Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: e brake pad install
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
I'm installing new e brake pads on my celica and for some reason the rotor isn't sliding back in. I have the adjuster squeezed as compact as it will go and still no luck. Is there a secret to this or am I just missing something? Pads are the same as what was on there previously so I know I have the right parts. Any info will be appreciated. THANKS!
Lone_Wolf
Make sure ebrake is not up, it should just slide right on if installed correctly.
Bitter
either the parking brake is on or the cable is seized in a partly on position.
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
I made sure the parking brake was disengaged. Is there an adjustment point under the car somewhere? If it's seized does that mean I need to replace the cable? Thanks for all your input guys....damn maintenance work smile.gif
Bitter
grab the parking brake cable with a vice grips and have a friend pull the parking brake handle and work the cable back and forth to make sure it moves smoothly. if it does not then you need to replace the cables.
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
So I've checked the cables and they seem to move freely. It seems like something is pulling my pads off center (toward the rear of the car) which isn't allowing me to fit the rotors back on. Do you think it's worth getting new cables and hardware kit? I can't figure this crap out! I'll post pics soon. Has anyone else had issues like this?
Bitter
i post what i post assuming you have the stuff installed right, you DO need to make sure the shoes are centered on the backing plate and the springs on correctly and the adjuster turned in.
alltracman78
Your problem is the shoes aren't centered.

Forget the cable, adjust the shoes in as far as they go, then center the shoes.
If the drum [rotor] wont' fit, move the shoes around until they do.
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
Brake1

They aren't staying centered. This is my first time doing this so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've done regular breaks before and these don't seem to be much different.
alltracman78
Make sure you have the parts installed correctly, E brake drums are slightly different than regular drums.

You can slide them around to make them centered.

Also, make sure you have the correct rotors.
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
Oh and the adjuster is adjusted all the way in.
Bitter
they're not centered. they should ride on those little pads on the backing plate, rear shoe is probably snagged on the edge of the pad.
CELL_PROTOTYPE_X
Thanks for all your help. I'll keep trying to get these centered. I found if I tighten the adjuster inside the car they center up a little better. I'm sure I"ll get it eventually smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.