Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing vavle cover gasket!? need help
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mgnt232
(I have a 1994 celica ST 1.8L 7AFE)
i have replaced my valve cover before, but had access to alldata. i remember finding a diagram of where to put the extra sealant to ensure no oil will leak out (it was only in a few spots, i assume where the engine oil was most likely to leak from).
but i do not have the diagram any more and would like to take my valve cover off, to paint. can any one tell me where to put the sealant? thanks
xrav22
after you take off the valve cover just take the new gasket and a little handfull of gasket seal and rub it all over then put the gasket in. As long as you cover the whole gasket you should be good to go.

I am assuming you have 2.2 celica 1.8 may be the same.
Mstoochn
QUOTE (xrav22 @ Jul 4, 2009 - 12:01 AM) *
after you take off the valve cover just take the new gasket and a little handfull of gasket seal and rub it all over then put the gasket in. As long as you cover the whole gasket you should be good to go.

NO, DO NOT DO WHAT HE SAID!!! AHHHH

FIGP goes on the corners of each side of the cam housing

the picture is a GT 5s-fe, the 7a-fe has the same principal, any SHARP corner requires proper sealage

The problem with putting it everywhere is your rubber gasket will harden over time and that sealant will stick to it leaving small holes for oil to drip out of insted of lettting the gasket soak the oil to prevent that. a corner cannot properly be sealed unless the gasket is 100% to the same degree of the cam housing.
Nial
QUOTE (Mstoochn @ Jul 4, 2009 - 3:27 AM) *

Definately agree here....if everything is clean and torqued down correctly you shouldnt need to use any gasket sealant at all with a new gasket, maybe a little in the sharp corners to help things along a bit. The last thing you want is bits of sealant breaking off into the oil ways and potentially blocking one, gasket sealant should be used as sparingly as possible where ever it is being used. Personally I dont use any at all and have had no problems with oil leaks yet.
Mstoochn
QUOTE (Nial @ Jul 4, 2009 - 9:55 AM) *

Definately agree here....if everything is clean and torqued down correctly you shouldnt need to use any gasket sealant at all with a new gasket, maybe a little in the sharp corners to help things along a bit. The last thing you want is bits of sealant breaking off into the oil ways and potentially blocking one, gasket sealant should be used as sparingly as possible where ever it is being used. Personally I dont use any at all and have had no problems with oil leaks yet.

the ideal thing is a dime size blob on each corner, front and back of cam housing on the left and right side. THATS IT!

Do not splurg ur valve cover/head.
trdproven
at the half moons.
mgnt232
QUOTE (Mstoochn @ Jul 4, 2009 - 1:08 PM) *
QUOTE (Nial @ Jul 4, 2009 - 9:55 AM) *

the ideal thing is a dime size blob on each corner, front and back of cam housing on the left and right side. THATS IT!

Do not splurg ur valve cover/head.

when taking off the valve cover and gasket, do you think that the old FIGP (only been there for a couple months) will still be visible as to where it had been?

QUOTE (Mstoochn @ Jul 4, 2009 - 2:27 AM) *
QUOTE (xrav22 @ Jul 4, 2009 - 12:01 AM) *

the picture is a GT 5s-fe, the 7a-fe has the same principal, any SHARP corner requires proper sealage

The problem with putting it everywhere is your rubber gasket will harden over time and that sealant will stick to it leaving small holes for oil to drip out of insted of lettting the gasket soak the oil to prevent that. a corner cannot properly be sealed unless the gasket is 100% to the same degree of the cam housing.

when taking off the valve cover and gasket, do you think that the old FIGP (only been there for a couple months) will still be visible as to where it had been?
presure2
most of the time, yes. there will be some residue left behind when you pull the valve cover.
Malek
QUOTE (presure2 @ Jul 16, 2009 - 1:03 PM) *
most of the time, yes. there will be some residue left behind when you pull the valve cover.

When I changed mine..the previous owner didn't use figp sealer. instead he used some other non engine sealer so when i pulled it off after finding out it leaked. Chunks of the old sealer fell in. I spent about 3 hours using doctor tweasers pulling chunks of some orange greenish brown sealer.

And a side note, in the chilton and haynes manual it says to use drops of figp at the half moons AND the corners..so 8 points all together. I decided to try it..It hasn't leaked since i changed it in january or february..
presure2
i trust the toyota manual over a haynes or chiltons any day.
the BGB calls for FIPG only in the hump corners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.