Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from Ireland!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
willirl
Hey all,
My name is will, live in ireland and drive a 96 SS2!

had it near a month now imported it from japan, after coming from a 280bhp s13 200sx the power drop was a little disheartening but the comfort and lower running costs (yes i ran the 200 and now the celica as my daily smile.gif) more than make up for it!

today i changed the wheels on it coz i hit a very deep pothole 3 days ago and cracked 2 of the circlar rims that came on the car frown.gif and was quoted €3000 to replace the set which i simply dont have! swapped the super strut suspension back to standard today too coz its always knocking, im not prepared to pay €2500 to replace it with new parts and i want coilovers too smile.gif

just want to tidy it and use it as a daily cruiser, im building a V8 E36 for my power pangs smile.gif

thanks for reading!
manphibian
Welcome mate smile.gif

wow! so how much to change back to mcphereson from superstrut? not many people have done that!

and get some pics up smile.gif
willirl
i bought a crashed ss2 with mcpherson, and swapped everything over!the crashed car came with the new wheels and hids so i was delighted with it biggrin.gif

not sure bout the uk but theres a fair few mcpherson cars being broken for parts here in ireland.. its a pity coz the superstrut is lovely but so problematic!

new pics 2moro biggrin.gif
parriehunter
Welcome.

x2 on the pics and converting back to mcpherson.

What v8 are you putting into the e36?
manphibian
QUOTE (willirl @ Oct 26, 2008 - 12:00 AM) *
i bought a crashed ss2 with mcpherson, and swapped everything over!the crashed car came with the new wheels and hids so i was delighted with it biggrin.gif

not sure bout the uk but theres a fair few mcpherson cars being broken for parts here in ireland.. its a pity coz the superstrut is lovely but so problematic!

new pics 2moro biggrin.gif

Yeah, there are loads of both types, but nobody ever changes from superstrut, i assumed it was a really difficult job?

If it's cheaper and easier to change to mcpherson than to replace the ss, i'm amazed more people don't do it....
willirl
@parriehunter: thanks mate smile.gif modifying an M62B35 ie 535i V8 to run on TBs with megasquirt and the like. its really just a testbed car for myself and 2 of my mates to try out new ideas on. its a bit ghetto.. but what can you do wink.gif

@manphibian: its very easy! whip off subframe and top mounts, remove rack (and ARB for a bit of clearance) swap over and bobs your uncle! i know im a mechanic and all but it took me 6 hours, but i was going very slowly watching as i went along how best to do it next and taking loads of breaks for food and to stretch tyres onto rims using hairspray!
manphibian
QUOTE (willirl @ Oct 26, 2008 - 12:15 AM) *
@parriehunter: thanks mate smile.gif modifying an M62B35 ie 535i V8 to run on TBs with megasquirt and the like. its really just a testbed car for myself and 2 of my mates to try out new ideas on. its a bit ghetto.. but what can you do wink.gif

@manphibian: its very easy! whip off subframe and top mounts, remove rack (and ARB for a bit of clearance) swap over and bobs your uncle! i know im a mechanic and all but it took me 6 hours, but i was going very slowly watching as i went along how best to do it next and taking loads of breaks for food and to stretch tyres onto rims using hairspray!

cool!

Well if you ever do it again, take loads of pics. I reckon there are hundreds of GT-4 owners facing £2k ss bills that would love to know smile.gif
willirl
yeah i will do. i didnt think that anyone had that much hassle with it..

if i get a chance even 2moro ill jack the crashed yoke up and see can i get decent explanatory pics!
RickJamesBish
Oh cheerio, greetings from over the pond eh?
willirl
yup way across it alright biggrin.gif

are there any other irish members here?
RickJamesBish
Ay, I hail from the land o' the Luck o' the Irish. Where our wool sweaters are so thick, even the stubbiest-fingered nun could poke you in the ribs and it wouldn't bother ye none.
paul_gt4
where in ireland are you buddy as i'm up in derry and i also have changed the gt4 back to macpherson..........
willirl
@rick ya cant beat the aran sweaters out working a grand sunday morning biggrin.gif

@paul hey man im down in kildare! yours being a gt4 had you any hassle changing it over or same as myself? i dont know if theres any differences, this is my first toyota im still learning tongue.gif
RickJamesBish
You do know that's from Family Guy, and that I'm really not Irish?
willirl
i didnt, but i do now!
RickJamesBish
Hahahaha, that sounded so fake...but I am Dutch though.
willirl
i thought naples was in italy tongue.gif
RickJamesBish
Naples is in Florida.

frown.gif
willirl
ohh.. but is there not a naples in italy too?

sorry.. i would think europe before america frown.gif
RickJamesBish
The one in Italy is Napoli, aka Naples.

Yeah, I moved from Switzerland to Florida in 2000...it's nice here, but it's not like good ol' EU.
willirl
really?

im thinkin of moving to the use probably cali in the near future.. just not liking ireland much!
vincent_doggy
QUOTE (paul_gt4 @ Oct 27, 2008 - 6:48 AM) *
where in ireland are you buddy as i'm up in derry and i also have changed the gt4 back to macpherson..........

Sorry to Hi-jack thread, dude... are u withdraw the stock 4pot Brake kit?
willirl
no problem man, yeah i have for now just to save time but they will be back.. i think ill rebuild and repaint the calipers first!
paul_gt4
I still have the standard brake set up on my car vincent but i will be changing very soon to 10pots on the front and 6 on the rear when money permits.

And Will my car was brought in through England and i'm the 3rd owner since it was brought in, so i don't know of any problems my car had but the guy who owned it 1st in the UK spent an absolute fortune on it and looked after like it was his kid, then the 2nd guy to own it couldn't afford to run it and didn't have it all too long, then it came to my hands. And another fortune is being spent on it as we speak.
Tony-B
Alright Will

I'm Tony from Donegal. I live in Monaghan (engaged to a moanghan lass) so I'm not that far away from you at all.

I drive a 98 SS-11, but unlike you i went from a 60hp Fiat punto to a 197hp Beams! Back up in the hills, the place is coming down with S13/S14's. Them or wee civics.

Welcome aboard!
RickJamesBish
Ay, good bunch o' lads on these here forums.
paul_gt4
QUOTE (Tony-B @ Oct 29, 2008 - 4:18 PM) *
Alright Will

I'm Tony from Donegal. I live in Monaghan (engaged to a moanghan lass) so I'm not that far away from you at all.

I drive a 98 SS-11, but unlike you i went from a 60hp Fiat punto to a 197hp Beams! Back up in the hills, the place is coming down with S13/S14's. Them or wee civics.

Welcome aboard!

Hey tony where in Donegal are you from, helping a mate there that lives in Letterkenny arrange stuff for his restoration of a ST165 celica. It will be different when its finished.
Tony-B
I'm from Muff (Best village name ever!!).

I described your project to my brother and he knows of your car alright. He said your girlfriend's big brother was in the year below me in school. Know their family well, her da drinks in my local.

You might know him actually.... He drives SW20's. He has an Uber riced white one fully carbon'd etc and a special edition blue GT-S (i think???) lightweight, savagely tuned.

I'm sure i'll run into you one day.

T
Akirad1
QUOTE (willirl @ Oct 26, 2008 - 4:34 AM) *
yup way across it alright biggrin.gif

are there any other irish members here?

Not quite Full irish But im Scott-Irish, the Name be McElvaine sept of the lands of Ayrshire
paul_gt4
QUOTE (Tony-B @ Oct 30, 2008 - 12:24 PM) *
I'm from Muff (Best village name ever!!).

I described your project to my brother and he knows of your car alright. He said your girlfriend's big brother was in the year below me in school. Know their family well, her da drinks in my local.

You might know him actually.... He drives SW20's. He has an Uber riced white one fully carbon'd etc and a special edition blue GT-S (i think???) lightweight, savagely tuned.

I'm sure i'll run into you one day.

T

your brother is Ian then i take it, know of him and my woman would know him well, lovely cars he has about him, didn't know he seen the new ST205 i had, but he knew i had the carlos sainz as i passed him in it regularly. My womans from just up the road in Iskaheen and Ian would see me driving her orange puma pretty regular from her house. Hope to have my car back on the road in the next week or so, fed up waiting as it was supposed to be out last saturday but having problems sourcing oversize valves but eventually got them in the states.
Tony-B
Aye thats him!! Must get a toyota photoshoot with us all in the summer if your up for it.
paul_gt4
no bother any time
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.