Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: should i swap a 3sfe an turbo
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
deathdoakill
hey guys my freind came to me today with an 87 celica 3sfe engine needs head gaskets and some tlc i was gonna save up to buy... no i am gonna save up an buy a gt4 front clip but for now i figured i could possibly rebuild an boost this engine for the time being i know there a threads that show the hp gains on all the 2nd 3rd 4th an so on engines but could not find it i was wondering wut evryone here thought about this what are the differences in power is it worth it the car is being given to me so i can help my friend build his up an help him with labor an soo free 3sfe engine an tranie but problem its an automatic not standard my st celica that im doing the supra conversion on is also automatic im planning on doing a conversion to standard anyways should i wait for 3sgte swap or should just use this one hhhmmmmmmmmm laugh.gif
Joe_1985
eh id just sell it
Euphoria
3sge need alot of work to be built up to a 3sgte, its not as simple as putting a turbo on it.

as for the transmission, it simply wont hold the power especially one that old.

Buy a 2nd or 3rd gen 3sgte and look around for a SW20 gearbox wink.gif otherwise sell it.
6strngs
just buy an 88-89 alltrac. Then you've got a 3sgte, and AWD. and they don't cost that much.
Mstoochn
QUOTE (6strngs @ Sep 22, 2009 - 10:46 AM) *
just buy an 88-89 alltrac. Then you've got a 3sgte, and AWD. and they don't cost that much.

hes got a 3s-fe NOT ge.

also, a gen1 3s-gte doesn't make much power compared to a gen3 or even 2, a gen2 will cost u about 1200, gen3 around 2000 and your making over 60 hp more!
6strngs
QUOTE (Mstoochn @ Sep 22, 2009 - 9:14 AM) *

hes got a 3s-fe NOT ge.

also, a gen1 3s-gte doesn't make much power compared to a gen3 or even 2, a gen2 will cost u about 1200, gen3 around 2000 and your making over 60 hp more!

it only makes 10 hp less than a gen 2. besides, you can swap in a gen 3 engine later if that's what you prefer and it'll be an easier swap, and you'll still have AWD to handle all the power...
Mstoochn
QUOTE (6strngs @ Sep 22, 2009 - 3:04 PM) *

hes got a 3s-fe NOT ge.

it only makes 10 hp less than a gen 2. besides, you can swap in a gen 3 engine later if that's what you prefer and it'll be an easier swap, and you'll still have AWD to handle all the power...

the parts/custom fab/labour involved in converting to an ST205 drive train isn't as easy as it may seem, and most likely cost u more than the engine itself...
i would advise you to just get a gen3 to start with... your not going to want to do this twice... who the hell would?

gen3 265hp
gen2 225
gen1 215
6strngs
QUOTE (Mstoochn @ Sep 22, 2009 - 3:38 PM) *
QUOTE (6strngs @ Sep 22, 2009 - 3:04 PM) *

hes got a 3s-fe NOT ge.

the parts/custom fab/labour involved in converting to an ST205 drive train isn't as easy as it may seem, and most likely cost u more than the engine itself...
i would advise you to just get a gen3 to start with... your not going to want to do this twice... who the hell would?

gen3 265hp
gen2 225
gen1 215

if you've already got an ST165, converting to an ST205 drive train is pretty much bolt up. But you don't really need to. I'm just talking about swapping the engine into the alltrac.

I see it being completely pointless to dump a gen 3 3sgte or a 3sfe turbo into an 87 st celica... you'll be putting $3K+ into a car worth $1500... when you could just buy an alltrac for around $2500-3500, already have a 3sgte, already have AWD, and have a car with potential to go further and make even more horsepower knowing that you won't just be spinning the tires everytime you push the gas down.

But to answer the original poster's question (to the best I could understand it...) no, I don't think you should turbo the 3sfe while you save up for the 3sgte because the turbo kit will end up costing near the same as the 3sgte clip and won't produce as much power or be as reliable.
deathdoakill
yeppers its decided no 3sfe waiting for gt4
clip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.