Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas for next car
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
xkillerx
Hello 6GC folks,

I've been an extremly satisfied owner of a 1.8 ST for more than three years now.

Reasons for me being EXTREMLY HAPPY with it:

* goes like stink (+considering its powerplant+)
* corners like on rails
* looks smoking hot
* wonderful, almost luxurious interior craftsmanship
* practical for four, perfect for two
* minimal consumption (for a sports car)
* NEVER, EVER BREAKS DOWN
* cheap to own, drive, register and insure

However I'm considering getting something fresher, but I am not willing to sacrifice much of the above just for getting a new car.

Some of the vehicles I've tried so far and was unsatisfied with:

Nissan 350Z

+ quick
+ luxurious
+ beautiful
+ not a target for theft
- insurance nightmare
- rear wheel drive only
- luggage space tight even for two
- generally horribly inpractical

Subaru forester non turbo

+ plenty of space
+ plenty of kit
+ dependable all wheel drive
- horrible consumption
- so ****ing slow
- almost flipped it when tried tight cornering
- bland, cheap feeling interior

Subaru Impreza regular

just ****. next please.

Subaru Impreza WRX

+ so ugly that it's sooo prettyyy for me tongue.gif
+ goes like stink
+ corners like mad
+ practical for five
- horrible consumption
- horrible, cheap feeling, bland interior

5th gen Celica alltrac

+ good looking in black
+ dependable 4WD
+ nice interior
- heavy
- very slow despite its engine
- pop up headlights
- even older than my current car

Mazda 6 diesel MZR CD

+ looks sweet
+ plenty of space and kit
+ MZR has top notch interior
+ supposedly bulletproof reliability
+ very economical
- ford diesel torquey but not really quick
- it's a ****ing family car

Cars I would so much like to test but can't find here. The +/- are my IMAGINERY ASSUMPTIONS - if you had these cars please correct me

Mazda RX8

+ goes like stink
+ beautiful inside and out
+ practical
+ fantastic handling for a rear wheel drive
+ seems to be cheap abroad
- horrible consumption
- very questionable reliability
- no trained service personel

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8

+ fastest, period
+ nice interior, pretty exterior
+ LEGEND
+ practical for five
- maintanence nightmare
- expensive to get
- consumption nightmare

Toyota Supra

+ LEGEND
+ FAST
+ BEAUTIFUL
- can't import since it's not euro3
- hard to find a non modded well kept for a decent price
- even harder to find non UK or US

Toyota Celica 6th Gen GT4

+ all of the above as my car, plus even faster, and a bit prettier
- maintenance, upkeep, consumption
- can't import since it's not euro3
- hard to find non UK, US

There you go. Start your brainstorming!
OOBE
From what I read, you just don't want another car. I mean, you feel that your ST goes like stink, when they're one of the slowest cars. I say stay with it. And why you list a car that you cannot get is beyond me. Why complicate things? That's why you haven't gotten a reply. Stick to the point. I would get an Impreza WRX as another car. They're plenty fun, reliable, and look good with just a nice set of rims, lower suspension and a nice exhaust.
NGHTKD
For you get an Integra Type R or Golf GTI.

- both are good looking cars
- excellent support both current and aftermarket
- performance cars; great handling, quick
- both have interiors that are not TOO plasticky haha
- insurance may be expensive but it is on anything somewhat performance orientated
- good fuel consumption
- non-confronting ownership

Maybe decide what YOU actually want in a car.
xkillerx
QUOTE (OOBE @ Sep 21, 2009 - 11:10 AM) *
From what I read, you just don't want another car.

You read wrong.

I mean, you feel that your ST goes like stink, when they're one of the slowest cars.

I tried to say that it goes like stink CONSIDERING IT HAS A TINY 1.8 FROM A CARINA.

Because I've tried the alltrac and I did not feel it goes fast at all. Neither the mazda. Both have much more poweful engines.

The 350Z is fast, the WRX is **** fast. I can imagine the Supra makes people **** their pants. Fantastic.

I say stay with it. And why you list a car that you cannot get is beyond me. Why complicate things?

Because I am obviously interested in what other people have to say about them, duhh.

I'd prefer not daydreaming about the Supra or the GT4 if in reality they have some serious drawbacks.

That's why you haven't gotten a reply. Stick to the point. I would get an Impreza WRX as another car. They're plenty fun, reliable, and look good with just a nice set of rims, lower suspension and a nice exhaust.

The impreza looks great outside by default, like I stated I hate how it looks on the INSIDE. And that can't be fixed with a nice set of rims or blahblahblah

QUOTE (NGHTKD @ Sep 21, 2009 - 11:32 AM) *
For you get an Integra Type R or Golf GTI.

The golf is a no go since they are targets of GTA very very often here; the Integra is good idea I have not considered it given that the Type Rs have a rep for being useless around town. There are weeks when I spend half a day stuck in downtown traffic. Nice noise isolation and a solid, comfortable interior go a long way then. How would you rate the R on the daily driver side?

Maybe decide what YOU actually want in a car.

Ehrm, nice looks, bulletproof reliability, great interior, superb craftsmanship and build quality, goes like stink (FOR ITS ENGINE) and corners like on rails (WHATEVER ENGINE IT HAS).

Not to be dangerous on a slippery road, not to be a general target for theft and at least Euro3 emissions so that I can import it.

I read now that I did not mention the Celica 7th gen. I was never really interested in it, but if anybody owns one a nice comparison between the 6th and 7th gen would be great. Thank you.
keison2000
I would say that if you love you st so much just do different things to it now. Do an engine swap, change the color, add some wheels and add a few interior goodies. You just want something newer I think, but newer doesn't always mean better...... If you like it, stick with it...
OOBE
I don't own a 7th gen but I drive a GT-S regularly. Compared to the 6th gen, it obviously feels lighter (because it is), is way faster (even the GT), and handles better. I love the interior even if the material is not very nice and build wise, it's not as sturdy as the 6th gen. Tends to make a lot of noise. This has happened to all the 7th gens I've driven. Just too many rattles and squeaks compared to the much older 6th gen which in my opinion, has a more solid interior even if it's not as nice. A thing I LOVE about the 7th gen interior is that it has an airplane cockpit look and feel to it. You sit very low and leaned back. It's awesome. Engine wise, the GTs are very reliable and so is the GT-S I drive, but some friends of mine with early GT-Ss have had some problems with their 2ZZ. Not sure exactly what went wrong. Exterior wise, to me the design still looks current for 9 years. Park one next to a 2009 car and it won't look out of place.
richee3
QUOTE (keison2000 @ Sep 21, 2009 - 12:01 PM) *
I would say that if you love you st so much just do different things to it now. Do an engine swap, change the color, add some wheels and add a few interior goodies. You just want something newer I think, but newer doesn't always mean better...... If you like it, stick with it...

My thoughts exactly.
xkillerx
Don't fix what ain't broken. The ST has already gotten fresh rims, and engine swap is not an option here due to impossible paperwork nightmares, so here are some more ideas for you my dear fellow gearheads:

Lexus IS200
Opel (vauxhall) GT/Speedster
Mazda MX5
Mazda 6 MPS/mazdasport

The options of 7th Gen T-Sport/GTS and Integura Typa L tongue.gif are getting more and more interesting for me. Too bad they are a ****ing rarity in europe (except in the UK of course, damn you and your left side driving)

The option of an Evolution 8 is very appealing as well. If I could find one :S
SwissFerdi
If you don't mind the loss of rear seats and the overall size, I would recommend the MX-5. Most fun car in that list, period.

808celica
Acura TL
Lexus GS430
IS350/250
BMW M3
Honda S2K
azian_advanced
nice looks, bulletproof reliability, great interior, superb craftsmanship and build quality, goes like stink (FOR ITS ENGINE) and corners like on rails (WHATEVER ENGINE IT HAS).

some cars to consider:

90-99 MR2 Turbo (mid-engine, nice interior, fast, Toyota reliability, good craftsmanship, but has flip up lights)
6th gen Celica GT (as good as your ST but faster smile.gif )
GC8 Impreza WRX (nice interior/exterior imo, comfortable to drive, good handling)
95+ 240SX/Silvia (nice interior, fast, low, handles great, but a bit uncomfortable)

Promasta
if I were you I would not get another FWD car. RWD or AWD would be very fun, and a nice change.
My first choice is MR2 turbo, but i'm not sure if you mind having a 2 seater.
I like Impreza 2.5rs, because they are only 2 door. Interior is boring, but not crappy.
MX5 is definitely fun, but I could not handle the gay jokes.
I know nothing about opel speedster but it looks awesome.
s2000 can look amazing with hardtop, wheels, and kit. absolutely no bottom end, but still very fun when sliding around while revving at 8000rpm.
razor7
Having never driven any of these cars, I'd vote for the following:

WRX - AWD would be amazing, fun to rally, fairly reliable, can upgrade, however interior is pretty "eh" (as stated)
S2000 - 2 seater (+ or -), goes like stink, easy to work on, reliable, sexy with the hardtop on, pretty decent mileage (if I recall correctly...)
S14/Silvia - For all of the above reasons
AW20 (90-99MR2) - Great car, reliable, easy to upgrade, lots of upgrades, fairly decent mileage, however I've heard that the back end breaks loose VERY easily, so fun through turns could end up pretty poorly....
IS250 - Reliable, easy to maintain, fairly cheap to run, very comfy, seats 5

I think really what we need to start with is a rough estimate on prices. If you want a cheap Japanese tuner, then we can find you one. If you want something that's a step up, comes stock as partially tuned, and is generally quicker/comfier/more luxurious, then we can find you one of them as well. Normally I'd say keep the Celica, but in all honesty I'd kill for an AWD car, and if you like mountain roads anything like I do, I think you'd get a kick out of one.

-TC
SwissFerdi
Like razor mentioned, it's also important whether you want style, luxury, comfort, efficiency, etc.
joehernandez
i prefer a mix of luxury and sporty,,,
like the 6gc wink.gif
but i will highly consider:

IS200
Golf GTI
WRX

or the Tesla Roadster biggrin.gif
xkillerx
Folks,

I've test driven a Mazdaspeed6!!! (or Mazda6 MPS as it's known in Europe).

It's very rary and unique, lightning fast, corners like on rails, HAS four wheel drive, luxurious inside, sporty yet discrete exterior, it's quiet, subtle, refined, comfortable and reliable.

But wait I think I hear the nitpick train coming!

* Bose "premium" sound system has an obsolete CD changer, but lacks MP3 support, and also lacks bass at the low end.
* Sedan (limousine) body not as practical as liftback/hatchback/caravan
* Expensive (20k euro for a 2nd hand).

But that's really just nitpicking! It's a glorious car and in the meantime, since I spent my money elsewhere, I am looking forward to working like a maniac and saving up every euro to get it anytime soon whenever the moment arrives!

I whole heartedly recommend everybody who is looking for a half way compromise between the beauty of the RX-8 and the security of a Subaru to try it out. It's in a class of its own.
soulshadow
Get an ESUVEEEE, seriously all your fancy cars suck up gas like demons anyway and that's on Premium gas only. Might as well get a a 4wd at least its spacious inside out. As far as Mazda goes its an ok car just that the Rotaries don't last much longer than 100K miles before there Apex Seals go down the toilet.
SwissFerdi
Only the RX-8 uses a rotary, soulshadow. My mom has an MX-5, and that thing is pretty fun. So I imagine a MS6 can't be much different. Go for it. smile.gif
manphibian
Audi TT tongue.gif
razor7
QUOTE (manphibian @ Nov 23, 2009 - 1:27 PM) *
Audi TT tongue.gif

/biased...

-TC
Supersprynt
QUOTE (xkillerx @ Nov 23, 2009 - 11:03 AM) *
Folks,
I've test driven a Mazdaspeed6!!! (or Mazda6 MPS as it's known in Europe).
It's very rary and unique, lightning fast, corners like on rails, HAS four wheel drive, luxurious inside, sporty yet discrete exterior, it's quiet, subtle, refined, comfortable and reliable.
But wait I think I hear the nitpick train coming!
* Bose "premium" sound system has an obsolete CD changer, but lacks MP3 support, and also lacks bass at the low end.
* Sedan (limousine) body not as practical as liftback/hatchback/caravan
* Expensive (20k euro for a 2nd hand).
But that's really just nitpicking! It's a glorious car and in the meantime, since I spent my money elsewhere, I am looking forward to working like a maniac and saving up every euro to get it anytime soon whenever the moment arrives!
I whole heartedly recommend everybody who is looking for a half way compromise between the beauty of the RX-8 and the security of a Subaru to try it out. It's in a class of its own.

I just picked one of these up. I have only had it 2 weeks. I chose it because I wanted something that I could use year around, was decently quick, looked good, wasn't terrible on insurance, and got OK gas mileage.

The CD changer is a bit obsolete, but there is an MP3 cd-changer available. None of this deterred me because I knew I was putting an iPod integration kit in. To be honest I'm quite happy with the sound output, but this is subjective.

I don't really understand the practicality issue. The liftback really doesn't have any more room. The trunk (boot) is quite large, and I have more space than I know what to do with.

The gas mileage will obviously vary. I do more city driving than highway, and I'm getting about 21mpg, and the car requires premium gas.

The price you quote boggles my mind. That's about $29,000. That was the price for that car NEW here in the states. I bought mine for ~10k Euro.

xkillerx
Isn't she a beauty? wink.gif

As far as pricing goes, welcome to my world!!!

Europe is extremely weird regarding car pricing. Some countries get 1st and 2nd hard cars dirt cheap - mainly because the economy is based on people driving tons of (preferably new) cars - like UK and Germany. Then other have insane taxes and laws regarding cars. Like Finland.

and Serbia :: facepalm ::

Either way except in the UK where Top Gear raised its popularity the MPSs are terribly expensive.

But also consider this: you can probably get a new Evo X with premium kit for under 40k US$. For me it would be sub 60k EURO.

And it's the same car, made in the same factory and shipped the same way from Japan to everywhere else in the world.

Good thing I bought a nice bicycle this spring, I reckon it will come in handy when the above mentioned math equations artificially jack up the gas prices to 2+ euros / litre in the next couple of years.
kormysh8
what about a 04- 05 jetta?
-decently fast
-turbo diesel
-corners pretty good
-probably lost of aftermarket parts
-interior is so nice (imo)
-VW reliability
-slap some deec rims on that thing and it looks sharp!
GriffGirl
QUOTE (kormysh8 @ Nov 25, 2009 - 11:30 AM) *
-decently fast
-turbo diesel
-corners pretty good
-VW reliability

I realize I'm speaking from the perspective of an '01 Jetta (the other car in my household) but as I speak from that perspective, the Jetta is currently, at this VERY MOMENT receiving a replacement transmission at 150k miles.

It's a lovely car, looks great, and yes, is very well appointed in terms of creature comforts on the interior. But a reasonably well cared-for car should not have a dead tranny at 150k miles. Jettas are NOTORIOUSLY sensitive little cars, it takes almost nothing to throw a CEL. "Low" coolant will throw a CEL.

Granted, it is not a TDI - it's a 2.0, which throws out the "decent gas mileage" entirely (NO 4 cyl car should get 20 streets mpg unless it's seeing boost), nor is it "decently fast". It's got okay top-end power, but low end? I'd take my 7A-FE over the Jetta 2.0 ANY DAY. And IDK about it "cornering pretty good". It's just average IMO. No excessive body roll, but it's not exactly on rails, either. I'd hazard to say my Celica with stock suspension cornered better than the Jetta with stock suspension does.
kormysh8
acctually yea, i guess the trans thing is right, my friend just got theres replaced not to long ago either, totally slipped my mind lol.
SwissFerdi
QUOTE (kormysh8 @ Nov 25, 2009 - 2:30 PM) *
-decently fast
-turbo diesel
-corners pretty good
-VW reliability

If anything, get an older GLI. My dad had an '04. The interior was great and it the car itself looked great, Black Magic Pearl on 18" BBS wheels. Beautiful. And the 1.8T is a great engine.
xkillerx

Hey folks, I still haven't got a new car! smile.gif (doh!)

Today I've driven by a new Mitsubishi dealership and stopped to check out the new Lancer Ralliart.

It's purrrrfect! ! !

If the new Evo X is a firebreathing golden dragon, then the baby Evo is a firebreathing golden lion.

It's a mix of the old IX and the new X, so it still has a 2.0 turbo, 4wd with active differentials front, back and middle; RF's fantastic navi-puter-music-phone system;

YET: the seats are foldable and the trunk is usable!

GO GO EVO GO!!!

(and the price is "realistic" even for serbia terms, at 32k euros - comparingly, the pure Evo X is 50+ )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.