Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone with aftermarket 5sfe cams?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
blu94gt
Well I've been looking at bumping up the power in my 5sfe just for the sake of having a little more oomf on the highway and such, don't need a street machine or anything. I was going to do a full exhaust/intake, and adjust timing and such but can't do anything with it on a 99, and with the cams geared together you can't really do much with them to change overlap or anything. I found the Webcams 294 setup to be rated pretty well for a mild cam, puts power where it needs to be, etc. I just don't want to bother with a piggyback or standalone with this car, after tuning my WRX that way it just isn't worth it without all the performance to go with it.

Any other suggestions on cams? Maybe ones that are better/cheaper (cheaper is good lol) or a shop that will weld and re-grind my stock cams for a good deal?
Euphoria
I dunno about over there but I know the price it would be to get cams regrinded here in australia it would be better off getting a 3sge with alot more than 20hp to gain.
presure2
dustin had the webcams in his 5s. search the username batman722.

the car felt amazing after the cams, the top end is 1000X better.
hurley97
WebCams will make a custom grind for you if you ask. They can go for anywhere from $500-700 though. Manny was looking into Colt Cams for a while and they are supposedly cheaper and they grind away the stock cams and provide bigger shims to compensate as opposed to WebCams who do a hard weld and then regrind them which actually makes the cams a little bigger in the right places. Although I'm not sure of the results from the Colt Cams since I haven't heard from anyone who has gotten them, whereas I have personal experience with the cams from WebCams in two cars.

As far as reliability, I'm not sure what you mean by that but they really don't change anything in terms of making the car more or less reliable than it already is. You would get a little more out of them from a piggyback fuel control system but I know with my cams I really didn't make huge changes to the fuel trims and the car was just fine without any corrections anyway (pre-turbo that is).
celicabob
OKay, so I do have some money that I want to spend/invest in my 94 gt, how much do you think it'll run to have a mechnic put them in. Here's what I've found so far
$ 500-600 for the cams,
$ 150-250 in special parts and shims, and

$ how much??? in mechanic fees/installation,

Anyone got a rough estimate

6G96GT
Well I am currently having my head rebuilt and it was estimated at 5-6 hours to take it off so I would assume it would be 3-4 hrs to remove the cams and then back in so maybe 600 bucks? Not too sure how accurate that is, I'm just trying to compensate the whole head disassembly over just removing the cams and reinstalling them.
hurley97
I would probably say it'll be similar to a timing belt job since you have to take it off (or at least partially off) to get them out, plus maybe an hour to shim the valves. I think if I were to charge someone to put in reground cams I'd go with about 5hrs, the cost will depend on the hourly rate your mechanic charges. An there will be at least two days down time as you have to get the cams in and measure the clearances before ordering the correct size shims.
6G96GT
Just out of curiosity, would webcams cause more pressure on the bottom end maybe hurting the rings? I'm talking about a block with over 100K on it.
BonzaiCelica
reviving this old thread. getting a 294 grind on cams for a 3sge beams, is the same as getting them grinded for the 5sfe.

anybody have a link to the webcams site, or have an idea of how much the pricing is exaclty??
presure2
www.webcamshafts.com
BonzaiCelica
thanks! is this mid to upper range hp increase with no loss in torque right?
trdproven
since cams is a big upgrade NA wise do I need a fuel regulator?
presure2
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Jul 22, 2009 - 4:33 PM) *
thanks! is this mid to upper range hp increase with no loss in torque right?

dustin (batman722) lost a few hp down low, as did i, but it REALLY dont feel like it with as much as it wakes the car up from 4400-redline.

no, you dont need a AFPR with the 294 grind.
azian_advanced
QUOTE (trdproven @ Jul 22, 2009 - 9:56 PM) *

no. you only need it if you're running a high flow fuel pump.

what you may need are upgraded valve springs & retainers for aggressive cam profiles but that depends on how the company design the cams. JUN and HKS make some but i'm not sure if the 3S ones will fit the 5S.
presure2
QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Jul 22, 2009 - 11:43 PM) *
QUOTE (trdproven @ Jul 22, 2009 - 9:56 PM) *

no. you only need it if you're running a high flow fuel pump.

what you may need are upgraded valve springs & retainers for aggressive cam profiles but that depends on how the company design the cams. JUN and HKS make some but i'm not sure if the 3S ones will fit the 5S.

you dont need a high flow fuel pump, and you dont need an AFPR either for the mild webcams grinds.
3s cams do not work on the 5s.
turbochloe
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jul 22, 2009 - 6:54 AM) *
www.webcamshafts.com

i haz they are good lol
Smaay
i think he was talking about the springs and retainers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.