Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guess what I did this weekend
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Batman722
First off I got a good deal on a st205 engine set (basically everything from a clip) and I bought everything I would need to freshen it up. Then I picked up a low mileage e153 (from a 2000 Camry) and MR2 turbo inners and all-trac outers.

pics from the day I got the engine

^^ Manny (presure2) was pretty excited

then we did some things to the motor

^^ what a mess

mmm clean
the valve cover, heat shield, and intake manifold we coated with a high temp ceramic coating (no pics)

and I lagged the IC with this, thermo-tech
the "lagging" is an adhesive backed aluminized heat barrier which will reduce heat soak with the IC.

cleaned it out and this is what I'm running it in.

then axle madness began

first, 2 sets

then one set

spacer

and spare parts

I then did the wire harness so it would be plug and play for the car. I first wired in a seperat relay box for the IC and fuel pump relays but after I swaped I rewired it to the stock st205 FP and IC replay box, pics later.

not the best pic of the motor but something

then the st205 front end went on (see the 3s in the backround)

I really didn't take too many pics of things because every time I was with the motor, I was doing something to make the swap easier.

then the fun began Friday night - day one

remove motor, clean bay, remove battery tray
put in IC pump

and with st205 puke tank

I'm tired

Saturday - day two

extend the wire harness ? hell no. Cut a hole in the firwall and put harness through.

played with new e153 tranny, clutch, attach to motor and put in car

Sunday - day three - the exhaust. I already have a HKS cat-back so Manny made a b pipe - from the berk dp to the HKS.

started with this

and it became...

tacked and almost finished

done and a quick paint job (that got a little scratched when installed). Manny says "I stand by my exhaust"

and a few installed

and the exhaust cut out from Q T P

I have 3" from the turbo to the cat-back (which is 2.5") so as Corey did we installed a butterfly open exhaust valve. I put in a toggle switch so I can open and close the butterfly whenever I want. Quiet cruising with it closed and all the exhaust goes out the back OR I open it up, it gets loud and free flowing exhaust - no restriction biggrin.gif and more BOOST

put on a new "2000 twin entry turbo" sticker and done for that day.

BTW it started and purred like a CHAMP ! FIRST TRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!

The car runs great and feels INCREDIBLE.
Now I have had a couple of (expected) problems. The freakin axles.
First, driver's side axle just popped out on a test drive, car towed back to Mannys.
next day, have the axle machined to fit in the tranny and added a 1/2 spacer, good as new.
then on the second test drive the pass side axle popped out. Car towed back to Mannys.
The axle carrier came off the block - the bolts weren't tightened down enough. Sorted that tonight and now it runs perfect, hits boost very well but I think the carrier bearing is bad or the pass side axle is just plain bad. I hear a bit of noise from that side and I think I need another all-trac axle (I think I know where I'll be getting that from) and I'll rebiuld it again. And that's where I'm at right now.

The place all the majic happened was presure2's (Manny) garage and I had some help from Manny & Jenn, my woman Stef (hurley97), and Manny's cousin Joey. A small "pit crew" how each did their thing to help me.

I'll take and post up some finished pics tomorrow night or so, I've had a stressful and busy 4-5 days.
808celica
woot.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
jcaron9gt4
damn, nice work as usual from you guys thumbsup.gif
bccentaur3
Dang!!!! I was wondering what you had up your sleeves. Nice job. Thats a hella nice job by Manny too!
1bwilson
Looks great! I wish I had a JDM guy shop here in MD frown.gif
97lestyousay
NIce work guys. smile.gif someday.... my clip will come in.
j0e_p3t
its threads like these that make me wish i lived on the east coast. nice work.
malpaso
you are just unbelievable... amazing work Dustin! bowdown.gif
purplegt4
my goodness! i was wondering when this would happen.
easternpiro1
living near you guys would make me brave enough to try a feat like that. good friends all pitching in. that people is what its all about! great job man!
Rusty
welcome to the world of 3S-GE/3SGTE, nice swork thumbsup.gif

laugh.gif lol
manphibian
i just bowdown.gif to you guys.
presure2
yay!
Batman722
I forgot to thank Manny & Jenn, Stef, and Manny's cousin Joey for pitching in and doing what they did.
Thanks guys !

I did a lot of leg work before the motor went it to make things as easy as possible with little to no "speed bumps" along the way. I got frustrated a few times during the weekend but I kinda expected to at some point. I should post some pics hopefully later today.
RUNNIN-LOW
nice nice nice!!!!!!loving the work yeah i wish i had all the supplies and stuff to do all that.. biggrin.gif great job guys
playr158
Holy crapola....you guys are ridiculous!

yet another amazing NE 3sgte swap. very nice.
x_itchy_b_x
popping out swaps like its your job! (hint hint)

congrats guys.
DEATH
Freakin sweet. Three reasons -
1. I didn't think anyone could completely pull off a swap in one week [Allowing for previous leg work etc]
2. The no re-wiring job is confirmed to work - I knew there had to be a way to do that [You guys gonna detail that process for future swappers?]
3. The electric cutout link laugh.gif I've been wanting to do this for years but has always sort of been on the back burner - now with your link I got no excuse. Nothing beats the sound of a 3S-GTE running open downpipe biggrin.gif
Badass work guys.
Batman722
QUOTE (DEATH @ Aug 27, 2008 - 10:37 AM) *
Freakin sweet. Three reasons -
1. I didn't think anyone could completely pull off a swap in one week [Allowing for previous leg work etc]

day one - pull 5s
day 2 - put in 3s/tranny
day 3 - connect and fill

a few more pics

2. The no re-wiring job is confirmed to work - I knew there had to be a way to do that [You guys gonna detail that process for future swappers?]

with some help from the 3sgte/5sfe wiring diagrams and a few calls to Corey (silver94celicaowner) to clarify some things, the wiring is simple as pie. Even easier if you have this wink.gif

3. The electric cutout link laugh.gif I've been wanting to do this for years but has always sort of been on the back burner - now with your link I got no excuse. Nothing beats the sound of a 3S-GTE running open downpipe biggrin.gif
Badass work guys.

it does sound BA and it's a grear boost controller. Open I get 2-3 more lbs wink.gif

and the location of the switch

biggrin.gif

and just a pic of the ARSE and the first aid kit.

I have a pretty complete st205 swap now.
I thought about my power daily driving options and an st205 was the only way to go. I didn't want to be like everyone else and have a half-trac, I wanted it to actually be a GT-Two wink.gif
lagos
1. Make some videos!
2. Get to the dyno. I always wanted to see what a 205 swap could put down.

97lestyousay
That looks so f***en clean. is the ps working still?

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Aug 27, 2008 - 10:10 AM) *

95st-celica
great job guy's and girls....really clean work.. i like
NuclearHappineS
2-3 lbs of boost from the cutout means that there are 2-3 lbs of back pressure in the exhaust (even on a 2.5" exhaust).

Pretty good proof of why a bigger exhaust can gain you up to 15hp (if it drops your back pressure from 3psi down to 1psi it's the equiv. of upping the BC by 2psi....

Great clean swap. Great looking midpipe.

They say that if you install a few inch long angle cut turndown on the end of the cutout after the cut plate that is smoothes flow and potentially gains a bit more HP (and quiets down whatever blips, burps or pops) that come out of it off throttle or during transitions...

Great job.
RUNNIN-LOW
well humm...at 20psi my buddy got 304 to the wheel and 286lb..runnin on 93octane and water meth injection..the power curve started at 2500 peaked at about 6500 and dropped about 7200-7500rpm..getting mine tune tomorrow so ill post up vids and photo but as you see i wont have all the fancy stuff batman does haha..not sure if the ct20b can push anymore..but i have heard and seen mr2 guys do 22psi and did a little bit more hp but not much...but yeah 205 can hold a beating... biggrin.gif
WALKER
Nice work you guys. Looks great!
KAOS
QUOTE (WALKER @ Aug 27, 2008 - 12:16 PM) *
Nice work you guys. Looks great!

You east coaster's make me seeeeek! frown.gif

You make it look so easy... Manny - you are a god! Great work guys!! bowdown.gif
ETNRIDER
bowdown.gif Can my Ceilca come stay with you next weekend?? .......pplleeaassee!!!!!
D-Man
great work guys!! i cant believe you all knocked it out so fast thumbsup.gif

How'd you get a 6gc.net Keychain?
x_itchy_b_x
being a 6gc OG (Original Gangsta) has it perks.
D-Man
QUOTE (x_itchy_b_x @ Aug 27, 2008 - 2:33 PM) *

I suppose... Man, Remind me to never jack with anyone who's got that keychain laugh.gif Chances are i'll be the one being jacked and wont be able to catch up frown.gif

laugh.gif
Batman722
QUOTE (97lestyousay @ Aug 27, 2008 - 1:39 PM) *
That looks so f***en clean. is the ps working still?

PS works 100%.
I used the 205 pump and the GT lines bolted up.

If anyone has any questions about what parts I used or how anything was done, post it up.
x_itchy_b_x
why wasn't I informed sooner frown.gif I like to play cars.
WAIT i know you didn't want thehorniak touch. i can't blame you biggrin.gif
D-Man
What are you doing with your old engine? it was a 95 5sfte right? I'd be intrested in a few parts from it biggrin.gif
DEATH
5S-FE but yeah - you want his cams [I have a sneaking suspesion that motor is gonna end up in someone else's project on the east coast with a damn Turbo strapped to it]
presure2
QUOTE (DEATH @ Aug 27, 2008 - 5:48 PM) *
5S-FE but yeah - you want his cams [I have a sneaking suspesion that motor is gonna end up in someone else's project on the east coast with a damn Turbo strapped to it]

lmao..he may WANT them...but he aint GETTING them...the cams are spoken for. wink.gif

i have a few pics i took ill post after supper.
DEATH
I KNEW you were gonna be the recipient of those cams if not the whole motor for a fresh rebuild. So then - what are your projections as a gain from those cams with your setup. I'm truely interested.
presure2
QUOTE (DEATH @ Aug 27, 2008 - 6:11 PM) *
I KNEW you were gonna be the recipient of those cams if not the whole motor for a fresh rebuild. So then - what are your projections as a gain from those cams with your setup. I'm truely interested.

to be honest, i dont expect big "gains" with them, i just expect them to help extend the powerband a bit.

anyway, dustin posted most of the pics i have, so ill just add a few more of the b-pipe i made him.

im pretty proud of it, the welds arnt pretty, im very much so still learning, but what im more happy with than anything else is the placement and fit of everything.
clearance is good everywhere, and it runs right in the middle of the crossmember and steering rack.

not too bad for my first attempt at making a b-pipe, i think.

this one shows the whole thing tacked, and in place checking fitment. you can see here how it goes up and over the crossmember, and back down to meet the HKS exhaust.

Click to view attachment

this is a good shot of the crossmember/ PS rack clearance. this is looking back at the exhaust thru the crossmember.

Click to view attachment

and a couple of it out, first tacked up, then all welded up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

dustin covered the installed shots, and the sweet QTP cutout. which BTW, i think sounds absolutly AWESOME.

and finally, the money shot:

Click to view attachment

what a way to spend a weekend with friends.
hehe.
btw, D, your welcome man. i know i ribbed ya hard all weekend, but you know how we do. laugh.gif
JDM Guy FTMFBBQW!!!!!

DEATH
Nice - i assumed with the powerband being smoother the 5S drop off would be lessened and you might gain a few more ponies up top.
Nice B-pipe [That's the hardest exhaust part to fabricate on our cars so the rest is all cake] - if you ever need tips or help with welding LMK - I used to weld for a living back in the day.
x_itchy_b_x
i expect big gains with them Manny. more lift + duration = more boost = SUPER BOOST!
DEATH
Exactly [itchy will you be my translator? That's twice today I think]
easternpiro1
whats the ps? and death i think ftmfbbqw means for the mutha fcukin bar B Q win! lol laugh.gif
Batman722
QUOTE (easternpiro1 @ Aug 27, 2008 - 7:22 PM) *
whats the ps? and death i think ftmfbbqw means for the mutha fcukin bar B Q win! lol laugh.gif

right on.

ps = power steering, you NOOB !!! laugh.gif
DEATH
Or passenger side depending on the context.
MFBBQW - I got that too but my thoughts were what do east coasters know about BBQ? Ever eatin BBQ in NY? It's hilarious [I'm not hatin cause I can't get a decent philly cheese in this god forsaken place mad.gif ].
zero07
You guys did a great job in such a short time! bowdown.gif

The things you guys do just makes me want a swap even more every time.
97lestyousay
QUOTE (D-Man @ Aug 27, 2008 - 12:49 PM) *
QUOTE (x_itchy_b_x @ Aug 27, 2008 - 2:33 PM) *

I suppose... Man, Remind me to never jack with anyone who's got that keychain laugh.gif Chances are i'll be the one being jacked and wont be able to catch up frown.gif

laugh.gif

muhahahaha I have that keychain, so much for that theory.
I made some a few years back, never again.

I am flying you guys out when I am ready to do mine. biggrin.gif
JDM guy ftmfbbqw
snapshotgt
Dustin, here is the picture of my drivers side spacer that Carl @ Speed-Source milled:

(Sorry for cell phone pic. When i needed it, i could've cared less about taking a picture of it, haha.)
Batman722
thanks Snap thumbsup.gif lookin good !
snapshotgt
You car is officially an animal, congrats. thumbsup.gif
devilsden97
so this finally hit 6gc.net? lol

nice work.

sound clip of the motor with cutout open is required.
You might just take back the loudest exaust trophy from Derek's Supercharged is300... if it counts...the car techinically has an exaust on it...
jcaron9gt4
so where is your 5's going?

i know someone that wants it (hint hint)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.