Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak rear passenger side of 5sfe -- picture attached
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Celi94bk
I have a problem now, This use to be a small leak but now it is a full blown 5 quart a day engine draining monster of a problem.

I have located the source of the problem I would like to see what can be done about the issue.

Basically
-I removed the protective plastics from the passenger side of the engine.
-Cleaned the area of Oil
- Located the location of the leak

I originally though that the problem was with the oil pan. So I tightened a couple of the bolts and it still has the same leak.
The leak is a fast leak from the rear of the engine above the oil drain bolt in the oil pan.

I have enclosed a picture of where the leak is coming from. (this picture is of a 5SFE engine from a mr2 found it on the internet just to show where this leak is coming from)

What do you think I tried to tighten the two bolts and they seemed loose but did not want to put too much pressure on them because the engine was still kinda hot.

The arrow on this picture is where the oil is spewing from I will attempt to get better pictures with my camera today If I can not get this issue resolved.

Any suggestions or help would be great..

D-Man
The oil is literally coming out of that bolt hole? or from the connection between the engine and that pan?
Celi94bk
well I got my camera out after messing around with it and I beleive that I have made matters a little worse.

-broke a bolt off
-sealed up where I thought the oil was coming out of

Then I got my camera should have done this first....

The oil is coming out behind the plastic pulley cover.

about how much do you think to have this issue mended and would it require pulling of the engine?

I stuck a piece of a paper towel into the broken bolt hole ...yeh me .... :-(
D-Man
QUOTE (Celi94bk @ Sep 4, 2008 - 8:58 AM) *
The oil is coming out behind the plastic pulley cover.
That sounds like it would be a rear-main seal.

Now, what is this grey (and cracking?) crap all over the place? Is that some kind of sealant? That would be my first guess... What the hell is it covering and why is it covering it? wink.gif
GT4KNG
i would give the engine a good clean and get all the oil from it and then go for a good run and come and check where its leaking again..i think you will find the oil leaks...but mainly it would be either: crank, cam seal, rear main seal or cracked sump.
Celi94bk
I did that before I got my camera out.... smart huh

it is called flex steel and I used it to repair my top of my radiator so I thought that if that was where the leak was coming from it would seal it up and all would be fine.

No harm though it is just some super high heat epoxy.

I will be dropping this off to my mechanic tomorrow and have him look at it. It is over my head I think it will have to be traded in if it is not a cheap fix.

How much do you think a rear main seal would cost?
My mechanic said that it could be a oil sending unit and may be a cheap fix, any thought on this?

-wade

D-Man
Rear main... Probably several hundred bucks... i guess... IDFK... i've never paid a mechanic to fix one before laugh.gif
If it's an oil sending unit, then yeah, it'd be fairly cheap. That's not too much work...

But if you're taking it to the mech, then just make sure you know what all he's doing.
Celi94bk
Hey is a pretty good mech, never had a problem and he always tells me up front what is going on. Our family has been using him for many years.

If that is all I can't wait to get my Celica back... smile.gif

How about that bolt that I broke off how much will it cost to tap it to remove it?

Has anyone had this done it broke so easy and the engine was cold .. . kindasad.gif
hurley97
Your rear main seal is not on that side of the engine. That is the front of the engine, the rear main is on the complete opposite side, you have to take the transmission off the replace the rear main seal.

It seems to be either your cam seal or crank seal.
Celi94bk
how hard are the cam or crank seal to replace?

lot of man hours???

hurley97
Not much more than a timing belt job. And you should do the t-belt at the same time if you haven't had it replaced in a while, it has to be taken off anyway.

And unless "sending unit" is your mechanics term for the oil pump, I would have to say he's not the one to trust.
freak1c
Just had my front cam seal, crank seal, oil pump seal and water pump replaced for $422.00 total including a new timing belt.
Cost of the water pump was $45.00, don't know how much labor cost they figured into the water pump replacement.

Celi94bk
Thanks for all the comments I will find out today if Im going to keep the celica she has been good to me but lately it seems like I have been dumping tons of money into it.

My fingers are crossed.
Celi94bk
Well I'm going to get a new car, Turns out that the cam seal went and that is where all the oil is coming from.
Looking for a good home for a Celica that is a good Candidate for engine swap. What do you think I could get for it.

Also if you looking I live in Pittsburgh PA she is drive able for short distances but the oil leak will need to be fixed.
It has a new inspection, brakes, battery, plugs wires, distributor and coil. All within one month and I'mnot going to
put another dime into it. I love my Celica but it has to go.

Where is the best place to post this sale and how much do you think I can get for it?

2.2 GT, Manual Black 94

D-Man
Craigslist...

Or you can part it! biggrin.gif I need a bumper, and an EGR assembly.
Agent21
Cam seal is an easy fix but K-sarah I guess. You would have to take all the timing covers, belts, and then the cam gear off and replace the seal. I just did it recently.
rjbibeau
easy fix, no more than a six pack worth of time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.