Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A bunch of annoying things
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
enderswift
hey everyone, my car has a couple small issues that add up to be real annoying.

here goes:

my 99 5s gt with 75k is puffing blue smoke when i first start it after sitting overnight. The smoke only last for the initial start and fades to nothing moments after i pull away. I checked my oil level and its full, which is good (its been 700 miles since my last oil change). At first i wondered how anything could go so wrong on an engine with such low mileage and such great maintanance? Then i thought, no f-ing way, i am too OCD for something like this to happen on one of my engines; a toyota engine at that. So i went with my gut and pulled the sparks to see if they would be covered with oil. nope clean, whew. However, turns out the gaskets that seperate the spark plug holes from the head to the valve cover are crapping out, thus causing oil to leak into my spark plug wells. Is it possible that this oil is somehow leaking past the plugs and causing my blue smoke??? (one of the plugs was rather loose im ashamed to admit). Or am i looking at valve seals crapping out on me due to switching to synthetic oil at 62 k?

Next question:

for the time being i've cleaned everything out and decided to torque the spark plugs and valve cover to spec... except i cant find the torque values anywhere. Can someone tell me what to torque my valve cover bolts on a 5s to? what about the spark plugs? for now i have them torqued to 35ftlbs and 20ftlbs respectively. (Those are my best guess values and i followed an alternating pattern so please dont use this as an excuse to vent your pent up internet rage Ala post flame)

last question:

My clutch is squeaky. last year i solved the issue when i sprayed the release bearing with silicone spray being very, very carefull to only coat the bearing and the shaft. I know that spraying the inside of the bellhousing with lubricant is quite possibly the dumbest thing in the world, but every time i pressed the clutch i came that much closer to insanity. it had to be done. So, should i repeat what i did last year or is there a better way?
soulshadow
Are you the first owner of this car? Sounds like it was abused during the first stag of its life hence so many problems now.

The only way to stop that squeaking in your clutch is to actually replace that throwout bearing.

Blue smoke could be anything, bad piston rings, valve seals going bad.

Unless you perform tests such as a compression test and ect you will never really know what your symptoms are.
95CelicaST
Just because of how common it is, I'm going to say the puff of blue smoke is valve seals.

If it is squeaking enough to cause insanity I would probably replace the throwout bearing.

And torque specs for the valve cover - go invest in the BGB. It will have that information for you.
enderswift
I highly doubt the car was abused in the first stage of its life. car fax shows 1 owner before me and the car was as close to new as you could possibly get, it was MINT. I really couldnt believe it was a used car.

also, my clutch is giving me absolutely no trouble. It only squeaks when it gets hot outside. Which leads me to think that the squeak is coming from the little pivot that the release fork acts on. So spray or no spray?

also also. No more blue smoke after i tightened down the valvecover and spark plugs biggrin.gif (but torque specs would be much appreciated. BGB? O.o And i already checked my repair manual and the factory manual that someone posted on here the other day)

I appreciate all input!
samir0189
my clutch squeaks sometimes, I dunno what makes it squeak, only when it wants to it does it..

SOMETIMES i spray some lube in there, i dunno what it does if its bad oh well, shuts up the squeak. my act stage 2 clutch has like, ~80,000mi on it and its only recently begun squeaking, and the clutch works absolutely 200% well.

Sometimes the squeak goes away before i spray it.
presure2
IIRC the valve cover, and spark plugs both have low TQ settings.
IIRC its ~16lbs for the valve cover, and ~13lbs for the plugs.
shift94
I still am not sure what this manual is but I put a link to it in another post

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=68784

It states 17 ft/lbs for valve cover and 13 for the plugs. Any other info you may need should be in that manual.
enderswift
thanks everyone, that was all the info i needed. Ill go take some torque off of the valve cove bolts before something breaks lol. too bad i dont have a torque wrench that reads less than 17.7 ftlbs
Hanyo
just because the car has low mileage does not mean it will work perfectly.

Our celicas are getting old; even at low mileage, the seals are all going to be at least 10+ years old. Old seals are bound to crack. My 97 with 80k miles had a small oil leak at the valve cover. When i finnally decided to change it, the valve cover gasket was hard like a rock. This is coming from a car that has been driving lightly and maintain.

I believe your have a small oil leak and the valve seals. Its nothing to worry about as long as your not fouling our spark plugs.
enderswift
few updates for people that might run into the same annoyances that i did. First off i decided to coat the release bearing and shaft with silicone spray, no more squeak! and nothing went wrong smile.gif I didnt have to worry about soaking the clutch or flywheel because there is actually a decent amount of room in there, and the key is to be judicial with the lubricant. less is more in this case. Replacing the dust boot is not fun though.

Also, my car no longer shows any sign of burning oil, no more wierd puffs of smoke at startup and the oil level hasnt budged, meaning it most likely was a loose valvecover afterall.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.