Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Fluid change
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
PolliS_5S-FE
hi guys i want to do a clutch fluid change as i have never done one before and i got a few questions.

does it require any specific tools (other than everyday ones sockets, spanners etc etc)

is it a relativly easy job 2 do?

Also what kind of fluid goes into the clutch, ive heard its the same as brake fluid but that doesnt sounds quite right to me.

As i said ive never done one before so i woudnt even know where to start lol. i can do basic maintanance oil change, coolant etc so would it be worth it to do it myself. im a real do it yourself kinda guy when it comes to cars. i reckon why pay someone to do it for u when u can do it urself and save money AND learn something new.

Any tips and info is much appreciated, thanks biggrin.gif
Hanyo
its like bleeding the brakes.

you crack open your slave cylinder nipple and have someone else pump the clutch. Remember to keep refilling your clutch reservoir.

that should be it.
Por2geezcelica
i thought in order to bleed it properly, you needed 2 people, one in the car to pump the clutch, and one in the engine bay to open the valve. I thought the proper way was to pump the clutch a few times, then hold it down. While the clutch is held down, open the valve. Once the little bit of fluid comes out, close the valve and repeat. Is that the proper way to do it?
lagos
QUOTE (Por2geezcelica @ Sep 5, 2008 - 3:21 PM) *
i thought in order to bleed it properly, you needed 2 people, one in the car to pump the clutch, and one in the engine bay to open the valve. I thought the proper way was to pump the clutch a few times, then hold it down. While the clutch is held down, open the valve. Once the little bit of fluid comes out, close the valve and repeat. Is that the proper way to do it?

Yes, thats it.
You might also want to put some clear tubing on the valve, and stick one end into a cup filled with brake fluid. that way you wont be sucking air back in, just letting air bubbles out.
Bitter
honestly, you can do this with one person if you're just changing the fluid.

fill the reservoir, open the bleeder, let it dribble out while you keep adding clean fluid. when it runs clean, close the bleeder and you're done.

if you have air in the system, just gravity bleeding may remove it. give it a shot, otherwise you will need an assistant.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.