Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Failed my inspection. DOes anybody have spare lowbeams?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
schmooot
So I had to get an out of province inspection seeing as I got my car from Alberta. I figured since it passed the import inspection just a few months ago and nothing has changed it would be a cakewalk. Well I failed because my low beam lenses don't have DOT stamped into them. High beams and every other light cover has it except those ones. Can anybody else take a quick look at your own and tell me whether yours are stamped or not?
Preferrably GT4's but any other models US or Canadian I am curious about as well
yarik83
I am not an expert on Canadian laws but here in US we have certified mechanics that happily slap sticker on your car for a low fee of 150 dollars... legal or not. I used to take my celi to such mechanics 2001-2007. Here in Florida though there is no inspection so I am saving that much money every other year he he he.
schmooot
I just have to pass the inspection once in order to register the vehicle in my province. Everything else passed and I paid for the inspection all I have to do is show them lights with the proper stamp and they will give me my papers

johnnehh
My friend has an old ST that doesn't run anymore. If he has the high beams, you can just pay for me to ship them over to you and you don't even have to worry about shipping them back. I use his car as a parts car/guide haha.

I'll go over there in a few hours when he gets home from work.
schmooot
that would be great. Low beams though right?
johnnehh
QUOTE (schmooot @ Oct 7, 2009 - 12:48 PM) *
that would be great. Low beams though right?

Oh, hah. Yeah. Low beams. Sorry. Been a long morning. laugh.gif
ChrisD
Well...there is a reason that those aren't legal in Canada...but yes, you need to switch to the NADM DOT approved lights. Also, do you have daytime running lights set up?

They are a pain to install because you have to remove the bumper unfortunately.
schmooot
Not sure about drl.......can't say I've driven the car for more than 10 minutes. You'd think the import inspection would have caught the lights when it came into the country though...unless it was a shady place. Or does Calgary have different laws?
Galcobar
The import company is concerned with getting the vehicle into the country, not registering it. For all they know, you want to put it in a garage and stare at it, or put it on a private track.
schmooot
QUOTE (johnnehh @ Oct 7, 2009 - 12:35 PM) *
My friend has an old ST that doesn't run anymore. If he has the high beams, you can just pay for me to ship them over to you and you don't even have to worry about shipping them back. I use his car as a parts car/guide haha.

I'll go over there in a few hours when he gets home from work.

Awesome man I can't wait to hear back, shoot me a pm
black13
QUOTE (schmooot @ Oct 7, 2009 - 2:03 PM) *
Not sure about drl.......can't say I've driven the car for more than 10 minutes. You'd think the import inspection would have caught the lights when it came into the country though...unless it was a shady place. Or does Calgary have different laws?

The import law is that they allow the 15 year old car in the country and from then they give you 90 days to do the modifications necessary to make it road legal and register it. That's how they all are. They aren't ready to drive off the boat. And without OOP you are technically stuck driving it only with a temp plate and temp insurance.

And for DOT's,
Yea it was the same situation with mine. High beams had them, low beams didn't.

But on the Alberta OOP sheet, it doesn't specify DOT approved is necessary so when I took it to a small shop, the guy passed it. But before that when I called Canadian Tire, the guy there said it is required. Seems like some people don't know that it needs to be DOT approved for it to pass so it depends on how lucky you get with the guy who does them. From what I've heard, BC regulations are alot more strict so the inspection people could care more.

I would agree with getting LHD ones as they are aimed to the right and not to the left so you don't blind the on coming drivers but for my situation, I was gonna get Projectors a bit down the line anyway and those don't even come in DOT approved so I would have to adjust those myself.
schmooot
thanks for the info. If I don't hear back from johnnehh today imma have to buy some from someone else I guess
schmooot
ok this is now turned into a wtb thread seeing as I definitely need to buy some ASAP. Can a mod move it for me?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.