Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is 1996 better than 94-95?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
NWCelica
What changes were made to make the 96 GT better than the 94-95?
Akimbo
In 1994, the Celica was only available in coupe and hatchback form. Air bags were standard on all models, and anti-lock brakes were available on all as well. In 1995, Toyota introduced the convertible version of the sixth generation Celica. The Celica convertible was available only in GT form, and featured a power soft-top. The 1996 sixth generation Celica had the option for side skirts, and the front grill area of the car was redesigned to include optional driving lights, which were standard on GT models. In 1998, the ST model was no longer offered, and all new Celicas in the US were now GT models. In 1999, the coupe model was discontinued. In 2000, the seventh generation Celica was introduced in the US, replacing the sixth generation Celica.

The 1996 Celica received optional side skirts to improve its aerodynamic efficiency, as well as a redesigned rear spoiler. Also available were optional driving lights in the redesigned grille area (standard on GT models). To celebrate 25 years of Celica, the SS-I and SS-III Special Edition were released in Japan, and the 25th Anniversary ST Limited and GT Convertible marked this occasion in the USA. These Special Edition Celicas have special emblem on the front fenders, and the inside by sunroof, the name Celica is printed on the front seats as well.

For 1997, the only change in the North American Celica was the discontinuation of the GT coupe. Another minor change was given to JDM Celica in December 1997. Projector headlights are optional for all models. The 3S-GE engine on SS-II and SS-III received VVT-i, the SS-III was given a BEAMS Tuned 3S-GE engine. WRC style high rear spoiler returned on the GT-Four and also standard on the SS-III.

In 1998, the underpowered ST model was discontinued, leaving only GT models. In addition, the GT coupe returned after a year's absence. The Celica lineup was simplified even further for 2000 by eliminating all coupes, leaving only the GT Liftback and GT Convertible. In UK, Toyota released the SR based on the 1.8 ST. The SR has full body kit, mesh grille, 16 inch alloys, and upgraded sound system. The GT-Four was still offered in Japan. Also in 2000, Toyota released pictures of their XYR concept car, which would soon become the next Celica.
NWCelica
Wow, you work for Toyota dont you smile.gif Thanks
delusionz
That's from Wikipedia, One thing they don't mention (correct me if its diff in the US) but in 1995 side impact bars became mandatory, and possibly the crash bar at the front, I remember my old '95 had it, never had a '94... 1996 has a newer diagnostic port, 1996 is also the year of the facelift and other cosmetic shiit like yer carpets on the door and on the seat changed colour, oem sideskirts also came about in 1996... 97 has more cosmetic changes, mostly inside the car and 1998 has even more cosmetic changes.. the ultimate finally got it nice...
block
i believe the 96+ celica had the metal head gasket
Lil-Joe101
I gotta 94 its got the front and side crash bars. and its the JDM spec.
nik
94 to 95 had obd 1
96+ had the obd 2
GriffGirl
96+ had soundproofing!
Akimbo
I work for Copypaste
GriffGirl
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.