Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lookin for some insite
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
TRD_Ian
ok so im readin along here and iv been thinking about boostin my 5sfe in my 94 gts....altho it has 290kms i would have to rebuild it.....what i am wondering is which is a better bang for you buck/better motor for hp what can our fs handle for boost on stock guts? and what can a 3s handle?....also what are you guys using for managment? apexi? megasquirt? emanage?...im lookin at buildin a a machine outa this car and some thing that can contend with a tt supra and gts skyline...
iv been lookin around and i havent been able to find in the faq's what is needed to drop in a st205....im new to this and trying to learn...guide me lol
99GT
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28825

Build up a st205.

Best bang for buck would be 3S swap.
Legit94GT
there is also the v6 swap... around the same price for a swap...

V6

that would be my choice, parts would be way easier to find and you could turbo some of the V6's or super charge the other ones...

just my .02
Smaay
if you are pulling the engine to refresh it then i suggest staying with the 5S. you will have much more torque. just upgrade the rods and pistons, that will be cheaper than buying a complete engine that will make less torque. as for management, most are using the S-AFC or emanage
lagos
Either one is going to cost you the same amount of money.
supershannon77
Just put the time in and do either one right and you should be happy with either my .02
808celica
3sgte with stroker kit?!?!?!?!?!?!
TRD_Ian
very helpfull.........still lookin for what each block can handle for boost before **** goes boom? also...big difference in the 5s head and the 3s head? i know the mani's bolt right up but the 52 doesnt flow so well? wondering about making a hybrid outa em.....does the 3s have forged internals??
lagos
QUOTE (TRD_Ian @ Sep 9, 2008 - 6:10 PM) *
very helpfull.........still lookin for what each block can handle for boost before **** goes boom? also...big difference in the 5s head and the 3s head? i know the mani's bolt right up but the 52 doesnt flow so well? wondering about making a hybrid outa em.....does the 3s have forged internals??

The 5sfe is an economy motor with an economy head. With a good turbo and race gas, shannons car has been able to hit close to 300hp. Very impressive for that kind of setup.

The 3sgte on the other hand is the performance motor. It has a better head and a stronger motor. Read the power primer to learn more about it.
http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm
Havok1997GT
QUOTE (lagos @ Sep 9, 2008 - 10:19 PM) *

The 5sfe is an economy motor with an economy head. With a good turbo and race gas, shannons car has been able to hit close to 300hp. Very impressive for that kind of setup.

The 3sgte on the other hand is the performance motor. It has a better head and a stronger motor. Read the power primer to learn more about it.

seems to me that everyone has trouble with their 3s though. Now this could just be most people dont do their swaps correctly, and poorly, but i never here a lot of trouble coming out of 5sfte. This is just what ive seen.
lagos
QUOTE (Havok1997GT @ Sep 9, 2008 - 10:30 PM) *
QUOTE (lagos @ Sep 9, 2008 - 10:19 PM) *

seems to me that everyone has trouble with their 3s though. Now this could just be most people dont do their swaps correctly, and poorly, but i never here a lot of trouble coming out of 5sfte. This is just what ive seen.

Each setup can have issues...
You have to be ready to pop your hood. Neither setup is a install and forget type of thing.

There have been more then a few people who turboed their 5sfe, only to put it back to stock after a few weeks and part out their setup. Cutting corners (in your budget) can lead to oil leaks, blown turbos, and misc issues. At least most people are not blowing motors these days, since those green top injectors are not being used anymore.

3sgte can have a few problems too. People with the e153 trans tend to have axle problems, misc oil leaks, boost leaks, etc... Most of the problems come from people cutting corners and not doing their research. The AFM on 2nd gen cars can also cause a few hesitation issues. But besides that, its a good motor. Ive been driving mine ever day for the past 4yrs and never had to call a tow truck.
TRD_Ian
thats a very helpfull website i bookmarked it after 2 seconds of surfing.....im wondering is there a thread on here about swaping 5s and 3s parts?? or is it even possible?lol.....i am on the fence here...i like the fact that toyota built a motor for the gt4 that you can go beat the piss out of from what i have heard they are pretty builet proof??...but i also like the idea of keeping the motor that was built to fit the certain car...no wiring issues lol there is lots of room right there for a fat turbo and maybe a nice top mount...i unno im learning more and more each visit here to the site....but i am very interestedin possibily building a hybrid kinda deal with the best of both motors if parts like intake and or heads are transferable....and or the cames rods and pistons that kinda thing....is it possibile!!???? as any one dare venture down this dark path of most likely failure lol??......im one of those people that has to be different rolleyes.gif
bringindaheat573
well there is a motor hybrid like that called a 5s-gte and there is thread about it and also a member here his name is ice and he is from australia and he is putting down awesome numbers with his 5s-gte hybrid 3s head with a 5s block which has 2.2 liter displacement rather than 2.0 on a 3s. Also some have said and tested that the 5s block is stronger than the one in the 3s also creating more torque with the 2.2 block. But im really not sure i say use the search function find the thread and read and learn my freind ! smile.gif
TRD_Ian
way ahead of you man...thank you very much for the guidence........you all seem to be very helpfull guys and gal's on this site....im glad to be apart of it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.