Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Swap Update
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Coomer
Sup guys,
I've been asked by a lot of people how my swap is going, so I'm just going to give you guys an update. First, I recieved my original engine from Storm Performance, found out that it was dead, and had them send me another one. After recieving the next engine, there were still a couple maintenance parts that I had to get. After I had the second engine and most of the parts, I was still waiting on the Exedy clutch kit, only to find out that it was on backorder everywhere. So I cancelled my order, and ordered a Clutch Masters Stage One kit for the AE86 Corolla GT-S. A week or so later, I dropped off my car, and the engine was pulled. Two days before I left for school, I painted part of the engine bay and gave my mechanic the go ahead to complete the swap. This was more than three weeks ago.

Last weekend, I came home to find out that the engine wasn't even in the car yet, and he needed a part from the dead 20V that's now sitting at my house in order to mount the tranny to the engine. Also, he had to find a throw-out bearing for the clutch that would work, as the one from the kit didn't fit whatsoever. A week ago today, these two things were taken care of, and then he said that it'd be done by this weekend.

Today my mechanic called me and told me that he'd been in court all week because the city was taking him to court to try to shut down his shop for some ridiculous reason, and he said that the engine still isn't even in the car yet. He promised me, however, that if the car isn't done by the end of next weekend, he won't charge me a dime though, so either my car will be done next weekend or I'll save $6-700. So by Monday the 19th, I should have my car with my AE101 4A-GE. biggrin.gifI'm so excited to get my car back, and this weekend I plan to do more work to the car while I'm home and engine is pulled, such as running new wires for my new lighting idea and cleaning up more of the wiring inside the car. smile.gif

By the way, if any of you are considering buying an engine from Storm Performance, I highly recommend against it. Once they've got your money, they're near impossible to get a hold of, and they'll charge you extra for stuff that you initially pay for, like my AFM for my engine. Also, I still haven't received my axles, and I ordered my stuff over two months ago! I don't need them to do the swap, as the AT200 axles work fine, but the AE101 axles are stronger and more durable, and it's the principle that counts. I've called Storm Performance multiple times, left many messages, and emailed them lots of times, and I can't get a reply from them. I've given up on my axles, and they'll pay, oh will they pay.

They don't realize that they've messed with the wrong kid. I'm in the process of starting a website against Storm Performance, and I plan to actively discourage anyone from buying anything from them. The website should be online soon, and then maybe I'll get some sort of a response from Storm. It's pretty sad when you have to create a website against a company in order to get a response from them.
edo17982
Coomer RULEz!!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Anyway keep us updateed on your swap!!!!!!
Good luck bro!! wink.gif
Kwanza
That's awesome coomer... be sure to get some numbers on the engine's *real* capabilities. I know xpander's dynoed (i forget exactly) about 10-15hp more to the wheels than GT's (5sfe)... which is good, but still less than expected... wish you luck...
FallenHero
Myabe in stock form... but the 4age can go way on up there as far as power goes.

Jon
YellowTwo
haha, thats funny ur making a website just to discourage people from going there. it is sad. and post some pics of ur car when u get it back! sounds really nice! wink.gif
ToYCeLi8
QUOTE (Coomer @ Oct 10, 2003 - 3:39 PM)
They don't realize that they've messed with the wrong kid. I'm in the process of starting a website against Storm Performance, and I plan to actively discourage anyone from buying anything from them. The website should be online soon, and then maybe I'll get some sort of a response from Storm. It's pretty sad when you have to create a website against a company in order to get a response from them.

Damn you're really lucky Coomer, that mechanic is pretty cool. Well if you do do something like that website, add ToySport to that site, They're the same way.

Maybe you should add that to the site?? A Bad Sellers section???

David
snadman
4AGE....mmmmm. Can't wait to see it...and it will look so fine in the yellow ride.
Matthew
QUOTE (ToYCeLi8 @ Oct 11, 2003 - 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Coomer @ Oct 10, 2003 - 3:39 PM)

Damn you're really lucky Coomer, that mechanic is pretty cool. Well if you do do something like that website, add ToySport to that site, They're the same way.

Maybe you should add that to the site?? A Bad Sellers section???

David

haha nice

i heard a lot of things about toysport
Drocay
Thats great man, Cant wait to here about final completion.
macavely
i wish you the best of luck kid can't wait to see those pic of the engine in your celi...
Andason
QUOTE (ToYCeLi8 @ Oct 10, 2003 - 11:09 PM)
Damn you're really lucky Coomer, that mechanic is pretty cool.

Not really, if a mechanic took three weeks or whatever extra I would be furious. It's hard to find a good mechanic these days. Let them know you have mob ties and they will take like 2 days.
DustyBurns30
if i were you i would call the better business bureau.
Coomer
QUOTE (DustyBurns30 @ Oct 12, 2003 - 9:53 AM)
if i were you i would call the better business bureau.

I plan to, but they're not a member of the Better Business Bureau I found out, so I'm not sure if that'll help.
DustyBurns30
damn, i didnt know that a company had to be a member of the bbb, i thought the bureau was there just to kick ass and take names.

that sucks!
Coomer
On a positive note, I finally got a reply back via email from Storm Performance today. They told me that I should've recieved my axles already, but that's what they told me the first time I called them because I didn't have my AFM or axles. They said they'd send me more information in a few hours from the time I received the email at 9:00 AM this morning, but I didn't get any more information from them. So I'll see what happens with this.
FallenHero
As long as you have the bill showing what you paid for, you have their balls also.

So,give em a tug, and see what happens!;)

Jon
Chrobis
Good luck on going after Storm, Jarco seems to be the best place to get engines. Venus is a close second...
sphinx
yeah. goodluck coomer.

i hate having to deal with BS company's that don't live up to their word and have a POS customer service department.

I heard someone mention ToySport as a POS place. I say you add them to that site you're making. They're a bunch of bit***s on the phone, and even worst in person.

Either way, good luck dawg.
blkGT
Yes chrobis has nothing good to say about toysport either.
celicaBEst
i have heard nothing but good things about Jarco. smile.gif
Inferno
You know we all support you, Coomer. Good luck! I can't wait to see the update.
sphinx
There are some ppl who talk smack about venus, but i have nothing bad to say about them.

Venus is aight in my book.
XSTeknique
Jarco = great company! My swap's not done yet so I have no idea if EVERYTHING is in working order, but the engine does crank and has started up. I got my clip sent to me within 2 days of ordering it. Very kind, very professional and very fast!
FallenHero
Well, It's almost friday...

Coomer
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Oct 15, 2003 - 9:45 PM)
Well, It's almost friday...

I know. smile.gif I'm so incredibly excited to get my car back. I seriously can't sleep at night because I'm so anctious to get my car back and it's all that I can think of. :-p
sphinx
yo coomer.

If i were you, i would be praying that they finish on Monday.
You dont pay them, you have extra money to upgrade, and you get your car back.

But I would honestly want to pay them anyways, specially if it runs like a dream. I mean, they work hard to get your car done and a good mechanic is hard to find sometimes.

That's why i prefer doing all my mechanic work.

Good luck bro
snadman
Hey man, get a video camera and shoot a "Coomer Video" lol. I wanna see your car in action, cuz your car is very well rounded so I wanna see it in action!
97sccelica
QUOTE (snadman @ Oct 15, 2003 - 10:50 PM)
Hey man, get a video camera and shoot a "Coomer Video" lol. I wanna see your car in action, cuz your car is very well rounded so I wanna see it in action!

i wanna see the RPM needle at 8k, lol
snadman
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Oct 16, 2003 - 9:17 AM)

Hell yeah!!!
97sccelica
QUOTE (snadman @ Oct 16, 2003 - 8:53 AM)

Hell yeah!!!

i have seen a pic of a b16 swapped CRX with the RPM needle pegged at the end on the gauge

it was both funny and cool.

coomer, do you still ave the stock rpm gauge?
FallenHero
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Oct 16, 2003 - 10:05 AM)

Hell yeah!!!

i have seen a pic of a b16 swapped CRX with the RPM needle pegged at the end on the gauge

can you imagine the sound?

Jon
1bwilson
QUOTE (FallenHero @ Oct 16, 2003 - 9:46 PM)
QUOTE (97sccelica @ Oct 16, 2003 - 10:05 AM)

Hell yeah!!!

can you imagine the sound?

Jon

Just wanted to continue the Quoting... biggrin.gif But yeah Coomer you should get some vid.

-Bryan-
Coomer
I do still have my stock tach, but I'm trying to find a JDM one.

I talked to my mechanic today, and he said that he needs a couple parts from the 7A-FE at my house, and he's pretty sure that the car will be done Sunday! biggrin.gif I'm so excited!
FallenHero
So, in theory, the car should be done for free. But because he realizes it, he told you it was your fault so as to not have himself accoutable. Is that about right?
Andason
anctious = anxious. Just figured I'd let ya know. smile.gif I guess this thread supports the thing I've been hearing the most about the swap: have everything ready before you start.
Coomer
Sigh...I'm so discouraged right now...I got home and looked at my car, and the engine is in, but we're having major troubles trying to get the power steering to work. frown.gif The cable thingy with the metal loop on the end that is supposed to reach the pump isn't even close to reaching, due to the mounting location of the pump on the other side of the engine. I don't want my car to not have power steering, so I don't know what to do.

I wish now that I wouldn't have done the swap, as it's just pissing me off. For five weeks straight, my mechanic has told me "One more week.", and every week, it's not done, and I don't think it'll be done this weekend. Once it's done, if it's done, it'll probably be too late to have it up at school, because the mountain pass I have to go over will have tons of snow on it really soon. So I probably won't have a car for at least a few months. frown.gif

On top of that, Storm Performance has been impossible to deal with. Now they're saying that I had to pay extra for my ECU and AFM, and that's the reason for the COD charge. Also, they said something about me having to pay another $60 for the axles. I'm thinking that I'm going to need to talk to one of the lawyers I know and write up a threatening letter to them, demanding my parts and my money back.

Tonight has just not been my night. I also found out that the order for my gauge was cancelled because it isn't in stock, despite the fact that the day I ordered it, it was in stock. mad.gif I wish I would've left my engine stock, as right now it seems like it's never going to be done. My car is my life, and not having it for more than half of a year isn't sounding too appealing to me. frown.gif
Matthew
dont worry it'll all be worth it in the end

blkGT
QUOTE (Coomer @ Oct 18, 2003 - 5:39 AM)
Sigh...I'm so discouraged right now...I got home and looked at my car, and the engine is in, but we're having major troubles trying to get the power steering to work. frown.gif The cable thingy with the metal loop on the end that is supposed to reach the pump isn't even close to reaching, due to the mounting location of the pump on the other side of the engine. I don't want my car to not have power steering, so I don't know what to do.

I wish now that I wouldn't have done the swap, as it's just pissing me off. For five weeks straight, my mechanic has told me "One more week.", and every week, it's not done, and I don't think it'll be done this weekend. Once it's done, if it's done, it'll probably be too late to have it up at school, because the mountain pass I have to go over will have tons of snow on it really soon. So I probably won't have a car for at least a few months. frown.gif

On top of that, Storm Performance has been impossible to deal with. Now they're saying that I had to pay extra for my ECU and AFM, and that's the reason for the COD charge. Also, they said something about me having to pay another $60 for the axles. I'm thinking that I'm going to need to talk to one of the lawyers I know and write up a threatening letter to them, demanding my parts and my money back.

Tonight has just not been my night. I also found out that the order for my gauge was cancelled because it isn't in stock, despite the fact that the day I ordered it, it was in stock. mad.gif I wish I would've left my engine stock, as right now it seems like it's never going to be done. My car is my life, and not having it for more than half of a year isn't sounding too appealing to me. frown.gif

your gonna look back on this and say "man, im so glad i did this"
you just gotta remember coomer that you have every single member on this site backing u up with everything u do. So if u ever need anything, be sure to let us know. And good luck with the car, everything will pull thru and now u will have some speed to back up those hot looks. tongue.gif
Coomer
Well, I'm feeling better now, but my car still isn't done. I haven't been able to talk to my mechanic since Friday, but I talked to his guy who works there, and my car isn't done, so it should be free. I'll call tomorrow and find out what's up, and I figured out what to do about the power steering, so I'll tell him what he needs to do to get that to work, and hopefully my car can be done this week.
1bwilson
See your better already. I hope to see a few more people finishing up their swaps soon also. wink.gif

-Bryan-
van95st
hey coomer just catching the tail end of your swap saga....keep your chin up and don't give in to that parts dealer, they probably told a bunch of junk and that you owed them money in hopes you'd drop it. as a side note, why did you pic the 4a-ge instead of the 4a-gze? just wondering.
97GTinKC
TANSTAAFL

(There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.)
Coomer
I'm beginning to get very angry and stressed out now. frown.gif I'm almost certain that I'm not going to have any sort of a car until at least spring now, because my car still isn't done, and there is already three to four inches of snow in my hometown, so I'm guessing that there's even more snow than that on the mountain pass that I have to drive over to get here, and it's only going to get worse. frown.gif

Every Friday, my mechanic has a different excuse as to why my car isn't done, so I don't even know what to do now. I'm thinking that I may have my dad go down to the shop and talk with my mechanic, because it's just unacceptable to wait for over ten weeks for your car to be done when you're told that it will take one week.
slipgun
Good luck man! if your dad cant make any affect get a lawyer, this is getting rediculous.
KAMiX
I'd start getting aggressive, if you let them rape you they will!!
ToYCeLi8
I'd say you just go pick up your car how ever it is, and any other parts that came out of your car or new engine and take it somewhere else to get it finished. And DEFINATLY NOT pay them. 10 weeks is WAY TOO long. My swap took about 5 weeks which got me kinda ticked off too. I just couldnt wait 10 weeks. It is tme you bring someone in, 1. your DAD and 2. a Lawyer.

But good luck anyway. You'll enjoy your car when it is ready.

David
kuya1284
QUOTE (Coomer @ Nov 2, 2003 - 5:08 PM)
I'm beginning to get very angry and stressed out now. frown.gif I'm almost certain that I'm not going to have any sort of a car until at least spring now, because my car still isn't done, and there is already three to four inches of snow in my hometown, so I'm guessing that there's even more snow than that on the mountain pass that I have to drive over to get here, and it's only going to get worse. frown.gif

Every Friday, my mechanic has a different excuse as to why my car isn't done, so I don't even know what to do now. I'm thinking that I may have my dad go down to the shop and talk with my mechanic, because it's just unacceptable to wait for over ten weeks for your car to be done when you're told that it will take one week.

I know exactly how you feel bro. ELP is doing that same ish to me... giving me one excuse after another. My teammate is just about ready to pull out his LS400 and have another shop drop is the 2JZ...

I'm way in to deep, which is why I can't really do it. Basically, all that's left on my car is the engine harness, and installation of the axles and my misc electronic components (boost controller, gauges, etc)... which should take no more than 3 to 4 days to complete this...

It's been like this for the past 4 weeks, and EL keeps bumping other people's cars ahead of mine. He probably doesn't think I notice... but I've been... and taking pictures for evidence...

I'm serious... if my car isn't done by this week... he's going to be receiving a very nasty letter from me...
sphinx
QUOTE (kuya1284 @ Nov 3, 2003 - 12:43 PM)
Basically, all that's left on my car is the engine harness, and installation of the axles and my misc electronic components (boost controller, gauges, etc)... which should take no more than 3 to 4 days to complete this...

dude, that's still too much time for them to do that. The engine harness is where their time is going, but there's no excuss for not having installed the axels and the electronics.

Installing axels - 10 min. MAX and that's still too much time.

Installing boost controller - 1 hour.

Installing guages - 15-20 min. for one guage.

That can be done in 1 day. As for the harness, you should ask them how long it's gonna take. If they say a couple of days, then i say bug them when those 2 days are up. And if it's not done, then you stick it to them.
97sccelica
exactly why i prefer to do most work to my car.

also why i opted for a turbo setup back when i didnt have a second car, now i have a 93 protege DX tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.