6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Spitrod

These plugs seem good in theory...
but do they really work? Has anyone tried them in
our cars? Good? Bad?

I'm thinking about getting a set..if no one here has
yet, I guess I'll be the test monkey.
Spider77
Yeah, I've got a set in there. To be honest, noticed a real slight diff. But that could also be cause im taking better care of the celi than previous owner. I was kinda sold after I saw them run a test on the e-3's vs conventional plugs. A few other people I know run these plugs in their vehicles as well.
Spitrod
I know what you mean. When you take care of a care, it's like you're nursing it back to life.
You can feel it start to run and drive better. It warms up to you like a dog. Hah.

Yeah, I was curious because of the design and the way they fire. I think I'm going to
go ahead and try them out. The worst that can happen is I end up putting my NGKs
back in. No big deal...

How much did you pay for them??

Hanyo
whats the theory that makes them sound so great?
Spitrod
There's no "ceiling" to the spark. There's an open hole for the plug to fire straight down.
A diamond shaped electrode instead of the conventional type. So supposedly, it's creating
a bigger "bang for yer buck"...
Hanyo
QUOTE (Spitrod @ Sep 19, 2008 - 8:40 PM) *
There's no "ceiling" to the spark. There's an open hole for the plug to fire straight down.
A diamond shaped electrode instead of the conventional type. So supposedly, it's creating
a bigger "bang for yer buck"...

that is a pretty good idea, too bad electricity doesn't work like that.
6GenCelicaST
The spark will fire in three different spots. In essence it's a good idea, but really there's only one spark happening at one time. There really just a waste of money. But that's just my two cent's.
Bitter
just get the cheapest plugs you can buy for your car and side gap them, tada! same theory and premise but ALOT cheaper.
95celgt
i saw the e3's a while back at pepboys, but my buddy there said that they are not as good as the iridiums i run on my n/a cars....

now what im REALLY interested in is the PULSTAR capacitor type plugs...
Spider77
The e3s just made a bigger spark vs conventional plugs. The did some dyno runs to show how it compared with power and fuel efficiency. And apparently the EPA states that these plugs also help vs emissions.
Spitrod
Tell you what,
I'm going to waste my money on them, put them in for two weeks and decide if there's any
difference from my NGKs. I'll sell them on the site for $1 when I'm done. biggrin.gif

-Test Monkey
Hanyo
E3 review.

For everyone saying that the e3 spark plugs are gonna improve performance and what not.

Let me put it in the the most sincere way that I can. I generally never flame people and am pretty open minded to what others say.

But with E3 giving bigger spark is false. Spark size is dependent on your ignition coil. If you want a bigger spark you will need a more powerful coil and a wider gap on your spark plug. If you gap your spark plug too wide, your engine can actually blow out your spark like a candle.

For everyone saying you will have more then one spark is also false. Because electricity will travel to the shortest path. I Have seen spark plugs fail where the spark will jump from the electrod to the side of the spark plug producing a bad spark. Electricity will take the shortest path. Auto makers have tried to get two sparks in an engine for years. Look at old ford rangers and toyota 3tgte engine.

Notice 8 spark plug wires on a 4 cylinder? Why would toyota produce so much extra hardware when a simple spark plug design would create 2 sparks? The answer is because you need two different spark sources to get two sparks. Simple is that! Spliting a spark into two is very 1) unreliable 2) very hard. Imagine your engine reving at 7000 rpm and every 3rd spark you get is just a single spark. Know how bad that would be for performance not to mention reliability?

Another thing I HATE about the E3 spark plugs are all the sharp corners on the spark plug tip. When your running an engine hard, any small protruding medal in the combustion chamber will start to heat up/glow hot. So with extra thin pieces of medal, such as the E3 corners on the spark plug tip, will just cause a higher chance of detonation.

I have not event began to explain the flame front and how that is related to spark plugs.

I hope this post is informative to everyone who decide to do a search on these spark plugs.

The only spark plugs design that is not conventional spark plug design I can recommend and stand by are the denso iridium spark plugs

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.