Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Idle Problems
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
nightryder
So Ive been having issues with my idle for quite some time now. For a while it was bouncing consistently between 1800rpm and 2200rpm. so I swapped throttle bodies (i couldnt get the iac out). so problem solved! its no longer bouncing, now it is stuck at 3000rpm.

So I pulled off that throttle body and because I had the new screws I forced the screws off my original tb, cleaned it and put it back together. same problem.

I dont know what to do anymore, I'm stumped, any ideas are very much welcome.
presure2
QUOTE (nightryder @ Jun 17, 2009 - 1:38 PM) *
So Ive been having issues with my idle for quite some time now. For a while it was bouncing consistently between 1800rpm and 2200rpm. so I swapped throttle bodies (i couldnt get the iac out). so problem solved! its no longer bouncing, now it is stuck at 3000rpm.

So I pulled off that throttle body and because I had the new screws I forced the screws off my original tb, cleaned it and put it back together. same problem.

sounds like the IAC is stuck open nate.
break the screws off the old TB, and clean out that valve we talked about yesterday at the garage.
nightryder
i actually thought of that, and I did it, with the same result.

Now when its "idling" if i give it a little gas, it will stick at whatever rpms I put it to, then drops.
presure2
QUOTE (nightryder @ Jun 17, 2009 - 4:50 PM) *
i actually thought of that, and I did it, with the same result.

Now when its "idling" if i give it a little gas, it will stick at whatever rpms I put it to, then drops.

have you tried the BGB tests for the IAC?
you can get them in the sticky in the general dissucsion sticky at the resource site.
nics
QUOTE (nightryder @ Jun 17, 2009 - 11:38 AM) *

IDK if you have seafoam there but you may try that if you do. I had the same prob after i got my car from the shop, but it does idle as high as yours ~1.5k rpms. I just sprayed the throttle opener with carb cleaner and it worked.
nightryder
QUOTE (nics @ Jun 17, 2009 - 7:31 PM) *
QUOTE (nightryder @ Jun 17, 2009 - 11:38 AM) *

IDK if you have seafoam there but you may try that if you do. I had the same prob after i got my car from the shop, but it does idle as high as yours ~1.5k rpms. I just sprayed the throttle opener with carb cleaner and it worked.

I wish it was that simple! i sprayed the hell out of it and still nothing, im kind of at the end of my rope here. ill check out those tests tho.
nics
Man, i know what u feel.. It pisses me off when i try to stop, push the clutch in and the idle stays there... not cool
nightryder
so ive gone through everything I can think of. Anyone have anything for me?
xrav22
QUOTE (nightryder @ Jun 28, 2009 - 11:35 AM) *
so ive gone through everything I can think of. Anyone have anything for me?

Just trying to help I had a post a ways back. My idle was fluctuating and I found out it was the airbox sensor wire. It seems to be where the wire for it meets the harness right next to airbox. I tiestrapped it firmly and my idle works perfect now. But when I would just barely move the harness or the engine would shake the engine would make a strange sucking sound and idle would jump. I still have to go into the harness but I don't want to mess since it works perfect now.

Edit what I was trying to say if you wiggle the wire where it meets the harness and the idle changes it can be the problem that I have ,if you wiggle the harness and nothing happens then your harness and wire is fine.

Check it out.
nightryder
ill take a look, are we talking about that kinda cone shaped sensor that plugs into the airbox?
presure2
yea, tahts what he's talking about nate, but from what your discribing, that dont sound like your issue.
lagos
disconnect the throttle and cruise control cables and start the car. could be a stuck cable not returning well and causing the high idle.
nightryder
i did try the throttle cable...hadnt thot of the cruise control tho. ill give that a shot. thx man
nightryder
ok so I gave the cruise control a shot...nothing...

you guys think it could just be a real bad vac leak? I have no idea where it would come from, but i keep coming back to that
presure2
nate, does the car run?
if so, gimme a call, and we'll plan a day for you to come down, and we'll trouble shoot it till we find the problem.
nightryder
it runs, but the rpms stick @ wherever they are revd to otherwise they stay at 3k+....

ill b in touch
GriffGirl
So what did the problem turn out to be? Any updates? I'm suddenly having major problems w/my motor - similar but not the same, and I'm looking for ideas.
95CelicaST
Check your distributor shaft for play. I had bad idle problems and it turned out to me the distributor.
GriffGirl
Mine seems to be more like an airflow issue... I'll start my own thread though.
bigjohn671
i had the same problem. i tapped on the valve with a small hammer while spraying it with solvent and then tapped on it while spraying it with wd40. it fixed the problem
nightryder
yeah i have been working steadily with no progress. Today I pulled apart most of the intake system and put it all back together... no luck same results.

distributor huh? I'll prob have to look into that. I may have a couple friends from the forum coming down to look through things with me so we will see...

griff, let me know how things turn out
nightryder
ok guys... think we got it....

so i had the southcoast dream team pay me a visit tonight and after exhausting EVERY single option, I think we found the solution.

a boost test on the engine lead us to a torn intake manifold gasket.... whomp whomp

will be ordering the part tomorow and installing probably tuesday.
nics
fixed?
DGolden32
Ok so im having same problem as you i believe with my 96 GT, bear with me as i know very little of enginse.

My check engine light is forever on, and my throttle sticks at about 2000 rpm until i tap the gas at which point it falls back to normal. It is reading something about the EGR, so i have replaced the EGR valve, idle air control valve, EGR tube, and a few other things and the light will NOT go off and the throttle continually sticks. had about 3 cleanings of the throttle body, lubed the cable, and other simple things but no dice.

Is yalls check engine light on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.