Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should i replace belts...A/C,etc
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
captb
just wondering if its time that i should replace the timing belt, or other belts now. car has 115,00 miles on it and not sure if it has been replaced in the past. car is running fine as far as i can tell but every once in a while it feels like its lacking in power at 1st gear when i start it and when i turn on the a/c it feels like its lacking as well. not really concerned with these to much cuz (1)engine is still cool=more friction and (2) a/c adds additional stress. but my main concern is the a/c belt is loud. i dont notice it so much cuz car came with an intake but my mechanic uncle told me its pretty loud. i wanted to replace all the belts at the same time; the skinny a/c belt, the belt to the alternator, and the timing belt at the same time without the waterpump. so just wondering....

1) is it hard to replace these belts? (they just slip off and on but im more concerned about proper tensioning)
2) should i replace all the belts, or just leave the timing belt when i have too?
3) or should i just add more tension to the a/c belt for a quick fix?
chu808
the timing belt might be difficult if you don't know what you are doing. when you replace the timing belt i advise you to change the waterpump too, just because inorder to get to the water pump you would have to take out the timing. when you are doing timing you also should look at your cam gears and bearing, and all the timing pullies.

the other belts that connect to your ac, power stearing, and alternator are called serpintine belts. they really don't have to be replaced unless you notice cracks in them. because they seem lose could mean they are weared out, but you can adjust the tensioner on those.

if you want a little more hp then you can also advance your timing, this is by adjusting the angle on the dizzy. the only thing is that if you do this you are going to have to run higher octane

hope this helps
captb
helps alot. my engine is running fine for now. ill probably wait for my car to reach 60,000 miles of my ownership which should be around 10,000 miles. anyways for now ill just tighten up the belts or replace if they look bad. thanks again chu. hey just noticed, you from hawaii? anyways thx again.
Bitter
might as well replace all the belts at once since they have to come off to do the timing belt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.