Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EGR delete.
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
92-gt
Has anybody done this?

I just got done helping my friend do it on his 2jz. It wasnt bad at all on his car.

I looked at the system on my 7afe and it didnt look to be too bad.

My only concern is, will it throw a CEL?

Thanks for any input on the subject.
pittfirefighter
it will definitely throw a code for OBDII which is 96+. on OBDI it should not throw a code but is considered illegal in most states. In pa i know, it will immediately fail inspection and emissions with no recirc valve... not too mention this is not good for your car...

EGR delete is really only needed in higher HP vehicles that are NOT daily driven... i did it in my 3sgte but would never do it to my daily driven 5sfe... the reason for the valve is for emissions AND to keep your engine running colder... when the engine heats up, the EGR opens to slow down combustion and cool your engine down, by removing EGR, you are definitely lessening the life of the vehicle
soulshadow
I think EGR is actually bad for your engine. On older models it sucks out some of the exhaust that didn't burn too well and shoots it back into your intake manifold. I took my manifold off the 4age 16v and there was at least 5 mm thick of carbon build up on it inside out. EGR is only there for emissions alot of JDM engines don't even have EGR valves.
EGR opens to slow down combustion and cool your engine down, by removing EGR, you are definitely lessening the life of the vehicle
I think your talking about an IAC valve?
Culpable04
you can delete it if you wish, as said above it is illegal in most states.

to get rid of the code you just need to jump the 2 wires going to the temp sensor. that will send a low resistance reading to the ecu, so it'll think the sensor is gettting hot exhaust gas.

Sinyk
An EGR also brings inert components into the combustion chamber which help to reduce the temperature of your engine, and I believe that can help reduce knock as well as wear and tear. You may as well install a catch can as well and remove your PCV valve, because those return gases and oil into your intake and will gunk it up.
pittfirefighter
thank you SINYK

it brings in exhaust gas that is no longer combustible to lower the temperature of the engine.... trust me on this... removing it will lessen the lifetime of your vehicle... indeed it can have buildup and goes bad after time... just like everything else on the vehicle, it is not worth doing unless you are looking for FULL POWER ALL THE TIME...
92-gt
Well I knew it lowered combustion temperatures, but when I had my TB off, my intake manifold had quite a bit of carbon buildup in it.

I live in Indiana, so I dont have emissions testing.

I probably wont do it, but I was just wondering about it.
Sinyk
Give it a blast of carb cleaner and give it a scrub if you can. Also people use sea foam, but I don't know if that cleans the intake plenum.
dgbldr
A lot of bad and half-bad info here.

Do a search, plenty good descriptions on the net of how EGR works and what it does. I won't rehash it here.

Bottom line, removing it won't hurt anything and it won't do you any good either. It will just pollute the air unnecessarily.

Carbon buildup in the intake is not particularly bad unless it gets huge to the point of restricting airflow, which is rare and always due to engine problems.
pittfirefighter
please explain how having your engine overheat is not bad for it?? it WILL REDUCE THE LIFE OF YOUR ENGINE... and IT WILL DO YOU GOOD ON AN ENGINE YOU WANT FULL COMBUSTION ALL THE TIME... please don't post if you read a few articles online and still don't know what you're talking about.... try high boosting on a car with inert vapor... you will run super rich... i could go on but have more than proven my point
Sinyk
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egr.htm

EGR is considered a `metered intake leak' and was developed to reduce the combustion temperatures to below 2,500 degrees, the threshold where NOx is created. Not unlike putting a brick in your lavatory to lower the volume of water used, the EGR valve meters a readily available inert gas (actually exhaust gas which contains a lot of very inert Carbon Dioxide) into the combustion chamber to effectively reduce the volume. Smaller effective displacement means less fire, and less heat and thus lower temperatures, thereby controlling NOx emissions.

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/nov97/gas.htm

How EGR systems work The EGR valve recirculates exhaust into the intake stream. Exhaust gases have already combusted, so they do not burn again when they are recirculated. These gases displace some of the normal intake charge. This chemically slows and cools the combustion process by several hundred degrees, thus reducing NOx formation.

As the combustion chamber temperature is reduced, engine detonation potential is also reduced.

if you unplugged an EGR valve, you'd have a driveability complaint of engine ping.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

By integrating fuel and spark control with the EGR metering system, engine performance and fuel economy can actually be enhanced when the EGR system is functioning as designed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

The impact of EGR on engine efficiency largely depends on the specific engine design, and sometimes leads to a compromise between efficiency and NOx emissions. A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:
Kwanza26
QUOTE (pittfirefighter @ May 6, 2009 - 4:25 PM) *
please explain how having your engine overheat is not bad for it?? it WILL REDUCE THE LIFE OF YOUR ENGINE... and IT WILL DO YOU GOOD ON AN ENGINE YOU WANT FULL COMBUSTION ALL THE TIME... please don't post if you read a few articles online and still don't know what you're talking about.... try high boosting on a car with inert vapor... you will run super rich... i could go on but have more than proven my point

No you haven't proven anything and you're an just as confused as everyone else. EGR recirculates unburned exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber, which can cause the car to richen... BUT... it happens at low loads only and is in no way detrimental to the engine (in fact... it reduces combustion chamber temps and can increase performance on most mechanically stock motors)... unless you're talking about EGR systems older than the 1980's...heh... EGR runs on a closed loop and mechanically shuts off recirculation with more throttle. In effect, EGR affects stop and go driving predominantly and steady cruising to come degree... but during acceleration, it's OFF.

BTW... removing the EGR system to "increase" performance is pretty much a myth in most modern cars. Heck... using the EGR to improve performance is more common.
Sinyk
Good post Kwanza
Kwanza26
QUOTE (Sinyk @ May 6, 2009 - 5:09 PM) *
Good post Kwanza

I used to be pretty smart with all of this car stuff...
pittfirefighter
listen kwanza maybe i worded it wrong in my post but i am with you on this... removing the EGR is bad... but there has been performance gains seen in boosted applications such as the 3sgte... look over on mr2oc.net... there are thousands of articles about it... that is ALL i am saying about the benefits of removing the EGR... my very first post was to NOT do it...
dgbldr
QUOTE (pittfirefighter @ May 6, 2009 - 11:25 AM) *

1. You confuse COMBUSTION temperature with engine OVERHEATING. No relation.

2. Inert gases cannot affect your A/F ratio, so you cannot run rich or lean by using or not using EGR. Look up the definition of INERT.

3. No, you DON'T want "full combustion" all the time. As explained in many places, EGR at part throttle actually helps fuel economy.

4. Keep in mind EGR only works at PART THROTTLE. Not at idle and not at WOT. Once you understand and accept that, everything else follows.

pittfirefighter
1 is wrong
2 is wrong
3 is wrong
4 is... true but only when an EGR is functioning 100% properly.. carbon buildup usually causes them to stick open... wait reading it again... its WRONG also..

stop being a noob

and heres the backup for that

1. combustion temperature directly correlates to how hot the engine gets... oh that means it is the cause of overheating.. you think the sun makes your car overheat?? other factors play a huge role but the fact is if your combustion temp gets higher than the amount the coolant can remove, your car is overheating
2. inert gases take up space where oxygen molecules normally reside... since theres no oxygen and the same amount of gas... your car will run rich... less oxygen, same fuel = rich
3. try race cars... some of us drive them
4. and your EGR most definitely functions at idle... but still.. like i said.. carbon buildup and 100k miles later and its not going to function properly anyways

props to kwanza... that guy always knows his s***

one more thing... put an EGR valve on a 3sgte with a standalone ecu... here is the reason why they are usually removed like in my case.... the fact that they are sucking in unmetered exhaust gas that has an unmetered amount of oxygen cause some ecus to "freak out" is the best way to put it... i removed my EGR because of my standalone.. it was nearly impossible to tune it right with the EGR... once it is removed.. it is a walk in the park on idle and low RPM

WOULD A MOD PLEASE CLOSE THIS DISCUSSION??? THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO REMOVE AN EGR VALVE ON A STOCK TO STOCKISH CELICA... IT IS BAD... END OF STORY.
dgbldr
NO, you are giving bad info and the discussion is important because it's important to debunk it.

1. At PART THROTTLE (remember EGR only works at part throttle), you have plenty extra cooling capacity. If your cooling system can't handle a little extra heat at part throttle, it certainly can't handle WOT power for ANY length of time. Simple proof: disable EGR and drive car. It will NOT overheat.

2. That's why you have this thing called an O2 sensor and this other thing called an ECM. You put air in with your right foot, it puts fuel in to match and keep the A/F ratio where it belongs. And keep it there, EGR or not. It's called a closed loop system.

3. Race cars very rarely operate at part throttle. If you ever drove one, you'd already know that. So even if they did have EGR, it would almost never operate.

4. No, EGR does not operate at idle. There is very little air going into the engine at idle, especially on a manual transmission car. The EGR cannot accurately meter a tiny amount of exhaust gas and it would result in unstable idle.

Can't speak for your unstable standalone ECU, but it's obvious it can't cope with EGR. That doesn't say anything about EGR, it just says YOUR box can't handle it.

Oh, and another thing:

QUOTE (pittfirefighter @ May 6, 2009 - 9:51 PM) *
the fact that they are sucking in unmetered exhaust gas that has an unmetered amount of oxygen cause some ecus to "freak out" is the best way to put it...

One last time: exhaust gas does NOT contain oxygen, unless your car is running on 3 cylinders.

pittfirefighter
everything you just said was wrong... exhaust gas does contain oxygen... ever wonder what an o2 sensor measures?? lol... the unburned oxygen... thats how it determines the appropriate amount of fuel to compensate for how much oxygen went unburned... idiot....

the o2 sensor is not what is responsible for fuel input... o2 sensor corrects fuel input but is after the fact... your MAP sensor controls fuel input... or in my case MAF

the only thing closed loop system means is that its not pulling any external variables from outside the engine... learn what terms mean

you have to realize that things like oil pump and water pump run off of a belt which mean they work as hard as your engine currently is... not to mention that radiator is not able to properly do its job at part throttle... so HUNDREDS of degrees is a big deal

i never said that your car would overheat without an EGR... i only said that it getting hotter is in no way good for it... it called an exaggeration, it is used to prove a point

and i am 95% sure our EGR functions on idle... we have a mechanical EGR that functions on vacuum pressure
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.