Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hiccup...
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
slow_yota
I think the o/d button went out ..So i went and cut the wire leading to the o/d button, It wasnt working anyways so i thought it would cut off power to it..and it woul dgive me me o/d back.I thought wrong.Its still acting like it has only 3 gears...I punch it and it'll speed up but wont go into o/d..Is there some way to fix what i effed up ? =[
Taskbot
What exactly did you cut? I don't really understand from the explanation.
Also, what kind of switch it is? I can imagine its not a physical on off switch and that it just sends a signal to the computer to turn off overdrive.
Can you just re-connect it? If your OD switch is really out, try to figure out what kind of switch it is and either install a another switch external to the gear selector or replace the switch that you have already (which would probably cost a hell of a lot more).

I've never dealt with a broken overdrive switch so I don't have any other help I can offer. tongue.gif
Tech-Nics
When you turn off your O/D the light on your cluster should indicate that your 4th is disabled. If you had no forth gear either way then there is somthing more to it. Could be tranny is going, low fluid level. Cutting the O/D switch might have not been a good idea cause the O/D goes the computer which send the signal to the tranny to disable the 4th gear. If you can reconnect it i would do it.
slow_yota
ok..sorry i'll be more specific.
I snipped the two wires going to the o/d button the shift knob.
and when i put the knob back on i tore the wiring out because the
knob wouldt go all the way down.
= no 4th gear. =[
Taskbot
so, is fitment the problem with the switch wiring? Is it possible to reconnect it to the switch even though it won't go all the way down?
slow_yota
i tore the wiring out..theres no way i'd be able to reconnect it..=[
GriffGirl
I'm not sure that cutting the o/d button would do this. If your tranny feels like there's no 4th gear, it could be that your transmission is just going out.

Anyway you need to figure out a way to undo what you did with the overdrive button in order to eliminate that as a possibility.
Taskbot
What does the overdrive (button) feel like, does it "click" in or is it just bouncy? (what type of switch was it)
How many wires were attached to it?

If you know these you can probably make a simple bypass switch and then you would be able to figure out if you don't have an overdrive gear or if you just have a busted switch.

If the problem is that you broke the switch while the overdrive was off, or that the overdrive is only on if there if the switch is closed (and electricity is flowing from one side to the other) than start thinking of places you can mount a permanent/more cool switch.
GriffGirl
^O/D switches click

Sounds to me like someone needs to get to a junk yard fast and replace that shiz. I do think there's more going on than just the o/d not working though.
DEATH
I agree with a few of the responses here - you could easily make a temporary bypass switch [and it's the click on click off type - not momentary switch in other words so you can easily find a cheap switch at any parts store] but that's not your problem I'm willing to bet. You had the problem before you trashed the switch and it's unlikely the switch would have caused this in the first place - you need to get your tranny checked out or take the opportunity to rid yourself of the autotragic tranny in the first place [That's certainly what I'd do if it ended up needing an overhaul].
D-Man
QUOTE (Tech-Nics @ Aug 28, 2008 - 8:50 AM) *
When you turn off your O/D the light on your cluster should indicate that your 4th is disabled.

There is a light in our cluster for that!?!?
Spider77
Yeah, its the one above the CEL, it should say "OD Off" (when OD is disengaged) or something like that.
slow_yota
No..no, I did have the 4th before all this started up...My kid was playing with it a bunch the one day and sometime between that and the other day is when it wouldt go back to normal.I was hoping there was a solenoid or fuse i could pull to get it to work..Its like the shift knob is stuck in the o/d off position.

and we have NO 6g celicas around here what so ever. =/
Bitter
should be the same as in a corolla or camry dude.

you can EASILY wire a regular switch up to the wiring harness with a wiring diagram. all it does is feeds power to the solenoid for 4th gear. theres iirc 3 solenoids, a 1-2, a 3-4, and a lockup (torque converter clutch). the 4 gears are controlled by the 2 solenoids. no power to both defaults to 3rd gear. cutting. so it goes like this
1st is 1-2 on and 3-4 off
2nd is 1-2 on and 3-4 off
3rd is all off
4th is 3-4 on.

or something, i dont feel like breaking out the factory manual right now. you wont harm the transmission, but the OD off light should be illuminated. if its not then i'd more suspect you have an actual transmission issue happening.
monkey
holy crap yall are idiots....
if its because of the switch than the light says O/D off!!!!!
if its ur tranny than it will not illuminate so stop thinking its the switch! is the light on or off!!!!! easy answer

off= not the switch. more likely or ur lightbulf warning light is burned out..... but thats highly doubtfull
on = switch or wiring or cpu or some **** thats electrical relating to the switch!!!

Havok1997GT
wait a second.

am i understanding that you cut the OD wiring off because your car wouldnt go into OD anymore? so you cut it to see if you could fix the problem and get it to go back into OD? How was that suppose to work? Cutting the wire and pulling it out completelly takes out any way to control wether the OD is on or off? either way you have to find a way to put that button back together. then you can hunt down the real problem

slow_yota
o/d off light is on.
button wasnt turning it off..So i thought if i cut power to it it'd work..
no luck, dumb move i know. =[
im going to attemp to rewire it from the base of
the shifter and mount it to the dash under the steering wheel.
[In those lil square plastics that come out]
Taskbot
Good idea, that would actually probably be a decent place for it (thats where I am going to put the button for my rigged in foglights). If you get the right type of switch you could make it look stock too, of course you'd have to do something with the dead switch on the shifter.
slow_yota
ya i'll prolly just glue it in place on the shift knob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.