Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short Block
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
6G96GT
So, if I am interested in purchasing a fully rebuilt short block (5sfe), and it came with a 6 month full warranty, that would be a good bet on the build of the engine right? What I mean is, if there was going to be a problem with the short block after installation, it would probably happen pretty soon after having it installed...right?

The block sells for 450 dollars after a core charge refund of 200. It costs 125 shipped to a local shop so a total of 575 after core refund. Good or not?
richee3
Quick bump. Same question.
mkernz22
Before you buy it, do you know exactly what parts they rebuilt it with? You should ask them and then look up what they used to see if it's decent stuff. If it's cheap crappy sh!t, then I wouldn't get it.
Smaay
yes find out if its rebuilt with OEM parts. the price is good. and if you encounter problems, they will show up right away.
Keiri
Question: where are you guys finding these short blocks at? I'd rather buy a new short block to put my car's head on then rebuild the current one if it comes down to it.
richee3
Ebay. The blocks up to '97 are $500 plus a $200 refundable core fee plus shipping, and the '98+ block is $550, $200 core fee, and shipping. You get your core fee back when you send your old block back to them, assuming your block is rebuildable. Not cracked or anything. I've been looking into the company for a little bit to find out if they use good parts or not. I know the rings they use are Hastings, and that they make their own gaskets. But buying a short block, gaskets are of no concern to me. I've emailed them but I assume since tomorrow is Sunday and Monday is a holiday, it will be Tuesday before I hear from them.

Up to '97 block

'98+ block
richee3
Pistons and rings are NPR. In the very little bit of research I've done about them, they seem to be similar to OE replacement. The most I would pay for a short block is $835, if I don't send my old block back to them. Not that it matters because I've decided to go a different route, but just so you guys know, that seems to be a viable route if you aren't wanting to rebuild yourself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.