Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil catch can?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
terbear4god4life
worth it on my N/A car?
terbear4god4life
anybody?
Sinyk
Sure. Get all that sludge and fumes out of your recirculated air.
azian_advanced
not worth it and pretty much pointless. sure it will trap oil (hardly any on a NA daily driver) but the benefit is almost negligible. they're meant for boosted motors or high rpm race engines where pressures inside the crankcase are relatively higher than daily driven NA motors and more oil (in vapor or saturated form) escapes more frequently and in higher volume. although, they do add some *bling* factor in the enigne bay biggrin.gif
terbear4god4life
QUOTE (azian_advanced @ Jun 23, 2009 - 1:44 PM) *
not worth it and pretty much pointless. sure it will trap oil (hardly any on a NA daily driver) but the benefit is almost negligible. they're meant for boosted motors or high rpm race engines where pressures inside the crankcase are relatively higher than daily driven NA motors and more oil (in vapor or saturated form) escapes more frequently and in higher volume. although, they do add some *bling* factor in the enigne bay biggrin.gif

thanks bro
BonzaiCelica
so only really necessary on n/a cars unless you go to the track at least once a month. but lets say over the time period of 5 years or 80,000 miles would it have been worth getting one before you accumalted the 80,000 miles on your engine?

and if you were to get an oil catch can for an n/a engine it wouldnt need to be a high quality one either right. Some where around $70 for a catch can would be just fine??
azian_advanced
if you want one, you can use a soda can and that will work. i saw a local ae86 with one smile.gif. just need to find a way to mount it. but if you're looking for an actual catch can, there are some with float gauges that show you how much oil has accumulated so you won't have to unmount it to check periodically.
racer4street
I don't think its worth it on an NA car but i just put one on my 5sfte after having alot of smoke and it cleared it right up. Definately a NEED-TO-HAVE on a turbo! I think basically on an NA you can just put a breather filter on the side of your valve cover (right above distributer) and you should be good. Just vent the VC.
BonzaiCelica
i know there are some expensive catch cans that cost around $80. they are brands like greddy, obx, etc.

How about ebay oil catch cans. I know they only cost around $20 for the can plus shipping. Some people say you can just make your own. I mean if we were putting an oil catch can on a n/a engine that is driven daily and driven hard every once in a while on the weekends, i dont think spending $80 on a oil can would be necessary. right??

edit: check this out. a how to install on a toyota matrix. it also says he had to replace hoses cause the ones from ebay are cheap quality and the got melted or something like that.

http://matrixowners.com/?showtopic=64772
racer4street
The oil catch can i just installed on my car is an ebay brand. I am really impressed with it. I have the standard hose that it comes with installed and it is a little soft from the heat in the engine bay but if it craps out i've got left over hoses from my oil filter relocation kit. Any thick hose should do as long as its thick.

Im running 8-9psi and is my DD so i would say if its going on your DD it will be good especially on an NA. but like i said on an NA motor you can just install a breather tank or an air filter in the side of the valve cover to vent the VC. You dont REALLY need an OCC. That your call. Either way its a good visual upgrade...LMAO
BonzaiCelica
which one to i purchase from ebay. there are universal catch cans and then some say for 2jzgte, 3sgte, toyota engines. they are all the same right.
92-gt
Yup. all the same.

Just depends on what color you want.

I would recommend getting some new hose once you get it, the stuff they include is junk. I went and bought new hose from the local auto parts store, and mounted it up. It does work though. I installed it a few months back, and I checked it last weekend, and it had caught some stuff. Granted I have 193k miles on my car, but regardless, it was $20, and I spent another $5 on hose, but it was worth it since it keeps that crap outta my intake manifold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.