Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine swapping
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
wilc4
I was at a Toyota Salvage yard puchasing new rear control arms for my 1996 Celica GT-S Vert. and the guy there was trying to sell me on a low mileage engine from a 7th gen. (I think it was a 2002) that he had on hand. Now, I don't need a new engine but I am thinking he might have let me have it for cheap enough to make it worth my while, since it has 190 HP as opposed to the 135 mine does...

He swore up and down that it would go on my car with fairly little modification. Doesn't sound right to me...anyone here done this swap or know how possible it is?
SwissFerdi
I'm pretty sure there'll be a conflict with the wiring and ECU.
DEATH
1. A 7Th Gen GT [2000-2005] uses a 1ZZ-GE Engine which only makes 140HP [5 more than your 5S-FE] and surrenders a few ft/lbs of torque. So this isn't an upgrade really at all. The GT-S model 7Th Gen uses the 2ZZ-GE engine which makes 180HP [On USDM ECU - More in other markets] so this would be an upgrade in power [Again I think it losses a bit of torque versus the 5S tho] except:
2. The 7Th Gen motors are all 1.8L motors that do not have the same mounting dimensions as the 2.0L+ S series engines like your 5S-FE. This means that this motor will not bolt up to the remainder of your drive train.
3. SwissFerdi is correct - you would need to have a wiring harness made up, swap to the 2000+ ECU as well as a whole host of sensors and other items the new engine would require to run.

Long story short - No. You can't swap to that motor
trdproven
tranny axles is another thing not determined.
95CelicaST
Basically to sum up for you - Yes it can be done, no it won't be cheap, nor easy. You'll need EVERYTHING from under the hood of the 7th gen. You'll need custom motor mounts made as well.

So no it won't work with minor modifications. The man is just trying to make money off of you.
wilc4
Thanks! That is a big help. For what it is worth the motor was GT-S - which he was telling me I had to have for it to work since mine is a GT-S. This was part of the reason why it didn't sound right to me since my cars engine is no different than a GT...it is all suspension stuff...
Smaay
how much did he want for it, im always looking for another good condition 2ZZ. i build 2ZZ engines for Lotus and Celica owners.
wilc4
$900 but I sense there was some room for negotiation.
homeboy
not worth it. i've been searching months for a motor and going to OK from KY to pick up a 96gt motor was a better idea.
K-ESD
why not just get a v6, more power, cheaper and easier to install
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.