Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: random tick/click sound
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
Superaison
Well, ive had the car for a few months, its a 94 ST, 220k miles, it does have a junkyard engine in it if i'm not mistaken, so it could have 500k miles on it.

Anyway, RARELY it would tick or sputter when accelerating from a stop sign, like it would do it rarely, well as of yesterday it does it about 8% of the ride whereever i'm going. it does stop sometimes, but then it starts again. I Don't know what it is, or why its doing it. I am in progress of painting my car, so i will be pissed if my engine blows or something. I was told some things to check, but i'm curious if anyone else have had this problem and did fix it. Could all of the spray from the paint (i had clouds of this in my garage for hours) got inside of something in my engine and clogged something up? if so, what?

If requested, i'll make a video with audio of my engine doing it. Now, it is not nocking... i have heard a celica with a rod thrown and I have not thrown a rod...yet....

any help will be appreciated.

thank you.
laff09
check to make sure its not your heat shield clankin the exhaust.
xrav22
QUOTE (Superaison @ Jun 28, 2009 - 12:29 PM) *
Well, ive had the car for a few months, its a 94 ST, 220k miles, it does have a junkyard engine in it if i'm not mistaken, so it could have 500k miles on it.

Anyway, RARELY it would tick or sputter when accelerating from a stop sign, like it would do it rarely, well as of yesterday it does it about 8% of the ride whereever i'm going. it does stop sometimes, but then it starts again. I Don't know what it is, or why its doing it. I am in progress of painting my car, so i will be pissed if my engine blows or something. I was told some things to check, but i'm curious if anyone else have had this problem and did fix it. Could all of the spray from the paint (i had clouds of this in my garage for hours) got inside of something in my engine and clogged something up? if so, what?

If requested, i'll make a video with audio of my engine doing it. Now, it is not nocking... i have heard a celica with a rod thrown and I have not thrown a rod...yet....

any help will be appreciated.

thank you.

The clouds of paint will not affect a car but you should make sure you check or change the
distributor cap and rotor
Check the airbox and look for cracks and dirty air seeping in. Check vacume hoses ands replace loose ones (or snip the ends )
plug wires
spark plugs good and tight(mine just came loose once car almost died)
mine clicks a little on right turns just the axle shafts wearing a bit.
My harness has a bad wire in it and if I move the airbox sensor the car ewill change idle.
Just a few things to check to get some reliability out of her.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.