Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Issues
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
solidxsnake
So my car hasn't been starting at the first turn of the key for the past week or so. It would click once at the turn of the key to "START" and nothing else. After a certain number of turns, the starter would crank the engine and it'll fire right up no problem. Yesterday, I pulled the starter out (what a hassle =_=) and popped open the solenoid and cleaned the contacts and plunger with alcohol... Put it back in and still no start on the first turn. However, I took the car out later in the night, and every time last night when I turned the key, it started right up on the first turn. Today when I left my house, it started after a few turns, but afterwards all day it started on the first turn.

When it just clicks, there is the loud click of the solenoid plunger, and then there's a hum for as long as I hold the key at "START." What is the hum I'm hearing? I really hope it's not the starter motor on its way out, as I just ordered a set of solenoid contacts. The hum sounds very similar to the hum of the windshield washer pump, but a little more muffled.

Also, every so often when the starter cranked the engine, especially today, it would crank for a second and then the cranking would slow down significantly, and then it would speed back up and the engine would fire. I'm worried that possibly something in the motor or gear reduction assembly is slipping, causing the motor to not crank the engine.

Any ideas? If worse comes to worst, I'll just pick up a remanufactured starter. I hope that maybe the contacts will just fix it, but after today when the cranking slowed down, I'm worried that possibly the motor or gear reduction assembly is on its way out.
xrav22
QUOTE (solidxsnake @ Jul 19, 2009 - 9:32 PM) *
So my car hasn't been starting at the first turn of the key for the past week or so. It would click once at the turn of the key to "START" and nothing else. After a certain number of turns, the starter would crank the engine and it'll fire right up no problem. Yesterday, I pulled the starter out (what a hassle =_=) and popped open the solenoid and cleaned the contacts and plunger with alcohol... Put it back in and still no start on the first turn. However, I took the car out later in the night, and every time last night when I turned the key, it started right up on the first turn. Today when I left my house, it started after a few turns, but afterwards all day it started on the first turn.

When it just clicks, there is the loud click of the solenoid plunger, and then there's a hum for as long as I hold the key at "START." What is the hum I'm hearing? I really hope it's not the starter motor on its way out, as I just ordered a set of solenoid contacts. The hum sounds very similar to the hum of the windshield washer pump, but a little more muffled.

Also, every so often when the starter cranked the engine, especially today, it would crank for a second and then the cranking would slow down significantly, and then it would speed back up and the engine would fire. I'm worried that possibly something in the motor or gear reduction assembly is slipping, causing the motor to not crank the engine.

Any ideas? If worse comes to worst, I'll just pick up a remanufactured starter. I hope that maybe the contacts will just fix it, but after today when the cranking slowed down, I'm worried that possibly the motor or gear reduction assembly is on its way out.

What happens when the starter starts to get old is that the armature(like a bad window regulator) gets corroded and can become odd shaped(not perfectly round) and when it lands on the corroded area it wont start on the first turn. After the driving and bumping around it gets a couple new lives. It can also get burned out a little requiring more power to turn it and thus draining a good battery prematurely.

I would pick up a new starter after checking that it is not a loose or dirty connection or a low battery(if charging light has been on lately).

The light would indicate a weak alternator and thus a low battery not strong enough to turn a good starter.

Good luck
solidxsnake
Thanks. I know the battery and alternator are good (no batt light, meters at 12.5-12.7v) and the wires are all fine. The problem lies completely in the starter (unless the engine is seizing, which I am 100% sure it isn't).

Today it started after 3-5 clicks the first two times I needed to start it, but the third start it fired right up.

What I'm mainly concerned about is what the humming noise is. I've read plenty on people who've had worn/corroded contacts inside the solenoid, and how when they replaced them it worked as new. They mention that the car clicks on the turn of the key once, but I've never heard a mention of the faint humming noise that I'm hearing as long as the key is held to "START."

Thanks again smile.gif
cardshark525
QUOTE (solidxsnake @ Jul 20, 2009 - 1:27 PM) *
Thanks. I know the battery and alternator are good (no batt light, meters at 12.5-12.7v) and the wires are all fine. The problem lies completely in the starter (unless the engine is seizing, which I am 100% sure it isn't).

Today it started after 3-5 clicks the first two times I needed to start it, but the third start it fired right up.

What I'm mainly concerned about is what the humming noise is. I've read plenty on people who've had worn/corroded contacts inside the solenoid, and how when they replaced them it worked as new. They mention that the car clicks on the turn of the key once, but I've never heard a mention of the faint humming noise that I'm hearing as long as the key is held to "START."

Thanks again smile.gif

Dug this up.... What was the final diagnosis here? My car is doing something similar and making the same noise.
nik
i have a spare starter worked great now just sitting in my garage i had as a spare if mine went out just pm me if your interested
TerryE
I'd go with the starter, relatively easy fix, Seized engine very unlikely-you would've a lack of power, overheating, smell etc., Bad battery(usually one of the cells goes bad and you don't get anywhere near enough current to crank. Wiring would be very unlikely unless it came loose.
cardshark525
I solved the problem...

After I got a new starter and it was still doing the same thing I just gave up and brought it to my mechanic because I figures it was something electrical.

Turns out the main wire going from the battery to the starter had all of its coppers going from the wire (about 15 or so), but only 2 or 3 were actually getting to the starter. I guess they corroded or something.

With that fixed it works fine now.

Thank you anyway, this did help me to isolate the problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.