Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going 7A-FTE at 140k+
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Delta_Phoenix
I'm wanting to eventually do a turbo project on my ST. The only thing is, my engine has about 136k miles on it right now and I won't have the money to do this for quite awhile. I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it to turbo my engine w/ this much mileage.

I'm also planning to rebuild beforehand.
5sfeTurbo
I would say no, reason being your engine is "over the hill". It will wear alot quicker throwing on some forced induction.
But if you can rebuild the motor to take a beating then yea that'l work.
Then again the best part of having a car is to push the limit, do what you think(within reason) is worth it.
Delta_Phoenix
During the rebuild, should I have the engine bored a little to gain some more power? I know the block will hold up to anything, but like I said, all internals will need to be replaced with better parts. That needs to happen anyway.

I'm tired of only being able to beat Saturns and the occasional stock Civic.
5sfeTurbo
QUOTE (Delta_Phoenix @ Oct 7, 2003 - 1:06 AM)
During the rebuild, should I have the engine bored a little to gain some more power? I know the block will hold up to anything, but like I said, all internals will need to be replaced with better parts. That needs to happen anyway.

I'm tired of only being able to beat Saturns and the occasional stock Civic.

Keep in mind these cars (6gc) were never ment to be drag racing champs. Speed is great if you can afford it, but you have one of the best bult cars Toyota ever cotemplated. Do what you can to the motor but unless you can throw alot of money at the engine, do all the bolt ups, P&P and tune it. But always remember when you see thise civics, think of the MSRP on his to yours--thats the difference not your power.
Delta_Phoenix
So in other words, don't plan on pushing 20psi out of the 7A? biggrin.gif

I was hoping after rebuilding and whatnot, to hit AT LEAST 12psi. But I dunno.

BTW, how much does a P&P go for nowadays?
5sfeTurbo
hmmmm....ballpark..maybee $700+.
macavely
i say do it.... F everyone that say don't... if you are will to try it and spend the money to do it.. do it.... and if your going to rebuild the engine go for it.... and just know that you not going to be the only one that will turbo your st.... i'll be doing that in a few...
Delta_Phoenix
QUOTE (5sfeTurbo @ Oct 7, 2003 - 3:31 AM)
hmmmm....ballpark..maybee $700+.

owned.gif

that's a lot of dough
Delta_Phoenix
QUOTE (macavely @ Oct 7, 2003 - 3:41 AM)
i say do it.... F everyone that say don't... if you are will to try it and spend the money to do it.. do it.... and if your going to rebuild the engine go for it.... and just know that you not going to be the only one that will turbo your st.... i'll be doing that in a few...

good attitude. mostly what i was thinking initially. and another thing is that we may not be the only ones that do it, but also we will be the few that do.
Mynzeyes
dude. mike. you know i'm down for a rebuild and 7AFTE. just lemme know when and where, and i'll be there to help you slap that thing together. also, we can talk to my cousin and see about porting/polishing for free, he'll just teach us how to do it on your motor. wink.gif. and, if that's not an option, i have a friend that will do it for NO WHERE NEAR 700...

-John-
97sccelica
before anything go and get a compression/leak down test.

that willt ell you how healthy your engine is.

if it burns oil, dont try to turbo it.

as for the rebuild. for it to be worth it you would need to change for lower compression pistons and forged rods would be nice.

a stock 7afe in good condition can take 10psi intercooled with out problems. so if you make it a fresh engine with better internals, 12psi is very possible.
Delta_Phoenix
because John is the bling bling king biggrin.gif

i know for a fact my engine burns the **** out of synthetic oil, but that's because of the mileage. i'm running GTX high mileage right now, but i haven't checked my oil since i put that in.
Inferno
I can't wait to read about the process that you go through. Good luck! I say go for it!
5sfeTurbo
I know a couple people on the board t-charged the 7afe( cant recall who), just grab one of the and find out their application.
FallenHero
Re-build it with pistons and rods from a 4agze, and install a metal head gasket with HKS rings. That'll get you boost ready in no time at all. I wonder if the Gze crank will fit our cars....

Jon
Delta_Phoenix
I was going to bore the cylinders about .02 if possible just to get them nice and smoothe. Would this have any effect on the bore of the pistons from the 4a-gze? If so, where could I find custom pistons to fit?

Sorry, I'm not the expert on engine internals. Especially when it comes to finding out what's going to fit and what's not going to fit.
Delta_Phoenix
Another thing. How much can the 7a-fe tranny take before having to be replaced or modified to support the extra torque?
97sccelica
QUOTE (Delta_Phoenix @ Oct 7, 2003 - 9:04 PM)
Another thing. How much can the 7a-fe tranny take before having to be replaced or modified to support the extra torque?

about 250hp is what i have heard but no one has every really tried

and about putting a 4agze crank in the 7afe, sure it would be stronger but you would lose .2 liters of displacement.

also, im not sure what you be involved in installing a 4agze crank. but the rods and pistons with good rings would be worth while

BTW, 7afe already has a metal head gasket.
FallenHero
lol, I had no clue they used metal head gaskets... Are you 100% sure? If I only had money.... somebody needs to get on E-bay. There are two sets of 4agze pistons and rods up for under $200!

Jon
97sccelica
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Oct 7, 2003 - 10:01 PM)
lol, I had no clue they used metal head gaskets... Are you 100% sure? If I only had money.... somebody needs to get on E-bay. There are two sets of 4agze pistons and rods up for under $200!

Jon

i am very sure of it.
Delta_Phoenix
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Oct 8, 2003 - 1:01 AM)

Jon

LINK ME NOW!!! biggrin.gif
Delta_Phoenix
nevermind, i found them.

BTW, don't you guys even think about getting them before i do biggrin.gif

still need to know if these are going to work if i bore the cylinders in my 7a
FallenHero
No. they wont. There is no need to bore your cylinders. Most people just like the way that sounds. You don't need to weaken your engine any more than it is, especially if you are going to boost.

Jon
Delta_Phoenix
what's a reasonable price for those rods & pistons? the guy said he'd hold them for me if no one bid on them.
zipstrips
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Oct 8, 2003 - 11:08 AM)
No. they wont. There is no need to bore your cylinders. Most people just like the way that sounds. You don't need to weaken your engine any more than it is, especially if you are going to boost.

Jon

word, i wouldnt bored the 7afe unless i was going to sleeve it. my 1st motor was bored .20 over and it caused nothing but problems with boost. so i got a much better motor and started over. when i get some extra cash the old block is going to be check out and probably sleeved, than some custom internals building it bottom up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.