to another part which connects to the shaft. this picture may explain it better http://www.alltrac.net/images/turbo/rebuild9.jpg . Now i was pushing these turbo at 17 psi . until i was told that 17psi is to high for a stock ct26 exhuast side. im am wondering if it is possible that the increase in back pressure from running it so high, could have damaged the thurst bearings. any input would be appricated. for the record i am not putting on another ct26 based turbo i am upgrading to a t3/t4 but i want to figure out why i keep killing them before i blow another turbo.
Sean
RUNNIN-LOW
well 17 is pushing it (ct-26)..how are u driving you car man??beating it everyday or driving normal..do you have a oil cooler running threw the turbo?? im not sure but yeah i use to have a 5s turbo and my first turbo broke cause i beat the crap out of it everyday. but that just me..sorry to hear about another turbo bro...
presure2
QUOTE (RUNNIN-LOW @ Aug 22, 2008 - 10:15 PM) *
well 17 is pushing it (ct-26)..how are u driving you car man??beating it everyday or driving normal..do you have a oil cooler running threw the turbo?? im not sure but yeah i use to have a 5s turbo and my first turbo broke cause i beat the crap out of it everyday. but that just me..sorry to hear about another turbo bro...

these turbo just dont "break cause you drive it hard"
i've been "beating the crap" out of my ct-27, for over 3 yrs, 40K miles.

blc: who has done the rebuilds on your turbo?
blckcelica95
they both were rebuillt by a company called Performance Techniques in San Bernadino, CA. I have noticed that they have been putting in a brass thrust bearings, and a lot of the rebuild kits i have seen have a steel thrust bearing. As for the cooling of the oil and turbo , i have the stock oil cooler still connected and i have the coolant lines connected to the turbo from the throttle body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.