Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: detailed info on removing the manual transmission
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Decalsondemand
hi i know i have been a pain here lately this is just my first time doing any kinda of work on a front wheel drive car and i dont want to mess anything up the print out i have say disconnect manual transmission lines well when i removed my air canister i see 2 cotter pins connecting the cables is that what i disconnect? also what else do i disconnect as far as hydrolics go?? the engine i am installing was setup for an auto tranny before what all will have have to do??? flywheel?? pilot bearing?? any help will be great you guys have seriously been more help then any dealership or any mechanic....cant wait to get this up and running so i can get more involved with the group!!!!
presure2
QUOTE (Decalsondemand @ Nov 18, 2008 - 11:31 AM) *
hi i know i have been a pain here lately this is just my first time doing any kinda of work on a front wheel drive car and i dont want to mess anything up the print out i have say disconnect manual transmission lines well when i removed my air canister i see 2 cotter pins connecting the cables is that what i disconnect? also what else do i disconnect as far as hydrolics go?? the engine i am installing was setup for an auto tranny before what all will have have to do??? flywheel?? pilot bearing?? any help will be great you guys have seriously been more help then any dealership or any mechanic....cant wait to get this up and running so i can get more involved with the group!!!!

ok, now, i am gonna assume since your thread about engine removal, your removing both together (which is the easiest way BTW)

remove the 2 clips you saw, and pull the shifter cables off the arms.
a bit behind them, (more to the center of the car) you will see that they are still attached to the tranny, there are 2 u clips that hold them in place, for me, a good pair of needle nose vice grips work wonders to help get them out. once they are off, the cables can be taken off the tranny and moved aside.
then on top of the tranny, there is a rubber line, that connects to a hard line, which is held in place with the same type of u clip that holds the shifter cables in, just a bit smaller. before you remove that clip loosen the fitting holding the lines together, and be sure to use a FLARE wrench when you do it, otherwise you will prolly just strip it.
then there is a plug for the reverse light right near that line, and the speedo plug on the back of the tranny, near where the shifter cables attach.
that should be everything (other than axles and mounts)
stephen_lee
QUOTE (Decalsondemand @ Nov 18, 2008 - 11:31 AM) *

You should always replace the pilot(or throw out) bearing when you get the chance. But yes, take the flywheel off your original engine, take it to a machine shop and get it resurfaced, then swap it over to the new engine.
Decalsondemand
ok is that the same as the imput shaft bearing?? im kinda learning as i go lol
GriffGirl
Do you have a picture or diagram or something you're working from, where you can point out what you're referring to as the input shaft bearing? I googled it because I don't know if they're the same thing or not and while it appears to be, I don't want to misinform you. The throwout bearing or pilot bearing is the bearing that goes on the spline thingie sticking out of the transmission in the bell housing. The bearing is held in place beneath the fork by a wire clip that hold it down in 2 places.

Yeah, I know it's not exactly technical language, but it works! tongue.gif
Decalsondemand
no i sure dont have a diagram but if u know where i can find a pic or something that kinda gives me an idea what to look for that would be wonderful.....this whole thing has been a nightmare kind of but i know i will apreciate it when it is dont knowing i did the work
GriffGirl
I really can't find a picture... I found this photo but ignore the yellow arrow. I'm thinking now that the pilot or throw-out bearing isn't the same as the input shaft bearing. The input shaft bearing appears to be a bearing that has more to do with actual gear changing than disengaging the clutch. The throwout bearing (it will come with your new clutch if you bought the clutch kit and not just a clutch plate alone) is in the very middle of your transmission when you view it from the end shown here in the photo.
Decalsondemand
cool that helps alot appreciate it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.