Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2000 MR2 3SGTE?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
FlyingBoat
I saw this add where a guy says he has a JDM 3SGTE 2.0 Turbo engine from a 2000 MR2 Spyder. Came with 51K and he had it rebuilt with adjustable cams.

Is this possible? I wrote the guy and he says, yes, it is from a 2000 Spyder. Does he just not know what he is talking about, ord did JDM put out a 3SGTE for their Spyder?

Also, I hear a lot about buying front clip to do a swap. But wouldn't a newly rebuilt MR2 engine be better? I know of two rebuilt 3SGTE MR2 engines right now that are $1200. Seems like they would be a lot better than a used one with who knows how many miles, particularly if they are rebuilt with some better components, i.e. adjustable cams.

Sounds like for the MR2 you primarily need alternator mounting bracket and a couple of things and you need the wiring harness work done regardless of whether you get a clip or not. Thinking about it, maybe it would be a good idea to get a front clip and as well as the fresh rebuilt MR2 engine, then sell the 3SGTE and other parts you don't need from the clip.
GriffGirl
According to Wikipedia the 2000 MR2 had the 1ZZ-FE engine.
DEATH
There have been quite a few of them swapped to 2ZZ-GE or 3S-GTE but no they didn't come that way from Toyota.
So it's possible either he has no idea what he has or that he does indeed have one that was previously swapped in.

There is a reason why the people who know what they are talking about repeatedly say the best way is to buy a full clip. If you are trying to get a 3S-GTE in your car for less than the cost of a clip than you really have no business making the attempt in the first place.
frisp
There was a limited run of MK2 (SW20) MR2 spyders, they did come with the 3SGTE lump. Production finished around 1999. So it is possible it's one of those.

Under 100 of them made it out of Japan though. If it's a MK3 (ZZW30), then no way, unless it's had a conversion as Death pointed out.
Smaay
the 2000+ MR2 only came with the 1ZZ FE.
FlyingBoat
Here is the guy's email response to me when I was questioning how it could come from a MR2.

What generation is this motor? I didn’t think they had 3sgte's in 2000 Mr2's that I know of?

hello,and yes the motor is a 3sgte from japan. it came out of a mr2 spider year 2000.
motor came to florida with 51,000 miles and was completely rebuild.engine was upgraded with adjustable cam gears,instead of the original bolts to tork down the head studs were used also comes with a t26 supra turbo brand new exhaust original intake 2 fuel rails one complete wirering harnest from a 90 Celica with the computer and some x-tra parts.
the motor came out of a mr2 so it should fit right in also i should fit right in the Celica because this motor sits just like both of these (side ways)
DEATH
biggrin.gif Have fun with that wink.gif
azian_advanced
mr2 spiders (sw20) never came with turbo...
Smaay
i hope you are joking. your statement is wrong in 2 ways, first off the SW20 did come with turbos, 3S-GTE, ever hears of it...and the SW20 was never a spyer, its was a hard top or T top.
azian_advanced
no jokes... the mr2 sw20 spider DID come out in the later years... never in USA though. there were only 91 of them made. and only came with 3sge from the factory.. you can also call this the TRD mr2.

look here

a good read: page 1 page 2
Consynx
what the hell is that? lol

a 3s in a newer MR2 spyder is a lot of work. Majority go 2zz, and iirc the 3s required some firewall cutting or something more extreme like that.
95st-celica
maybe he means that the motor came over in 2000..not nesseciarialy that its out of a 2000...the guy doesnt sound like he speaks english very well so maybe what hes sayin and what hea means are 2 different things...notice he says the wireing harness is out of a 90 celica...its prolly just a 2000 spyder with a 2nd gen swap...thats all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.