Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tigawoods' 1995 Celica
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > My Project
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
Tigawoods
QUOTE (msk59 @ Feb 16, 2015 - 9:47 PM) *
I hear you about the work! I would work a few hours on the engine every night provided you work day hours.

I would if I could. I live and work in Maryland and the car/engine is up in PA

I think next weekend I am going to bring back the wiring harness with me so I have something to do.

Got some coilover covers from ISC Suspension thanks to Gear One Performance
Also got the HKS MAF pipe today
msk59
and here I thought I have a long commute I drive (well van pool) 140 miles round trip every day. Painful at times because of long hours but I am home every night though

Thanks Box for the info.
BonzaiCelica
please get the fujita or apexi cone filter. tons better than that crappy hks one
Tigawoods
I am probably going to use my AEM filter that I have on the 5s
mkernz22
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 17, 2015 - 12:08 AM) *
please get the fujita or apexi cone filter. tons better than that crappy hks one

yes, because HKS would design such a crappy filter...
BonzaiCelica
i don't personaly know but people say the HKS isn't the best. especially for the picky sensor on the beams intake.
mkernz22
It's not the sensor that's picky, it's the ecu that is.
njccmd2002
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Feb 17, 2015 - 9:11 AM) *
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 17, 2015 - 12:08 AM) *

yes, because HKS would design such a crappy filter...

Yes. Just google how crappy hks is. Bad at filtration. And the foam deteriorates with time. Airflow not the best too. Several forums have adressed this. Just because its toyota or ford dont mean they recall crap all the time. People think just because its hks, its gold. Always research.
Tigawoods
ANYWAYS....

I called TEIN to check in on my overhaul since it should have been done a week ago or so.

Apparently they didnt get the payment I sent them over a month ago and never notified me or anything of the sort. They are going to check some things to see what happened on their end and then call me back.

All I know is that I am want some damn reimbursement for the time that was wasted waiting for these things to be done and now I will have to wait another month
Tigawoods
took out the cams, safc and intake to sell

then took on some more things off of the engine

cylinder no.4 valves are a little wet and the spark plug was missing, Im not sure what methods importers use for storing engines but that could be the cause of that.

the harness is off and I am deciding now If I want to extend it or cut a hole through the fire wall with and use a mil spec connector
if I was feeling frisky I would love to rewire the harness like this.
redface.gif
Davesceli
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jan 12, 2015 - 7:10 PM) *
I dont think I have ever had a shop check my lights for DOT, but for their working operations and "regulation" colors
they didnt say anything about the headlights not being DOT approved haha.
I plan to finally get that issue resolved next weekend and the coilovers off finally

TEIN got my dampers and quoted me a handful for the overhaul in which they recommended replacing all 4 piston rods which they need to get from Japan. rolleyes.gif

Both the rear piston rods had pretty bad corrosion and pitting, the fronts I didnt see any issues with but I am going to see if they can explain why they need to replace them

I got these this weekend and fiddled around with the different degree adjustments I am able to set them at.
They so pretty, i dont want to put em on

What top mounts are those??
Tigawoods
Techno Toy Tuning caster plates
HectortheRican
I could CNC those plates in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't know where to get the material for the pillow ball...
playr158
liking the progress in here thumbsup.gif
Tigawoods
QUOTE (HectortheRican @ Mar 2, 2015 - 9:40 AM) *
I could CNC those plates in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't know where to get the material for the pillow ball...

you should make some other neat things and sell them on 6gc!
YOU SHOULD MAKE ME AN EXHAUST MANIFOLD FLANGE!!!

this past weekend I didnt get to do as much as I would have liked to do.
I drained the 5S of its fluids and disassembled the BEAMS some more and cleaned the head of all the metal shavings and gunk.
I also got some Glass Bead media from Eastwood (among other things) and had a go on a bunch of items

here is the HKS intake untreated and treated

ordered a bunch of wire and dr-25 heatshrink from Prowire. hopefulley it comes in by this weekend so that I may begin to organize this mess.

Next time I am back at the car I hope to take alot more out of the car so that I can pull the engine.
Coilovers should be coming in soon as well.
Too many things to do all at once
Tigawoods
wiring shipment took longer than I expected so I wasnt able to work on that this weekend.

I sluggishly began working towards getting the 5S out. Just a couple more odds and ends.
I think I will be completely deleting the A/C, lines condenser and all.

but then got distracted by the nice weather and painted/blasted some stuff

matte yellow! Taking the intake manifold to the powdercoaters tomorrow.
Box
A/C is so cool though. tongue.gif
njccmd2002
ok, need update. do you not get vibration with those supra rotors not being hub centric?
HectortheRican
That valve cover is so crispy biggrin.gif
Tigawoods
No vibration at all berto.
Tigawoods
long day today.

TEIN update, the struts are coming in on thursday, So I hope to button those up the following week. During this upcoming week I hope to finish up the wiring harness now that I have the 5S harness out to compare it to

Motor is OUT!
Came out basically without a hitch...besides the damn vacuum lines coming from the power steering pump rolleyes.gif

jail time

Here are a couple issues id like to resolve or understand
hots spots on the basically new clutch

and this buildup on the cylinder no.4 rod
it can be scraped off but its on the up stroke to its hard to reach

I have some more stuff happening tomorrow. Along with a long shopping list of items to get for next weekend. I hope to get the motor buttoned up next weekend, and hopefully installed the weekend after. Id like to be able to either start it the day before Easter Sunday or when I get back from a work trip I am going on which will be April 16th.

The loose goal is to get this all together for Hyper Fest on May 2nd. I have the Best Toyota title to "defend"
Batman722
Love it.
HectortheRican
Regarding the hotspots, make sure the bolts are torqued. I wonder if a clutch stopper would help at all?

I've also heard that one can get hotspots from not breaking in a clutch/flywheel properly.
Box
Poor puppeh. frown.gif
Tigawoods
The wiring harness is all tagged up and the wires that needed to be extended have been extended along with running a few spare accessory wires through the bundle for water temp and oil pressure gauges. Hopefully I am able to finish the body of the harness tonight and then finish the EA1 plug tomorrow evening

The wire I am using is FANTASTIC and I wish I would have ordered more of it. Tefzel wire is super light...which is really just a novelty in my application but the 20 wires or so that I extended barely added any extra bulk.

ORC Lightweight flywheel and some ARP bolts came in

I contacted SPEC to see what they would say about the hotspots

Mike,

Hot spots are not uncommon, especially early in the life of the unit. They are common form break-in and can clean off with several thousand miles of wear after breakin. The st2 is very easy on the surfaces, so it would take a while with the st2. They wouldn’t be from dragging or you would know it…the car wouldn’t shift properly.

SPECTech

I have alot of packages coming in the next couple days just in time for the big weekend push to button this motor up.
Tigawoods
spent a good 7 hours on the harness when I got off work yesterday. I got in the zone and knocked out alot of it

here is what it looked like after the big cut

I forget what exactly this shielded wire was for but I know it is in the group of wires that mount under the intake manifold and that it was a SOBBBBBB to cut and re-solder.

here is the end result of last nights work. I had some hiccups here and there but I was able to remedy most of the issues I had (mostly being with the heat shrink sizing and lengths)

The large label-less heat shrink that I used on the thick section and in a couple other places is AWESOME. Its Raychem's 4-1 shrink ratio cover and it has a sealant on the inside walls that when shrunk down oozes out and creates a water tight seal!

I really hope that this harness works in the end redface.gif
if not I will be calling Daniel for his spare!!

attaching the sensors, fusebox and battery section tonight along with the EA1 wiring. This is the last night I will be able to work on the harness before I take it back to be affixed to the motor
Tigawoods
got a crap load of items in the mail this past couple days that I needed to finish everything up this weekend
box graveyard

I finally got the struts back from TEIN along with the spring upgrade

There are a couple more spots on the harness that I will seal up this weekend, other than that I am finished with it. I will never do this much work on a harness ever again. Thanks to MaskedMan for lending his mind on some issues I had with the EA1 plug

Box
QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Mar 26, 2015 - 9:52 PM) *
box graveyard

frown.gif
Tigawoods
Rusty
spring rates of the new ones?
enderswift
Great work with the harness!
Tigawoods
Thanks!
Id say I spent a total of 18 hrs to get it to that point.

QUOTE (Rusty @ Mar 27, 2015 - 6:55 PM) *
spring rates of the new ones?

8k front 6k rear. Hopefully I will be happy with that.

I had originally planned to get a completely custom exhaust manifold but after some back and forths with the fabricator we came up with a much cheaper solution.
He cut the flange off of the BEAMS manifold and welded it to the runners of the M2 stainless headers that were on the 5S. Boom. Knocked the price down to the ground. Once I test fit to see how it fits, ill take it back to him to fine tune it if needed, and then get it ceramic coated.

I got back the intake manifold from the powder coaters

the color isnt perfectly matched but I really dont care....more important things to worry about right now!

got the oil pan welded up real fast today so I could button up the bottom end.
JoshuaM
Nice smile.gif

8 and 6kg is what I have in my Tanabe coilovers, and I think its perfect for a sporty ride. Firm, but well damped and consistent.

BTW, have you started ordering bits for the Active Pro yet? I'm planning to get one for my new car.
Tigawoods
Part of me thinks I should have gone with 10/9 with 8/7 in the rear but that can always be changed later on. I believe the re-dampning supports maybe 1k more

I haven't yet. Probably next month. I have the motors I just need the Unit
ricochet1490
Can you take mea picture of the inside of that intake manifold? I am seriously considering a wet nitrous system.... Just want to get an idea of what it looks like.
richee3
QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Mar 29, 2015 - 9:26 AM) *
Can you take mea picture of the inside of that intake manifold? I am seriously considering a wet nitrous system.... Just want to get an idea of what it looks like.

Hasty cell phone pictures but I can get better ones if you need. Tuned intake runners FTW!

Tigawoods
had small setback

No.4 spark plug wouldnt go in. Had to take the head off and re-tap the hole. I went ahead and cleaned the threads of the other 3 and cleaned the piston tops and valve bottoms. This is something I had no intention of doing for the next couple years frown.gif

As of today the head is back on it just needs to be torqued back down. Hopefully I can get it all back together next weekend and get the motor ready to be put in.

NO.4 piston top with buildup from the ruined threads

NO.4 cleaned

NO.4 Cylinder Wall. Minimal Scuffing

dirty valves

clean valves
Box
Nasty. redface.gif
enderswift
factory crosshatch is always a good thing to see
lagos
Keep up the great work Mike. We should go for a cruise sometime this summer when you have it all buttoned up!
Tigawoods
if only I had the time money and tool(s) to disassemble the head completely and get it cleaned

QUOTE (lagos @ Mar 31, 2015 - 8:27 PM) *
Keep up the great work Mike. We should go for a cruise sometime this summer when you have it all buttoned up!

Hopefully it all works in the end, no more oil leaks means CRUISSEE CITTAAAYY!
BonzaiCelica
Sorry to hear about your cylinder head threads. I had same issue with mine but just got a used bare hea for fear that rethreading would come undone over time
Tigawoods
oooo! where did you get a spare head from?

Luckily I was able to clean and rethread the 2 bad threads in that hole rather than use the spark plug helicoil fix I had I have never used one of those before and enlarging the hole didnt sound like a fun job.
Tigawoods
ran into a small snags here and almost completed my end day goal of mounting the motor but fell short due to weariness haha

friday night after driving back up from MD and before going to see Furious7 I was able to assemble the head
I was also persuaded into getting some ARP head studs

Started early saturday morn and began putting it all back together. I had to take off the Main Camshaft cap after finding a dowel pin that had fallen out. Luckily the FIPG had been on long enough so that it would just peel off

I dont have any images of the rest of the assembling. I was in the zone I guess

Took a mental break from the motor and worked on the fuel filter and routed ducting

Took the engine off the stand and mounted the flywheel and clutch

ready to mount tomorrow...that is if I can sneak away from holiday family time

Keiri
Mike so pro!

Seriously, this looks like fabulous work; meticulous, thought out, and well-planned. This swap is coming along very nicely!
Batman722
Bout time brah.
HectortheRican
I love this thread. Everything is so clean and meticulous. It pays to be a neat freak when working on engines!
Stay BEAMS, ponyboy.
BonzaiCelica
Did you seriously cut the eBay header from 5SFE and weld it to the beams flange?
mkernz22
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Apr 5, 2015 - 7:49 PM) *
Did you seriously cut the eBay header from 5SFE and weld it to the beams flange?

Tigawoods
I wasn't allowed much time on Sunday but I was able to partially mount it. I'm away for a couple weeks so this is how it'll sit for now. And yeah I had a different idea on how I wanted the manifold but when I picked it up from the fabricator that's that I got. It's a little cheaper than him making up a new manifold from scratch...plus his welds aren't too great so the less the better.
Thanks for the compliments, it helps me wade through the sea of frustration hahaha that and the occasional YouTube video of cars racing that replenishes my desire to get back on the road
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.