Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUSE HELP!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
BrandonToyota
I have recently been having problems with my ECU-IG fuse poping and need some help. I have a 99 celica with the 4th gen 3sgte swap that i completed last year. The car keeps blowing the fuse in the fuse panel inside the car. I don't even really know what the fuse does or how to go about troubleshooting the problem. If anyone has any insight please help! Thanks
bccentaur3
Is it the AM2 Fuse? 30amp fuse IIRC.
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Mar 5, 2009 - 10:00 PM) *
Is it the AM2 Fuse? 30amp fuse IIRC.

no it's the 15 amp fuse furthest t to the left in the row with only 2 fuses, the panel said "ECU-IG"
bccentaur3
ahhh the efi fuse I would assume. You don't have any wires cut that are touching eachother? Is the fuse blowing when you try to start the car?
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Mar 5, 2009 - 10:38 PM) *
ahhh the efi fuse I would assume. You don't have any wires cut that are touching eachother? Is the fuse blowing when you try to start the car?

yes the fuse blows as soon as you go to the on position, but no cut wires are under there, i pulled apart all my interior plastics looking for something out of place and no wires were messed up. the most recent work i had done was a viper alarm system installed about 4 months ago by 6th avenue electronics. and i checked all the work and wires the guy spliced into and it all seemed fine.
bccentaur3
Who did your wiring harness? How long have you had your swap?
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Mar 5, 2009 - 9:48 PM) *
Who did your wiring harness? How long have you had your swap?

Dr. Tweak at Pheonix Tuning in Savanah, GA. He specializes in them and i havn't had any problems with it. I finished the swap just over a year ago, i got the car running and back on the road Jan. 2008. It's my daily driver and I did all the work myself.
bccentaur3
Well if Doc did it, theres no issues with his conversion. Did this just happen recently?

WOW!!! I just read that the fuse inside the car is popping not the one in the engine bay. Do you have a turbo timer?
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Mar 5, 2009 - 9:57 PM) *
Well if Doc did it, theres no issues with his conversion. Did this just happen recently?

WOW!!! I just read that the fuse inside the car is popping not the one in the engine bay. Do you have a turbo timer?

yea it's the one inside the car. i had a turbo timer but i took it out.
bccentaur3
was it hard wired into the ignition wires? Or was it plugged in with a harness?
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Mar 5, 2009 - 11:56 PM) *
was it hard wired into the ignition wires? Or was it plugged in with a harness?

it was hard wired in.
bccentaur3
check the wires in there to see if there is any of it exposed and touching one another. Maybe some of the electrical tape got loose.
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (bccentaur3 @ Mar 6, 2009 - 12:01 AM) *
check the wires in there to see if there is any of it exposed and touching one another. Maybe some of the electrical tape got loose.

ok ill deff check again. it's been really cold out so i havn't been working out there too much. thanks do you by any chance know what that fuse protects?
bccentaur3
Sorry I don't. I would assume to keep the ecu from popping. I really don't know.
stephen_lee
i'll have a look at the diagrams and ill reply what it protects and where i think there may be problems
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Mar 6, 2009 - 12:40 AM) *
i'll have a look at the diagrams and ill reply what it protects and where i think there may be problems

Ok, Thank you
stephen_lee
power flows:
battery>main fusable link>100A alt>40A AM1>IGN switch>15A ECU-IG

Circuits Protected:
A/C pressure switch
ABS ECU(antilock brakes)
Cruise Control ECU
Shift Lock ECU(auto only)
Water Temp Switch (for engine fans)
Engine Main Relay(coil side)
Fan Relays 1 & 2 (coil sides)

Odd thing is, the engine control unit really doesnt get power from this fuse* lol
I'll reply again in a bit after i look for probable issues

*edit, put switch by accident
BrandonToyota
QUOTE (stephen_lee @ Mar 6, 2009 - 12:55 AM) *
power flows:
battery>main fusable link>100A alt>40A AM1>IGN switch>15A ECU-IG

Circuits Protected:
A/C pressure switch
ABS ECU(antilock brakes)
Cruise Control ECU
Shift Lock ECU(auto only)
Water Temp Switch (for engine fans)
Engine Main Relay(coil side)
Fan Relays 1 & 2 (coil sides)

Odd thing is, the engine control unit really doesnt get power from this fuse* lol
I'll reply again in a bit after i look for probable issues

*edit, put switch by accident

wow who would have thought!! thanks so much i appreciate it, the thing was driving me crazy
stephen_lee
I'd really check those wires the turbo timer was wired into. though i don't think thats where the problem is since its 'upstream' of the fuse (it'd be blowing AM1)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.