Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: driving in snow?
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > General Discussion
bdog_v
hi guys today was the first day I 've driven my 94 celica gt in snow. (I've driven many other vehicles in snow before this) I was only in about 3" of snow and could barely get out of the driveway. Granted it is an icy snowfall very slick, and my tires are less than half tread, but for a front wheel drive car i was fairly upset.....It does get much better traction in reverse than forward just as a side note. so I am wondering how does your front wheel drive celica do in say 3" of snow or more, not on plowed roads but fresh snow????

Thanks
mgnt232
Do you have rims and low pros? I know the first snowfall i had in NY my rims were still on and i dont think that the low pros were really meant for snow and it was a terrible ride lol. But with the stock tires and 90% tread my car is great on the roads, if you drive with caution.
I can take sharp turns into my driveway that isnt plowed (which i do) and spin all over the place biggrin.gif. i'd say that overall the celica is a great snow car, if you dont drive like an idiot X)

QUOTE (bdog_v @ Dec 24, 2009 - 4:45 PM) *
hi guys today was the first day I 've driven my 94 celica gt in snow. (I've driven many other vehicles in snow before this) I was only in about 3" of snow and could barely get out of the driveway. Granted it is an icy snowfall very slick, and my tires are less than half tread, but for a front wheel drive car i was fairly upset.....It does get much better traction in reverse than forward just as a side note. so I am wondering how does your front wheel drive celica do in say 3" of snow or more, not on plowed roads but fresh snow????

Thanks

bdog_v
Factory ride height and rims. If I lowered it at all it would be a joke to drive here in the WI winters. I wonder how hard it is to add a limited slip differential. I am fine on plowed roads but in the driveway not plowed is my problem.....
cheela
QUOTE (bdog_v @ Dec 24, 2009 - 3:33 PM) *
Factory ride height and rims. If I lowered it at all it would be a joke to drive here in the WI winters. I wonder how hard it is to add a limited slip differential. I am fine on plowed roads but in the driveway not plowed is my problem.....

I hear you dude. Wisconsin winters are harsh! that's why I'm still at stock height. hahahahha
cardshark525
I know that there will probably be someone with the exact opposite argument as me because it's not a set science but I do believe it has to do with the weight of our cars.

Once you get going there is really no problems but because our cars are so light they have no weight to compress the snow fully and that's why its easy to start spinning the tires if you're standing still in the snow. I know for a fact that first gear is completely useless in the snow in my car, however with the recent snow I had to start in 1st and not 2nd because I also have a brand new clutch which grabs like hell compared to my old one. I used first to just gain motion (up to about 3 mph), then second till about 10mph and then finally hit third which allowed me a little more throttle then since I was already in motion.

I have 4 month old Yokohama Avid VS4's so it's not like my tires are summer or low tread either.
kormysh8
I think our cars are pretty beast. Just snowed a good 5 inches in Saskatoon these past 2 days and i haven't had any trouble yet. but yea, first is pretty useless and its pretty light so once you get going on fresh powder snow, its kinda scary lol. I just put some new all seasons on stock rims, with stock ride height.
lilgreenyoda
See, that's why you lower your car. That way it can double as a snow plow, which makes things easier for the tires to get grip... (That's a joke btw). But really, even lowered, mine does fine. Might just be the loose nut behind the steering wheel? (Another joke...)
Remy
1.8 drop with winter tires mich x-ice and I'm surviving MN winter just fine and we're having a big storm right now lol.
TRD_Ian
can someone explain why my post got deleted?? i didn't bash any one, it was on topic and im pretty sure i didn't use foul language, whats the deal?
mgnt232
It got deleted off this one? lol i think i remember reading all of them and they weren't bad at all lol. and ive used "bad language" in my posts b4 and never got deleted X)
QUOTE (TRD_Ian @ Dec 25, 2009 - 2:37 AM) *
can someone explain why my post got deleted?? i didn't bash any one, it was on topic and im pretty sure i didn't use foul language, whats the deal?

Stambo
my celi did pretty good, even with wisconsin having snow one minute and freezing rain the next
laff09
QUOTE (bdog_v @ Dec 24, 2009 - 4:45 PM) *
Granted it is an icy snowfall very slick, and my tires are less than half tread, but for a front wheel drive car i was fairly upsetThanks

2wd just doesnt handle the snow/ice like 4wd or awd. less than half tread on all seasons isnt going to help you much in the snow. If u get stuck, just rock back and forth from 1st to reverse to 1st to reverse to get yourself some momentum. Or just drive around with a shovel and bag of kitty litter or sand.
richee3
This thread made me facepalm at first. It's a Celica and snow. Honestly. What did you expect? But I can't be a hypocrite. I still drive mine every time it snows here. It's no fun having to dig myself out of my driveway every single time I have to go somewhere, or worse, when I have to dig myself back into the driveway. I feel everyone's pain who has had to drive in snow. I had Falken Ziex 512's last year when we had 8 inches of snow with 4 inches of ice on top of it, and I still had to go driving in that stuff. Like laff09 said, just keep some kitty litter with you. It's a lifesaver.
bouch-11
Well with me being from Canada, we see quite the winters. Once winter time comes around I throw studded winters on the stock rims and it drives awesome. 3 inches of snow is nothing for us up here. Haha I'm used to quite a bit more to drive in, but yes, I find my gt-s great in the snow. All really depends what kind of tires you're running I guess.
bdog_v
Kitty litter that is a good idea as it is easy to carry along with you. But seriously there is a big difference in various front wheel drive cars in snow. My old college car was an 87 nissan sentra with the littlest pizza cutter tires and it would walk all over my celica as far as driving in snow in my driveway. ( keep in mind my driveway is about 100 feet long and is not always plowed.) However take it out on the highway at 50mph with some snow on the road and it was scarry as hell with the short wheelbase and no weight. I have built an owned various 4x4's and rear wheel drive cars and I was only comparing to other front wheel drive cars. Its amazing the difference one will have due to weight distribution, tires, horsepower, ground clearance, gearing, etc. it all factors in and there is a big difference.... For example back in the day my friend had a dodge neon and that thing got stuck all the time in snow, while another buddy had a cavalier and it would walk right through what the neon couldn't dream of....... Its really surprising if you take the time to observe the differences.

Thanks for all the comments.....
zonz540
My Celi was pretty scary to drive with all seasons on. After i swapped for the snow tires that the previous owner so graciously gave me, it drives like a champ in any weather. It definitely doesnt handle as well as my 94 Civic did without the snow tires... Braking is also a problem for me? (rear drums and no ABS, Civic had 4 wheel disc + ABS) Idk if its due to the drums or what... It just sucks...
celi_wabbit
2 words... No led foot and the right tires. wink.gif wink.gif
blu94gt
What kind of tires do you have?

I don't know why you guys have such issues. My Celica gets around just fine in the snow, ran thru areas with well over 6 inches of it today and did just fine. Stock suspension and wheels, my tires are nearly-bald Bridgestone Potenza all-seasons. Same driving as normal, starting in 1st gear, etc, but using caution to keep traction and braking early to be sure you stop in time. Only issue I have is the back end wants to slide out in a turn, but that's just because my back tires are bald.

With good tires and a little experience the Celica should get around just fine in snow, off-road, etc. One of the best winter vehicles I've had other than a WRX. With mud/snow tires can haul some real ass on winding dirt and gravel roads.
TRD_Ian
i drove mine last winter with the stock wheels and crappy worn out winter tires, and as low as it is.... and i did fine...clearance was an issue at times but other then that no big problems....winter driving is all about knowing how to drive in snow and have proper tires... the celica is an amazing car in the snow if its at stock height and proper snow tires...if it had an lsd it would be even better!.. on that note i have a friend who has a gt four as a winter car and it works amazing, awd and big studed tires.... its a frigin tank!
Bigblock
I don't mind snow--but the ice scares me!! I believe the Celica is the best handling car I've driven in the winter.
I use my Bigblock heads for weight! biggrin.gif !
Kitty litter is something I forgot!! I have 10 lbs of "ice melt" that's supposed to be good to -15*.
Our driveway is ~45 ft. long.
We live kinda mid-hill off a turn so that sux when it gets iced!--Come around the corner,keep the wheel turned,go down about 20 ft, the try to go up the grade maybe 25-30* for 20 ft before it levels off!! Then there's the 20x20 in front of the garage--that's where the Camaro is hibernating!!( Next to my brides daily driver.)
I start out in 2nd when traction is iffy.
celi_wabbit
Ooh yeah! and tire pressure can make a huge difference in the snow also.
CastrolCelica
Honestly, I'm doing great in the snow. The only thing I've had trouble with was getting in the garage yesterday as my garage is a steep 35 degree or higher slope and it was covered in snow. But after I got enough momentum it got in just fine.

Out there in the snow it's perfect. Try driving a Prius sometime in the snow and you'll have a new found appreciation for the car! It has a great footprint, it's balanced well, ect. If you own a manual it's easier to drive in the snow. If you're not good at driving stick you can easily spin your wheels in snow and lose control, but the key is just to start out slow and to never gas it quickly.

Our snow 2 days ago was horrible. I saw over 8 crashes on my way to work. I kept distance behind the car that was in front of me and never had an issue. I've never slid to the point of no control like my Prius, and if I ever started to slide the car IMMEDIATELY corrects itself. And this is coming from someone with weight reduction mods. If you are stock, I see no reason, besides the reasons above, why you're doing poorly in the snow.
GriffGirl
QUOTE (celi_wabbit @ Jan 5, 2010 - 7:00 PM) *
2 words... No led foot and the right tires. wink.gif wink.gif

Actually I'll add a third to that - sandbags in the trunk. The rear is so light, the weight of the car is distributed unevenly making the rear really squirrely. Sandbags in the trunk combined with good snow tires and a gentle foot makes for some decent snow driving.
viruz_one
I love my Celi in the snow! Seriously it eats snow like nothing.
6gcSTVT
My celica is lowered 1.8-2" all the way around and with half tread snow tires last winter I made it through 9" of poweder over a 1/4 mile up hill(not a huge hill but a hill)... granted I had snow up to my headers and battery when I stopped but the celica is great in the snow.

This year I'm running on General Altimax Arctic's and I do 65mph on the highway when there is nothing but white snow underneath me and I credit the TIRES to what our cars can and cannot do. All-seasons are not meant for temperatures below freezing which is why they suck in the winter and cannot grab ice... no matter if you are a great driver or not, your life may rely on your tires to stop or steer you from harm that's most likely uncontrollable so I will never run all-seasons in winter. My .02
delusionz
Wow you guys FWDing it through snow. I've never put the Four through snow, but I'm sure it would be a whole lot of fun.
CastrolCelica
QUOTE (delusionz @ Jan 20, 2010 - 8:28 PM) *
Wow you guys FWDing it through snow. I've never put the Four through snow, but I'm sure it would be a whole lot of fun.

You should! It's what it was made for smile.gif.

And yea, FWDing is great in snow, providing the car has a good footprint and has a wide stance.

I saw a BMW try to accelerate while turning left after his light went green.......that was entertaining tongue.gif. I bet he used half a tank of gas just to get across down that day. laugh.gif
thedaytripper
Im dealing with all the snow in Omaha, NE right now. My 96 gt gets around great
and we've already had two or three 6'' plus snow storms. Turning is a bit of an
issue with large snow drifts from the plows but my strategy so far of a dab of brake,
turn in and E-brake gets me through fine with a big smile on my face :-D
CelicaST_CALI
i drove in about 2 inches last night..in my GFs neighbor hood...it was funnnnnnnnnnn hahahha i was revving it like hell throwing snow everywhere just laughing..my gf texted me"stop revving,i can still hear your car"
zonz540
QUOTE (CelicaST_CALI @ Jan 22, 2010 - 12:00 AM) *
i drove in about 2 inches last night..in my GFs neighbor hood...it was funnnnnnnnnnn hahahha i was revving it like hell throwing snow everywhere just laughing..my gf texted me"stop revving,i can still hear your car"

Thats the way to do it
Rymaster
i'm riding on the stock TC rims and tires
and gossh dang, they are nearly bald! I'm telling you, i can't even move on the snow, not even on flat ground.

horrible for the snow...

Ruroniarc
My car does pretty well in the snow. Manual + easy clutch is the way to go. I just got all-season tires and they actually do pretty well in the snow too, but I'm gonna get snow tires next year.
1994Celica
It just recently snowed and iced over here and my car did fine
Remy
QUOTE (Rymaster @ Feb 1, 2010 - 12:21 PM) *
i'm riding on the stock TC rims and tires
and gossh dang, they are nearly bald! I'm telling you, i can't even move on the snow, not even on flat ground.

horrible for the snow...

You have bald tires and wonder why you can't get any traction in the snow ?? laugh.gif
kormysh8
saskatoon got hit hard with at least 3 feet of snow over the course of a day. i seen drifts 5 feet or more, i took some pics, ill post when ever i find my cord for my phone kindasad.gif . it was fun. didnt get stuck once. helped 5 people push cars down the street. celica ftw
Rymaster
QUOTE (Remy @ Feb 1, 2010 - 8:28 PM) *
You have bald tires and wonder why you can't get any traction in the snow ?? laugh.gif

na, i know why, haha

but even before they were bald, they did nothing really. But now, i have max traction off the snow!!! since they are bald wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.