Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: N/A hp or boost?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
bseaman_5
I've been reading a lot about boosting the 5sfe and I think I have decided it just wouldn't be practical being that my celi is my dd... I would love to boost it but I'm thinking it would almost just be more beneficial for me to leave it as a N/A and just try to get as much HP out of it as I can.. So what I'm really looking for is what things can I do to get the most HP out of my car? I have already done a CAI, Header, and 2.5" decat Custom exhaust all the way back. I have read that I can't advance the timing on my car cuz the ECU fixes it back to stock settings.. I've read about webcams?? But don't know much about it, and what could I do for my Fuel management? But if I could even get a list of things to add as much HP that would be great. And I'll prolly end up asking questions about a lot of stuff cuz I'm still learning here.. Thanks in advance..

B.
Spider77
Believe me, Im pretty much in the same boat w/you. But you can only push an NA build so far and you pretty much have the eaiser stuff covered (header, CAI, custom exhaust). You could get your cams hardwelded , but at 664 (i just checked), plus the downtime (if youve never done it before) to install you would be better off saving for a swap. Read this. I pulled the link from celiatech and it pretty much addresses your question. "A 150rwhp or higher 5SFE should be able to be built for for less then $2000 if you find the right deals and install everything yourself." 2000 for 150 dosent seem like it would be worth the money. Another 3000 and I could have that MR2 q/3sgte already in it.
bseaman_5
Ok well then I guess my a new question to be asked then is boosting my 5sfe a ridiculous idea if I plan on having it as a dd? I would love to have some hp under the hood but at the same time this is my baby, the car I will be driving around for every day driving. . For people who have boosted do you still use your car for daily driving or do you have a second car for your daily driving?
Tigawoods
shan's is a dd i think. so far so good with hers.
DEATH
The question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you are capable of having and maintaining a boosted 5S-FTE as a DD. Do you have the money to do it right, are you gonna put the right parts to make it reliable or are you gonna do like half the people on here and question why every part needs to be added and try to cheap out around it, does your motor have too many miles/wear on it, etc etc etc? And above all - have you done ALL the reading and learning you need to to understand what's what on a Turbo system - too little research has to be the #1 cause of failure in turboing these motors. Not using the right parts has to be #2.
I'm not casting aspersions here - these questions and others are really the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself. You might be just the kind of guy to do it perfectly with all the right parts and do all the required maintenance - IDK.
Presure2 [Sorry to keep using you as an example bro] has been 5S-FTE and DD for over 3 years now - others didn't make it 6mos before scrapping the project and selling off their parts.
Good luck whatever you do.
bseaman_5
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Oct 13, 2008 - 4:57 PM) *
shan's is a dd i think. so far so good with hers.

Do you what she is running exactly?
bseaman_5
Death: thanks for your response, and I kno I'm not ready to start a project I still have much research to go through. I kno that for sure and I'm not the type to question if or why I need a part if anything it would be the purpose of it, the function so I get a better understanding, like I said I have much more researching left to do. I have read presure2's name in a lot of what I've already read so maybe I should be messaging him? I understand it will take a lot of work and quite a bit of money to get this done but when I do get this project off the ground I will do it the best way I possibly can not half a$$ing any of it, I will have to build it to last, this is my only car. Now you did say something about too many miles, my car has 146xxx on it, I hope that isn't too much. .
Spider77
I have to agree with Death here. If you are going to do it, know what your doing and dont skimp on the quality. Probly one of the biggest points made (at least from what I gather) is that with the amount of money your going to put into turboin your 5s you could spend some more and do a 3sgte swap. Or if youd like to have some more HP but not alot more you could drop a 3sge into it.
bseaman_5
Death: thanks for your response, and I kno I'm not ready to start a project I still have much research to go through. I kno that for sure and I'm not the type to question if or why I need a part if anything it would be the purpose of it, the function so I get a better understanding, like I said I have much more researching left to do. I have read presure2's name in a lot of what I've already read so maybe I should be messaging him? I understand it will take a lot of work and quite a bit of money to get this done but when I do get this project off the ground I will do it the best way I possibly can not half a$$ing any of it, I will have to build it to last, this is my only car. Now you did say something about too many miles, my car has 146xxx on it, I hope that isn't too much. .
Tigawoods
146 imo is up there. especially if you are going to keep DDing it until you actually start the project.

unless if you plan on doing internal work as well to ensure that the engine will hold up a little while longer.

read up on some other people projects to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into

1bwilsons

supershannons

bseaman_5
Thanks, I will when I get home ha, I'm on my blackberry at work for the moment. I realize its a lot of work and quite a lot of money but I'm really interested in doing this. I think for me it would be a lot of fun, the project and the accomplishment!
Tigawoods
you will learn ALOT haha
bseaman_5
Good! I love learning about these cars! I didn't really care about the other cars I had because the were handed to me but this car I bought and I've put quite a bit of time and money into it and its fun for me. I'm sure there are many headaches coming my way but I'm determined to make this happen.

But basically it is possible and not unpractical for me to have a boosted dd? It will just add to a little more fun to my daily driving! I can already see myself burning through the gas. . Oh well it will be worth it! Well as I'm reading and gathering more information I'll prolly use this as a reference to ask questions. .
Tigawoods
QUOTE (bseaman_5 @ Oct 13, 2008 - 7:36 PM) *
Good! I love learning about these cars! I didn't really care about the other cars I had because the were handed to me but this car I bought and I've put quite a bit of time and money into it and its fun for me. I'm sure there are many headaches coming my way but I'm determined to make this happen.

But basically it is possible and not unpractical for me to have a boosted dd? It will just add to a little more fun to my daily driving! I can already see myself burning through the gas. . Oh well it will be worth it! Well as I'm reading and gathering more information I'll prolly use this as a reference to ask questions. .

OMG YESSS
bseaman_5
Ha ha ha! I take it you have already hit this part ha!
Tigawoods
havent been a part of the 5sfte crew but other work done has been a PIA

but in the end it is worth it
bseaman_5
Good to hear, about it being worth it ha.
DEATH
QUOTE (bseaman_5 @ Oct 13, 2008 - 6:17 PM) *

Sounds like you have the right attitude and the right idea. Now what you need to do is read everything you can pertaining to the 5S-FTE. Start with Presure2's build thread and the two links someone gave you above. Then make your way over to MR2oc where many of those guys have done the same thing and read as much as they have to offer. After that assess your goals and start coming up with a plan. In the meantime be saving LOTS of money as no matter what the bill ends up being for parts there will be lots of other things that pop up that need attn.
146k is alot IMO - especially if it hasn't been perfectly maintained. Your best bet is to plan to do a rebuild and maybe build up some of it with upgraded parts at the same time - don't let that discourage you. If you do your own rebuild it doesn't cost a terrible amount of money.
That being said - for the price of a rebuild and the Turbo components you could probably swap a 3S-GTE - just another option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.