Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wrx/sti top mount intercooler
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Forced Induction
freddy121389
If i were to buy a top mount intercooler that is usually ment for the sti/wrx, do you think it would fit in the engine bay of a 5sfe? I'm trying to get a list of what I would need for parts for my car once I do turbo and a top mount just sounds like a unique way to cool down the air before the throttle body. I'm only looking to turbo the car to 8psi and considering since it's an automatic transmission I'll be adding a transmission cooler on the car and won't have too much room for a front mount. Also I would be custom making a hood scoop that would fit over the intercooler as well. It won't be for a while but I have had this dream for a really long time. I just want your opinions. Pro's and Con's of this. I figure since the burien turbo kit that was made didn't even run an intercooler why not throw on a top mount in.
Culpable04
you can make it fit, but not on top of the engine, and an air to air top mount intercooler IS NOT the way to go. get a front mount, they are so cheap nowadays, you have no excuse.
95CelicaST
I suppose it could fit, but there are mounts on the side of the WRX top mount that bolt to brackets that are bolted to the engine for support. You would have a hard time fabricating something like that. Then, of course you would need to fabricate a custom Y pipe, because your turbo won't sit up against the passenger side firewall like a subaru. Then you would need to make some crazy adapter to fit it to the throttle body, because that REALLY won't line up.

So yes, it could be done, but would be a waste of time and money. Most subaru guys replace it with a front mount because it is very prone to heat soak.
freddy121389
what about a 3sgte air to water intercooler?
Culpable04
QUOTE (freddy121389 @ Nov 2, 2009 - 1:21 PM) *

you'll have the same fitment issue, but top mount water to air is a lot more efficient than top mount air to air.

I say you should still go with a front mount air to air because of

Price
simplicity
efficiency

if you just don't want the intercooler to be seen, paint it black, people will think is a radiator
freddy121389
i just don't know how much room I'll have with the transmission cooler up there
lagos
QUOTE (freddy121389 @ Nov 2, 2009 - 2:51 PM) *
i just don't know how much room I'll have with the transmission cooler up there

Tons.
domyz
QUOTE (Culpable04 @ Nov 2, 2009 - 3:22 PM) *
QUOTE (freddy121389 @ Nov 2, 2009 - 1:21 PM) *

if you just don't want the intercooler to be seen, paint it black, people will think is a radiator

You should NEVER paint an intercooler core, because of heat exchange efficiency

If you don't want the look, go with W2A (stock one, from frozenboost or somewhere else)
Culpable04
Please foward that to all car manufacturers.

Radiators are painted black ( stock ones )

as long as you use the right paint you can paint an intercooler ( radiator ) lime green if you wish. but black is the MOST efficient color for heat disipacion
freddy121389
I think I'm just going to go with a front mount, I found this one for cheap on ebay, people on the internet say it's pretty good http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mishimoto-F...sQ5fAccessories

for 8psi it should do well
boosted95
im a fan of this style ic, its what im running on my supra makin 315wheel and will defiantly hold more than my power goal of 400+

or you could run a stock supra ic it supports the stock setup of 220wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.