Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump Issue?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
elvasoshexai
for some reason, when the car is running, i noticed that i cannot hear the loud whine of my walbro fuel pump anymore... but my car still runs... is it messed up?

actually.. damn.. i just noticed that when i turn the key to the 'on' position, i can't hear the whine either...

i'm assuming the FP is still working since i can drive the car... but its not pressurizing or something so not making the whine?
presure2
QUOTE (elvasoshexai @ Sep 12, 2008 - 1:44 PM) *
for some reason, when the car is running, i noticed that i cannot hear the loud whine of my walbro fuel pump anymore... but my car still runs... is it messed up?

actually.. damn.. i just noticed that when i turn the key to the 'on' position, i can't hear the whine either...

i'm assuming the FP is still working since i can drive the car... but its not pressurizing or something so not making the whine?

easiest way to tell would be to bridge FP and B+ in your diagnostics box, and listen for it.
if you cant hear it, i would "assume" there is a problem.
lagos

Thats because the pump doesn't run until you actually start the car.
elvasoshexai
hopefully i did it rite. i just stuck a paperclip into the fp and b+ holes... seems like there's nothing in the fp hole tho... neway i didn't hear anything when i started the car

hm.. so would this mean i need 2 replace the FP or would there b a possibility of something else?
lagos
your supposed to do this before you start the car, with the key ON.
elvasoshexai
whoops, that's what i meant. i put the paper clip in and then turned it to on, not start the car. sorry
lagos
You can try checking the voltage going to the pump to make sure its getting 12v, but besides that, I wouldn't really worry about it. If the car boosts fine, and your a/f ratio is good, then it doesn't matter if you can here it or not.

My Oem supraTT pump is silent and works great.
elvasoshexai
QUOTE (lagos @ Sep 12, 2008 - 3:21 PM) *
You can try checking the voltage going to the pump to make sure its getting 12v, but besides that, I wouldn't really worry about it. If the car boosts fine, and your a/f ratio is good, then it doesn't matter if you can here it or not.

My Oem supraTT pump is silent and works great.

how do you check the voltage?

my a/f ratio is kinda lean right now
lagos
umm with a multimeter
What is your a/f ratio under boost?
elvasoshexai
based on zeitronix readout, af ratio ranges from 13-16

used to get lower readings between 10-13

and actually i can slightly still hear the FP whine.. but just today it all of a sudden became a lot quieter

also, so where do u stick the multimeter to check voltage?
lagos
13-16 afr under boost is enough to blow your motor. You should bee seeing 10-12. So it sounds like you DO have a fueling problem, or there is an issue with your tune.

You can stick the multimeter into the harness plug thats under your rear seat. If you get less then 12v with b+ and FP bridged then you have a wiring issues somewhere before the pump. If your voltage is fine, then you have to take the pump out and investigate some more. Just dont do any electrical testing to the actual fuel pump, while you have the gas tank cover removed for safety reasons.
elvasoshexai
hm ok so my tune somehow got corrupted... its all gd now =D

mayb i rly should get an afr gauge now hah
WannabeGT4
Just a thought but... if you just filled up with gas your pump will be much quieter... Sound waves can't travel as easily through liquids as they do through air.

The only time I can hear my walbro pump is when I'm well below 1/4 tank.
Dr_Tweak
I've observed that often the Walbro pumps are quiet at first, until they get warmed up. I have also heard them randomly stop whining randomly for various periods of time.

-Doc
elvasoshexai
QUOTE (WannabeGT4 @ Sep 16, 2008 - 11:58 PM) *
Just a thought but... if you just filled up with gas your pump will be much quieter... Sound waves can't travel as easily through liquids as they do through air.

The only time I can hear my walbro pump is when I'm well below 1/4 tank.

hm... i did notice that it was a lot quieter the day after i filled it up.. maybe i was a bit paranoid since the car wasn't driving too good.

luckily re-uploading the tune fixed it.

QUOTE (Dr_Tweak @ Sep 17, 2008 - 9:43 AM) *
I've observed that often the Walbro pumps are quiet at first, until they get warmed up. I have also heard them randomly stop whining randomly for various periods of time.

-Doc

that's good. hah at least now i know it's still working properly
easternpiro1
i dont remember EVER hearing my FP. as quiet as could be, guess thats good, because when i drove in my friend's 2g eclipse, i heard that sucker whine ALL the time... annoying....
Consynx
Make sure you really are running a walbro. Depending on where you bought it there's a LOT of fakes being sold.
I had a similar issue where I ended up replacing a fuel pump, only to find out that it was still present, and went away with a re-tune. My pump was changing tones and oscillating in loudness, it was strange.

just a link for ya: www.suprastore.com
I believe the last time i was there, there was a AEM Wideband for $250 new.
You mentioned having a reading, but then later posted needing an AFR gauge.
easternpiro1
im pretty sure it was a walboro, tweak told me himself... but they differ from what i understand?
malecrod
I have noticed mine is noisier in very hot weather and it is indeed intermittent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.