Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help after installing fpr and fuel pump, and car sputters
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
02bluerolla
Well I been gathering parts for mycar ., supras 550, fpr, walbaro fuel pump, powerfc , 3inch downpipe, a slightly bigger charge cooler for my w/a setup and next on the list is the ct20b and a tune biggrin.gif

well today i decided i wanted to install the fpr, injectors, and the fuel pump raise the bost to 15 psi . After iam finish i start up the car and it idles good, so i let it warm up and take it for a spin. iam on second gear and decide to revved up a little , i reached 4500 rpm and the car sputters really bad. (btw this is on 8 psi) so i go home and check the fpr, and it reads 55psi. ..... I tought it should be 35-38? well now iam stumped on why my car is running bad so any help is really appreciated.
bccentaur3
what brand fpr do you have? I'm hoping its not the cheap ebay crap.
_Jim_
so it sounds as tho you have a GEN2 3SGTE. So you installed the 550cc injectors, did you also install your PowerFC, and tune for them. If not then that is your problem. And for what is is worth, you wont really NEED the PowerFC with you setup. Especially now, with you being on the ct26 (from what it sounds) you have plenty of fuel even for 15 psi with your stock 440cc injectors, walboro fuel pump, and FPR. You can go about 275whp on those injectors, you wont be able to get anywhere close to that with the ct26. Depending on how much boost you want to run, you will have trouble reaching the limits with the CT20B. You will be able to run about 18 psi and be around 270ish WHP. Just something else to throw at you, hope it helps. But back to your original question, if you haven't tunned for your new 550cc injectors, then that is your problem.
lagos
^ listen to this guy, he knows what hes talking about.
You also installed an fpr and say its reading high. Did you try adjusting it, with the vac line disconnected?
02bluerolla
QUOTE (_Jim_ @ Nov 8, 2008 - 7:47 AM) *
so it sounds as tho you have a GEN2 3SGTE. So you installed the 550cc injectors, did you also install your PowerFC, and tune for them. If not then that is your problem. And for what is is worth, you wont really NEED the PowerFC with you setup. Especially now, with you being on the ct26 (from what it sounds) you have plenty of fuel even for 15 psi with your stock 440cc injectors, walboro fuel pump, and FPR. You can go about 275whp on those injectors, you wont be able to get anywhere close to that with the ct26. Depending on how much boost you want to run, you will have trouble reaching the limits with the CT20B. You will be able to run about 18 psi and be around 270ish WHP. Just something else to throw at you, hope it helps. But back to your original question, if you haven't tunned for your new 550cc injectors, then that is your problem.

no ihvent installed my power fc yet cause it hasnt arrived in the mail. well i guess ill have to go back to the 440s from what your telling me but what is the fpr suppose to read? i heard 38 psi but idk btw i have 2nd gen 3sgte and a Aeromotive FPR

oh btw i checked the spark plugs and on the tip it looks like a white spot....
lagos
the fpr is ADJUSTABLE. Meaning that you ADJUST it to the base pressure that you want.
And yes, you need to put your 440s back in. There is no reason to run 550s with the ct26 or ct20b.
presure2
QUOTE (_Jim_ @ Nov 8, 2008 - 8:47 AM) *

great post jim.

follow jim and arts advice, you dont need the 550s, your choking on fuel.
02bluerolla
QUOTE (presure2 @ Nov 8, 2008 - 5:23 PM) *
QUOTE (_Jim_ @ Nov 8, 2008 - 8:47 AM) *

great post jim.

follow jim and arts advice, you dont need the 550s, your choking on fuel.

thanks biggrin.gif
02bluerolla
well i did put my 440 injectors back and the cars still sputter, also i cant seem to get fpr lower than 55psi .. could that be the problem
lagos
are you adjusting the fpr with the car shut off, and just the fuel pump running?
02bluerolla
QUOTE (lagos @ Nov 9, 2008 - 1:27 PM) *
are you adjusting the fpr with the car shut off, and just the fuel pump running?

no with the car running , am i doing it wrong?
02bluerolla
QUOTE (02bluerolla @ Nov 9, 2008 - 1:34 PM) *
QUOTE (lagos @ Nov 9, 2008 - 1:27 PM) *

no with the car running , am i doing it wrong?

well i got the fpr to read
35 psi but its still sputters.... my friend says it could be the fuel filter or....and to check the gap on my spark plugs...
02bluerolla
anyone
lagos
Your supposed to adjust it with the engine NOT running, just the fuel pump on. Thats your base pressure. If thats what your doing, then it should be set correctly, but why did you have problems adjusting it in the first place? Are you sure you installed it correctly?
02bluerolla
QUOTE (lagos @ Nov 11, 2008 - 5:29 PM) *
Your supposed to adjust it with the engine NOT running, just the fuel pump on. Thats your base pressure. If thats what your doing, then it should be set correctly, but why did you have problems adjusting it in the first place? Are you sure you installed it correctly?

well at first i had installed it incorrectly but then my friend help me and looked through the forums on how to install the fpr...and bingo !1 i had the fpr lines backwards and i never took off my stock fpr so i had completly wrong so then we installed it correctly http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdf/13101.pdf. What is the bas pressure for the 3sgte?
02bluerolla
well i just came back from re checking my fuel pressure and at idle it stays at 32 psi but when i take off the vac line its at 41 psi and it still sputters in high rpms !!!!
bccentaur3
Try this. Leave the vac line on and jump the diagnostics box. FP and B+. Turn the key one click and adjust that pressure to 32 psi. Either do it that way or have you car idle and pull the vac line and adjust that to 32 psi. Either way should work, because I think thats what you are suppose to have the fpr set to before taking it to get tuned.
celica7afe
is still running the same kindasad.gif
bccentaur3
are you serious? Did you check the spark plugs? Maybe that is an issue. Whens the last time you've changed the fuel filter?
02bluerolla
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Nov 12, 2008 - 9:39 PM) *
are you serious? Did you check the spark plugs? Maybe that is an issue. Whens the last time you've changed the fuel filter?

ok heres what i done i have change the spark plugs , spark plug wires, fuelfilter, i tried two spare afm but still the same ....
bccentaur3
you have the 255lph fuel pump right? Do you have a wideband installed?
02bluerolla
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Nov 12, 2008 - 10:26 PM) *
you have the 255lph fuel pump right? Do you have a wideband installed?

no i dont have a wideband since iam just runnig 8psi for now
bccentaur3
You invested in all that stuff and NO wideband???? Invest in one. It will tell a lot.
DEATH
I can get you one pretty cheap right by my house/your work. LMK when you're ready. I also have that EGT gauge I need to return anyway cause it's orange but I got a HELL of a deal on it so if you want it I'll pass that deal on to you [Not that you need it for this problem but while it's there snatch it up if you want it].
02bluerolla
why would i need a wideband right now since i am running 8psi? , like said before i was gathering parts . before i had the adjustable fpr, the car was still running like this . i thought my stock fpr was messed up so I changed it kindasad.gif thats why i dont think i need the wideband RIGHT now.
bccentaur3
I think I know what you car is going through, but I never found the issue. My car died about a year ago because the fuel pump quit on me in the middle of no where. At the time I was also gathering my turbo parts, so I decided to drop in the 255lph fuel pump and the car started and idled fine, but the car ran like straight up dookie. Maybe the car was choking on fuel, but either way I slapped on all the turbo parts and got it tuned and the car ran solid no sputters. Maybe its just bad gas, I don't know.
02bluerolla
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Nov 13, 2008 - 1:03 PM) *
I think I know what you car is going through, but I never found the issue. My car died about a year ago because the fuel pump quit on me in the middle of no where. At the time I was also gathering my turbo parts, so I decided to drop in the 255lph fuel pump and the car started and idled fine, but the car ran like straight up dookie. Maybe the car was choking on fuel, but either way I slapped on all the turbo parts and got it tuned and the car ran solid no sputters. Maybe its just bad gas, I don't know.

hmmm good point ill put my stock fuel pump and see was up .
bccentaur3
Although I wouldn't advise using the stock fuel pump with the 3s swap.
02bluerolla
lol ok then i have no idea what to do then , i gueess i can change my distributo cap and rotor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.