Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time poster... With a question about a first Celica
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
Speedy-Sloth
Hey guys!

I've been lurking about on here for months now, trying to learn as much as I can about 6th Gen's. Ive always thought they were beautiful but until really reading into it I had no idea quite how cool a car the 6th gen's have the potential to be!

I've always liked toyotas ever since my dad brought home a 4th gen when I was a kid, but unfortunately for years now I've been living in essentially pedestrian only zones so a car and for that matter a driving permit seemed... Pointless... Having recently relocated to the Isle of Man, I can finally get my arse in gear... It's almost embarrasing to think at 25 i'm still not driving :S.

I'm looking to learn in the best way possible, and why not do it in the car I've wanted for years... Better than a 1.1 fiesta popular tongue.gif

Luckily for me living on the Island, I have the benefit that most of the cars here are Very low mileage. Sub 50k '95-'99 ST's are everywhere but they all cost near enough to £2750...  GTs tend to be the same price but they are few and far between. 

Suppose you get what you pay for... Anywho... What I really want to know from some of you is this, it's near enough the same price for me to get an ST or a GT, both cars would set me back about £2200 post haggling and near enough £700 to insure. Is the difference between the 2 engines noticeable enough to warrant the extra searching?

If so have you any advice on what to look for as well I'd be grateful, I really wouldn't want to finally get my dream car only to find it has a shagged engine because I don't know what to look for!

Cheers in advance guys,

Speedy-Sloth
yarik83
I assume you live in Scotland or Ireland. I forgot where Isle of Man was.. there was a WRC rally there not too long ago along with TT bike races.

You will thank me for this later but here it goes.
Priority wise you want to seek
Manual over Auto not only for gas savings but for a major boost to self confidence.
GT-4 Celica->GT->ST.

Having a beautiful car is often not enough. Having a beautiful a car that can also make you check your pulse rate will give you a lifetime worth of memories.
SwissFerdi
I second that notion...you have the opportunity to buy a car that most of this site drools over. I would save up in your case, if necessary.
Speedy-Sloth
GT it is then, I may look to upgrade to a GT4 after a year or so, but while the extra 1k I'd need for the car and insurance is feasable, the power in one of those... I'd end up killing myself!... Especially while I'm on L plates!

As far as the island goes it's half way between Liverpool and Northern Ireland. We're crown dependent but not part of the UK or Ireland. Great for the lack of a speed limit outside of built up areas and no MOT to worry about... They just trust that you won't be a pillock and drive something that's unsafe... Works quite well smile.gif

oh and just so you know I have been paying attention, I knew about the order of preferance... I'm just unsure how noticeable the differences are between each stage smile.gif
yarik83
I dont think you understood him mate. In a year or so you may not have any gt-4 to buy. Canada is importing them like crazy. It is likely that once they run out of celicas in japan they will switch to other countries that might have them. But its your choice. Main issue is that unless you do not plan to do ANYTHING to the GT that you are planning to buy... you may end up in a bit of a pickle.. too attached to sell it and regretful that it's not as fast as it could have been. Trust me if this was in usa.. people would give their left.... to own a gt-4.. but alas we dont have that option.
richee3
Definitely get the GT. I've had an ST and a GT, and the GT, even though it's only like 20 hp more, had loads more power at any speed. Plus as far as modifying the car, there's more you can do with a GT than an ST. Well, more power with less work. You can more easily swap a 3S into it than an ST, or if you decide to boost the motor it already has, the GT motor takes to boost well. That's not to say that the ST motor doesn't, but you'd be better off in a GT, no questions asked.
SwissFerdi
^ Valid point, but I would call this guy an IDIOT if he swapped in a 3S-GTE in an area where GT-4's are readily available. Just saying.
CastrolCelica
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 22, 2009 - 11:29 PM) *
^ Valid point, but I would call this guy an IDIOT if he swapped in a 3S-GTE in an area where GT-4's are readily available. Just saying.

I agree, but I think his point was simply that the GT is more versatile. If he can't afford a GT-4, he can't afford a GT-4. However, if it's between an ST and a GT for him, the GT better in all the aspects he named beyond a shadow of a doubt.

To agree with you though, I think if the guy ever had enough dough for an engine swap, he'd just get a GT-4 and call it a day. Or maybe this guy will win the lottery and ship us all GT-4s for our birthday gifts.........

Hey I can dream. tongue.gif
delusionz
I'm glad I experienced lower model Celicas before having a GT4. Definitely get to appreciate all the models for what they are.

Hated SS-I but loved the sunroof.

Loved SS-III but wanted a sunroof.

Love GT4 and don't care about sunroof.

biggrin.gif
CastrolCelica
Or you could just get a ST Celica, put this on the end of it and pretend that you have a bett... no I couldn't even finish that, sorry laugh.gif :

Speedy-Sloth
There really seems to be some passion for this topic! I really appreciate the help guys... I'll just wait a few more months for the gt4 rather than run the risk of never finding one... I didn't know they were becoming such a rarity!

I suppose it'd be better to get the right car and drive carefully than the wrong car from the get go.

Cheers!
johnnehh
QUOTE (Speedy-Sloth @ Oct 23, 2009 - 1:35 AM) *
There really seems to be some passion for this topic! I really appreciate the help guys... I'll just wait a few more months for the gt4 rather than run the risk of never finding one... I didn't know they were becoming such a rarity!

I suppose it'd be better to get the right car and drive carefully than the wrong car from the get go.

Cheers!

Now THAT'S thinkin' with yer dipstick!
jimmykay
personally, I have no clue how rare the GT-4's are overseas, and have no clue how rare they are becoming.
Also, this is going to be your first car. I have a hard time telling you to get a GT-4 because the gt-4 vs gt is a huge power increase, almost double, and its up to you if you can handle the extra power. gt has slightly more power than the st, but comes with disc brakes in rear instead of drums.

I would just hate for you to get a gt-4 and wrap it around a tree or a light pole. (oh god, i must be getting old at 28)
I would personally, get a gt (which sounds like its a more feasible option right now) and grow into it with your driving, then when you're ready for something different, sell it and pick up a gt-4 if you're still interested.

I would look for the usual car things with your shopping. celicas are notorious for rusting at the bottom of the doors.
Also, the valve seals are known to go bad. Look for a white puff of smoke from a cold start.
a lot of age related things should start showing wear. I mean, at best you'll find a '99 which is still 10 years old.

Just trying to help.
Wintersun
GT4 all the way I say smile.gif

Although I did start with an ST and then SR then went all out and bought a JDM GT4 smile.gif

Im not sure how rare GT4's are outside of the UK, but we seem to have quite a few here. The UK GT4 was released in the UK between 1996 - 1998. So in fact the UK GT4 is fairly rare to find, but a JDM GT4 is easy to get hold of.

If your from the Isle of Man, have you not ventured over to www.celica-club.co.uk and www.gt4oc.net
richee3
QUOTE (Speedy-Sloth @ Oct 23, 2009 - 1:35 AM) *

Cheers!

Attaboy.
CastrolCelica
QUOTE (Speedy-Sloth @ Oct 23, 2009 - 2:35 AM) *

Cheers!

Smart man! Be sure to send us pictures so we can drool over it smile.gif

Now, if you want to be stupid.. once you get your GT-Four, ship it to the following address I'll be PMing to you in about 2.5 seconds. Don't worry, I'll give you my GT in trade! It's better than a GT-Four because it doesn't have that pesky "Four" after it laugh.gif
SwissFerdi
Great choice Speedy!

But like Castrol said, a GT is obviously lighter than a GT-FOUR, BUT, my ST is even lighter. Lightness is key.

I'm very much willing to trade cars.
CastrolCelica
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 23, 2009 - 7:06 PM) *
Great choice Speedy!

But like Castrol said, a GT is obviously lighter than a GT-FOUR, BUT, my ST is even lighter. Lightness is key.

I'm very much willing to trade cars.

Exactly. All that pesky turbo crud filling up your engine bay. Trust me, this is TOTALLY worth your time! :cough: wink.gif
SwissFerdi
Yes. AND, a GT-4 will most likely come with factory wheels, which are really old. I have rims from a 2007 Scion tC. MAD NEW!
CastrolCelica
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 23, 2009 - 9:17 PM) *
Yes. AND, a GT-4 will most likely come with factory wheels, which are really old. I have rims from a 2007 Scion tC. MAD NEW!

Ok, SwissFerdi, if this works, we'll trade off every other month. You get it January, I get it February, ect. wink.gif
SwissFerdi
^ Works for me. Just don't mind if your 2-post and riser blocks mysteriously transfer themselves onto my car...3-post should be lighter, y'know. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.