Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird Oil Leak
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
808Celica2damax
Hey guys, I got an oil leak. Its coming from the timing belt area. The gasket from the bottom timing belt cover is stilling out like an ear. There's no oil there in that section though right? its kinda weird, and I don't know a whole lot yet but any advice? the pictures below. Thanks!

trdproven
are you sure its from there maybe its from the back of your valve cover.
Dragondog
i too had an oil leak on the 5s not sure from were was on intake manifold side tho...thought it might be valve cover right in middle oil every were but nice clean shiny spot on middle of head comin from valve cover

check ur pwr stering it mite be commin from that....
808Celica2damax
QUOTE (trdproven @ Mar 16, 2009 - 2:13 AM) *
are you sure its from there maybe its from the back of your valve cover.

I changed the valve cover gasket earlier cause I thought it was coming out the back. But i found out the spark plug bolts were screwed on good but I still changed it and resealed it. I don't see any major oil on the back of the valve cover, but I did see a VERY small spec of oil on the edge that was fresh and wet. It only drips when I turn the engine on. But even when I do that I don't see anything coming out the back of the valve cover nor the spark plug holes.

QUOTE (Dragondog @ Mar 16, 2009 - 3:02 AM) *
i too had an oil leak on the 5s not sure from were was on intake manifold side tho...thought it might be valve cover right in middle oil every were but nice clean shiny spot on middle of head comin from valve cover

check ur pwr stering it mite be commin from that....

The power steerings in tact and not leaking. its driving me nutz.

I still need to get that gasket changed tho too right?
Dragondog
crank seal?<==== i dought it tho, crack behind timing cover? possibility it could be coming from corner of valve cover did u clean it well b4 puttin new gasket on? oil looks real light thats y i segested pwr sterin plus in same area..........hope u get figured out
808Celica2damax
QUOTE (Dragondog @ Mar 16, 2009 - 1:28 PM) *
crank seal?<==== i dought it tho, crack behind timing cover? possibility it could be coming from corner of valve cover did u clean it well b4 puttin new gasket on? oil looks real light thats y i segested pwr sterin plus in same area..........hope u get figured out

Idk. I did clean it good before putting the new gasket and cover back on. Thanks.
hurley97
Possibly the cam seal leaking down behind the timing cover and coming out of the bottom. Pull the top of the timing cover off and check to see if the cam seal is wet.
pittfirefighter
OMG i have been dealing with my 3s for too long... but just like the 3s.. isn't that the cough cough oil pump??
Terracar
Four things that could be leaking behind the timing covers - crank seal, cam seal, oil pump pulley seal, Oil pump inspection plate (very rare for this though)

-Terracar
hurley97
Probably not the crank seal as that would most likely be just below or to the side of the crank pulley, in the picture it looks more toward the back and higher up. It could be the oil pump seal, but with oil leaks you have to start at the top and work your way down so it would be a good idea to ck the cam seal first since that is the highest thing that would leak oil behind the cover.
808Celica2damax
I'm not sure, this is driving me insane. Do I need to lift the engine to check open the timing belt covers? I keep being told I have to, but i'm also told to take off the wheel well...anyone know? Can anyone point me to some good instructions to get to all of this stuff. I have limited tools and i'm not that good at engines yet. i appreciate all of your help everybody.
Rusty
is there oil on the cambelt?
808celica
Call me and i'll drive over to take a look biggrin.gif im off tomorrow and well.......temple valley is just a small walk away biggrin.gif
808Celica2damax
QUOTE (Rusty @ Mar 21, 2009 - 2:46 AM) *
is there oil on the cambelt?

idk, the back of the engine is covered in oil. The bottom at the timing cover gasket is where its dripping. It only drips when the engine is on.

QUOTE (808celica @ Mar 21, 2009 - 4:02 AM) *
Call me and i'll drive over to take a look biggrin.gif im off tomorrow and well.......temple valley is just a small walk away biggrin.gif

What time's good for you?
808celica
my bad luke frown.gif my uncle wanted to go to aloha stadium to get some stuff to ship up to the PI.

I'm guessing its the oil pump area. i dont think it would be any of the cam seals and stuff the other people mentioned. Hawaii cars rarely get that biggrin.gif jks, i dunno why??? but every car i seen, worked on, driven, sat it, smelled, and looked at that would be the last last area i would guess.

but like what everyone said. start from the top. i guess i'll go read up somemore if we can slightly drop the engine without stressin anything.
trdproven
it could also be the half moon on the valve cover gasket, did you seal it?
Bitter
cam shaft seal or oil pump seal will leak when engine is running.
luka
i can come by and take a look also if your still having issues next weekend.
Bigblock
what about getting a dye additive kit for engineoil @ napa,autozone,or going to a shop & ask the what it would cost to add the dye & check it in a day or so? friend of mine doesnt charge for doing it. the dye can be seen with utraviolet light or special glasses. he uses it to look for leaks in hard-to-see areas.
Bigblock
what about getting a dye additive kit for engineoil @ napa,autozone,or going to a shop & ask the what it would cost to add the dye & check it in a day or so? friend of mine doesnt charge for doing it. the dye can be seen with utraviolet light or special glasses. he uses it to look for leaks in hard-to-see areas.
808Celica2damax
QUOTE (trdproven @ Mar 22, 2009 - 6:23 AM) *
it could also be the half moon on the valve cover gasket, did you seal it?

Half moon is where? I'm still learning a lot. thnx

QUOTE (luka @ Mar 22, 2009 - 11:15 PM) *
i can come by and take a look also if your still having issues next weekend.

Thanks. I'm so surprised I have so many people helping. I'll let you know. Where do you live?

QUOTE (Bigblock @ Mar 23, 2009 - 10:01 PM) *

Haven't try that yet. I'll keep that in mind though. Thanx.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Mar 22, 2009 - 11:00 AM) *

It sounds like the oil pump seal, but i'm not for sure yet.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Mar 22, 2009 - 11:00 AM) *

It sounds like the oil pump seal, but i'm not for sure yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.