Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In need of an opinion
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Digiray
Hi all!!

I joined this site a few months back (febuary lol) cos I was planning on bein a proud owner of a 1999 1.800cc Celica ST, but unfortunatly that fell thru. Work and economy here in Spain didn't allow for me to get the car. But I've stumbled on another Celica that's in my price range and might be able to get it, but need some advice first.

The model I've come accross is a 1996 2.0L 175cv Celica GT. Here's some pics:

The front would need some paint work as it's a bit chipped, but that's not my worry, specially when the asking price is 1000€ (1418$ on today's conversion rate) so it's not a bad price at all. The GT-Four spoiler is an aftermarket add-on, same as the fake air intake on the hood. My concern is the fact it has 270.000km on the clock. The owner says that at 200.000km he had the engine completly petrol cleaned, got numerous retainers and gaskets changed and had the engine head scraped and cleaned. He claims the engine to still have double it's life left but i'm not sure. Also says it will eventually need a "cardan" changed but still got a while left before it needs doing and not sure if that's an expensive part to replace or not.

All in all, it seams a good deal for a nice Celica considering it has all you'd expect from a Jap car including central locking with alarm, electric sunroof, leather interior, etc... What's your opinion guys?? Is it worth buying or would the repair / paint work out more expensive than it's worth??? Any insight on if what the owner says was done to the engine will in fact give it a long lasting life or can anyone forsee i'll end having problems with it??

Asking you guys cos you're the experts on Celica's and I'm a numpty with mechanics in general, nevermind specific Celica stuff lol

Thanks to all in advance

Digiray
jimmykay
well, I have no idea what was offered in Spain, my initial reaction is that if it has a 2.0 thats a 3s-ge engine. If the valve cover has a top thats not the usual bare metal gray, then you've got a really good engine.
270,000km is equal to 167,770 mi. and on a '96 I dont think its unheard of.
my '99 has 151,000 mi (243,000km) on it.

in general though, take a look at the suspension parts. I'm sure those are probably needing some work. as long as there's no major leaks, the engine should be good. there's nothing to specifically look for to be replaced though. just keep in mind that this car is 13 years old, so there's probably gonna be some parts that will need replaced soon.

generally though, if its well maintained, these cars are bulletproof (but not telephone pole proof as CPleasure just pointed out)
Digiray
yeah, he did mention the shoks and brakes need a once over, but that's no biggy, it's more the actual engine and expensive parts i'm worried about smile.gif
GordGT4
QUOTE (jimmykay @ Jun 5, 2009 - 9:01 AM) *
well, I have no idea what was offered in Spain, my initial reaction is that if it has a 2.0 thats a 3s-ge engine.

Is it not just an ST202 which is the non turbo ST205 version ?
Digiray

Could be LOL!!!

All I know is that in 1996 in Spain they released these models:

ST 1.8 115cv

GT 2.0 175 cv

GT-Four 2.0 Turbo 202cv

Those where the models released here from 1995 to 1999, that's according to the Spain Toyota dealership...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.