Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Performance Cluth
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
nemesis
Hi, pals. I have an ACT Race Disc clutch in my car for about three years now and I am just begininng to have problems with it. First of all, this clutch has always been stiff (it's like going to the gym to work out legs). Under high RPM, however, I expereince a delay or (jam, if you will) in upshifting from 2nd to 3rd and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, and I sometimes get locked out of 4th gear. If anyone is using this clutch, have you experienced such problem before?

What is the best aftermarket clutch for the 6 gen?
I run about 400+ horses, so the stock clutch will not be able to hold the power.

Thanks,
Al.
Dr_Tweak
Wow that sucks. I personally run the Competition Clutch stage 4 on everything I drive. It takes *little* bit of getting used to but once you do, you won't ever want to use anything else. I'm assuming this is for a 3SGTE? I have the stage 4 complete kits for $379 plus shipping, they hold 400ft/lbs easily (rated up around 500 actually).

-Doc
DEATH
QUOTE (nemesis @ Oct 10, 2008 - 7:09 AM) *
I run about 400+ horses, so the stock clutch will not be able to hold the power.

Not throwing the BS flag here but I see nothing in your profile that would suggest you are over 300HP - got a dyno slip on that? And if so - let us know how you got there so we can play too. tongue.gif

The fact that the ACT clutch held up to that power for 3 years says much for ACTs already killer rep IMO. Get another one new - why would you look elsewhere if you got 3 years out of it? I know I change my clutches every 2 years at minimum just cause there is nothing like a new clutch [ACT all the way for me but others too obviously] and the peace of mind that I'm not gonna be stranded due to something i could control myslef so easily. Then again, I've said it before - I probably overmaintain my car biggrin.gif
nemesis
I haven't updated my profile in over a year, buddy! I have a 20-G turbo with methanol running 291bs of boost. Still have doubts???

p.s. I had a street tune. Have yet to put in on the dyno, but the tuner says that the car is well in the 400s. And it sure feels that way.

SMILE!
nemesis
DEATH, my car wasn't drivable for an entire year because it was under the "knife." So, technically speaking, I have only used my clutch for just about two years.

PEACE

QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 10, 2008 - 12:50 PM) *
QUOTE (nemesis @ Oct 10, 2008 - 7:09 AM) *

Not throwing the BS flag here but I see nothing in your profile that would suggest you are over 300HP - got a dyno slip on that? And if so - let us know how you got there so we can play too. tongue.gif

The fact that the ACT clutch held up to that power for 3 years says much for ACTs already killer rep IMO. Get another one new - why would you look elsewhere if you got 3 years out of it? I know I change my clutches every 2 years at minimum just cause there is nothing like a new clutch [ACT all the way for me but others too obviously] and the peace of mind that I'm not gonna be stranded due to something i could control myslef so easily. Then again, I've said it before - I probably overmaintain my car biggrin.gif

DEATH
QUOTE (nemesis @ Oct 10, 2008 - 12:41 PM) *
I haven't updated my profile in over a year, buddy! I have a 20-G turbo with methanol running 291bs of boost. Still have doubts???
p.s. I had a street tune. Have yet to put in on the dyno, but the tuner says that the car is well in the 400s. And it sure feels that way.
SMILE!

Unlike others I don't doubt claims like this until something proves otherwise. No disrespect intended - I meant the "Not throwing the BS flag..." part as a means to convey that. The internet is bad about not showing intentions like that. wink.gif
Batman722
QUOTE (nemesis @ Oct 10, 2008 - 1:45 PM) *
DEATH, my car wasn't drivable for an entire year because it was under the "knife." So, technically speaking, I have only used my clutch for just about two years.

what was done to the car when it was under the "knife" ?
Bitter
avoid spec, or more specifically spec stage 2.
nemesis
Under the "knife" refers to a "heart" transplant (3SGTE SWAP) and transmission swap. In addition, I changed my entire set up by upgrading to an after markt turbo with methanol application.

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Oct 10, 2008 - 11:34 PM) *
QUOTE (nemesis @ Oct 10, 2008 - 1:45 PM) *

what was done to the car when it was under the "knife" ?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.