Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you know when your turbo is out?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
mk7celica
This weekend I installed a new mbc and I had it set to stock boost at first then I raised it to 14lbs. I forgot to tighten a clamp for the coupler on the turbo going to my fmic. Well the engine killed I pulled over and put it back on tightened it and drove home. I decided to go for a test ride and I was in 2nd gear building boost got to about 12lbs and I heard a woosh of air like the intercooler pipe popped off again so I pulled over checked it and all other clamp an they all was on and tight. So I started to drive again and noticed my turbo was not making and sound and I was not building no voost. The car is like a n/a engine now less power no boost and the turbo lines,couplers ect are on and tight. I kind of hear a low clanking noise in the turbo I think. Is my turbo bad? Car runs and starts fine just have no boost and no sound from my ct26? whats the deal?
aznpnoiboi55
QUOTE (mk7celica @ May 23, 2009 - 9:13 PM) *
This weekend I installed a new mbc and I had it set to stock boost at first then I raised it to 14lbs. I forgot to tighten a clamp for the coupler on the turbo going to my fmic. Well the engine killed I pulled over and put it back on tightened it and drove home. I decided to go for a test ride and I was in 2nd gear building boost got to about 12lbs and I heard a woosh of air like the intercooler pipe popped off again so I pulled over checked it and all other clamp an they all was on and tight. So I started to drive again and noticed my turbo was not making and sound and I was not building no voost. The car is like a n/a engine now less power no boost and the turbo lines,couplers ect are on and tight. I kind of hear a low clanking noise in the turbo I think. Is my turbo bad? Car runs and starts fine just have no boost and no sound from my ct26? whats the deal?

did you check if your bov works?
mk7celica
Took it off last month no bov

Nartanian
QUOTE (mk7celica @ May 23, 2009 - 11:57 PM) *

NO BOV FOR A MONTH?!... That my friend is a HUGE problem... Seriously what were you thinking? You are VERY fortunate that your motor didn't get damage. I bet by now your turbo seals a shredded and your turbo fins are broken. The clanking noises you hear is probably for the fins hitting the turbine housing. Your turbo is done. I would remove the whole IC piping to make sure none of the chips from the fins is in there as well.
aznpnoiboi55
wow thats a big no no...you cant run it without a bov especially when your turning up the boost.....the bov is there to release all that excess air that your turbo had spooled up....when you release the acceleration it closes up the throttle and the excess air is pushed out of your bov.....thats your problem.... since you took it off....where do you think all that air went??.....yes to your turbo....and thats why your intercooler piping keeps coming off.....dude i think your turbo is done...you shouldnt have tooken off your bov....
pittfirefighter
just remove the intake side and try spinning the blades... most likely your wastegate is stuck open... that is 100x more likely to happen then a blown turbo... with 14lbs of boost... you should definitely look into getting a BOV... it puts a lot of stress on your valves otherwise
mk7celica
QUOTE (Nartanian @ May 23, 2009 - 11:22 PM) *

NO BOV FOR A MONTH?!... That my friend is a HUGE problem... Seriously what were you thinking? You are VERY fortunate that your motor didn't get damage. I bet by now your turbo seals a shredded and your turbo fins are broken. The clanking noises you hear is probably for the fins hitting the turbine housing. Your turbo is done. I would remove the whole IC piping to make sure none of the chips from the fins is in there as well.

Well The alltrac the engine came from factory with no bov and I have been running stock boost until today so I figured at stock boost I did not need a bov Am I wrong? If so why did toyotanot put a bov on a alltrac gt4 3sgte from factory?
02bluerolla
i been running 8psi normally and 12psi in the weekends fr over a year on a stock tmic and never had a problem.
pittfirefighter
you are absolutely maxing out the curve of the turbo at 14psi... its unneeded pressure on the turbo... i know mr2's have a stock recirc valve.. i thought st205's do too??
aznpnoiboi55
QUOTE (pittfirefighter @ May 24, 2009 - 2:27 AM) *
you are absolutely maxing out the curve of the turbo at 14psi... its unneeded pressure on the turbo... i know mr2's have a stock recirc valve.. i thought st205's do too??

yah i second that too..... all turbo set ups no matter if stock should have bov...a lot of the stock ones are recirculated
Cuts_the_Pilot
205's do have a stock plumb back bov

dude dont listen to these people saying your car will die without a bov it wont, like you say it didnt have a bov factory, and neither do a lot of other cars.

Over say 12 psi a bov is a good idea, below that just be happy with your flutter.

Is it a ct26 or ct20b turbo? ceramic or steel wheeled?

a steel wheeled ct26 will be fine up to 15 psi or so, any more and its too inefficient.

steel wheeled ct20b will handle 20 psi for long periods of time

ceramic ct26 i wouldnt run any more then 12 psi

ceramic ct20b i wouldnt run more then 14 psi

do you have a stock dump pipe?
lagos
QUOTE (mk7celica @ May 24, 2009 - 2:06 AM) *
QUOTE (Nartanian @ May 23, 2009 - 11:22 PM) *

Well The alltrac the engine came from factory with no bov and I have been running stock boost until today so I figured at stock boost I did not need a bov Am I wrong? If so why did toyotanot put a bov on a alltrac gt4 3sgte from factory?

the stock alltrac can get away with it because there is so little volume of actual air in that small top mount intercooler. you change all that when you convert to a fmic. there is a lot more air in those pipes that has no where to go when you let off the gas. so yes, even with stock boost, you should have a bov on a car with an upgraded intercooler.

but i do doubt thats whats causing your problem.
check all your piping again, and check to make sure your wastegate is not stuck open. then pull off the intake and downpipe if u want to inspect the turbo.
mk7celica
QUOTE (Cuts_the_Pilot @ May 24, 2009 - 7:06 AM) *
205's do have a stock plumb back bov

dude dont listen to these people saying your car will die without a bov it wont, like you say it didnt have a bov factory, and neither do a lot of other cars.

Over say 12 psi a bov is a good idea, below that just be happy with your flutter.

Is it a ct26 or ct20b turbo? ceramic or steel wheeled?

a steel wheeled ct26 will be fine up to 15 psi or so, any more and its too inefficient.

steel wheeled ct20b will handle 20 psi for long periods of time

ceramic ct26 i wouldnt run any more then 12 psi

ceramic ct20b i wouldnt run more then 14 psi

do you have a stock dump pipe?

well its a jdm 2nd gen 3sgte not sure if its ceramic
95celgt
yes its a ceramic and with FMIC u must use a bov or preferably a diverter valve.
mk7celica
just pulled the intake the blade fan on the intake side of the turbo looks fine and is not rubbing. I did find a little metal shavings in the inlet pipr to my tb so maybe the exhaust side of the turbo blade is the proble since I found metal in the pipeing? I am about to pull the down pipe but first I am going to look at the waste gate and rod going to it to see if it stuck open. Because the turbo has no shaft play and spins fine by hand. If the waste gate is open will the turbo not spool up at all?
Cuts_the_Pilot
If your gate is open you will get no spool.

Ok so if these cars with ceramic turbos and fmic need bovs why dont say reputable engines from reputable manufacturers use then in the past, like 1j, rb25, sr20, 4g63 etc. Cars with stock fmic and ceramic snails.

Im not denying they are a good thing to have (I have one) but i am saying it wont cause the death of your turbo unless your screwing heaps of boost out of it, which is going to put it under heaps of load in more conditions then just backing off.

metal shavings in the inlet cant come from the exhaust wheel, only the inlet.

Was there any noise prior to the lack of boost? Either you have a massive boost leak (unlikely), your wastegate is stuck open, or your ceramic wheel has fallen off/disintigrated, the latter is especially possible if you were winding the boost into it at the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.