Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! Car wont Start, NO POWER, read!
6G Celicas Forums > 6th Generation Celica > Engine/Transmission/Maintenance
mgnt232
Ok i have a 94 ST, just got a 60k 7A-FE (from a 95) put in, a couple weeks ago. Think the ECU might be gone? HELP
The other day i driving and my stereo stopped playing and felt like my car lost all power, then my stereo said "initial" which it has only said when i put a dead battery in. I thought not much of it but then the next day it did it again and then the interesting stuff started happening.
My car was driving fine, then started loosing power, and my Gauges went crazY! ups and downs, stuff was beeping and I put the blinker on and it blinked as if one was out (FAST) and then my car shut off. Went to start it and got nothing. Thought it might be the stereo, maybe blew a fuse somewhere. Unhooked the battery, pulled out the stereo on the side of the road, taped all the powers off, checked all the fuses in the car (none blown). hooked back up the battery, started up, but the gauges went crazy for a second and it idled higher than normal.
Got where i was going, seemed to be okay. That night was driving back home and it started again lost all power, then got it back (engine i dont think stopped) the car was jerking back and forth as i was hitting the gas, again gauges going crazy, very weird experience.
Got to my cousins house and the car was running turned it off and went inside for a second. Went back out, the dome light came on, closed the door, put the key in and the gauge "warnings" came on, as normal, turned and got nothing. Opened the door and the domes were out. Checked BOTH my batteries, 12.6V. Unhooked the back one completely, checked all the grounds (all 1/0 Gauge, BRAND NEW) All grounds are good, unhooked the battery, figuring it would reset the ECU? (right?) So i got the dome lights again and the same thing happened. Absolutely no POWER ANY WHERE, no domes. NOTHING.
Batteries are perfect, no blown fuses anywhere, grounds all good.
Thinking its the ECU? HELP, can someone tell me where its located, and if they think that the ECU is whats bad?
Thanks in advance people! biggrin.gif
Mstoochn
if the ecu went sour your car wouldn't even turn over bro lol.

the ecu location:

legalkid86
i'd say since your stereo picked up the first hint, if you have a audio system in your car check the + terminal wire on the car to make sure its not severed anywhere, too me it sounds like you have a short somewhere along the way. ecu i strongly doubt it. check all your fuses, relays, its def something electrical, make sure your batterys can carry loads as well...while their on.

good luck
mgnt232
My car doesnt turn over, it does nothing. any idea what it could be?

QUOTE (Mstoochn @ Jan 9, 2010 - 1:16 AM) *
if the ecu went sour your car wouldn't even turn over bro lol.

the ecu location:

mgnt232
I checked all the fuses, how do i check relays? My battery is good and the back one is a kinetik (car audio battery).
why would the car dome lights come on only after I reconnect the battery? but as soon as i go to turn the key, everything shuts off, nothing works?
Dont feel like bringing this to the shop, dont have the money frown.gif paid to get the new engine put in only a month ago frown.gif thanks to anyone who can help me out
QUOTE (legalkid86 @ Jan 9, 2010 - 1:43 AM) *
i'd say since your stereo picked up the first hint, if you have a audio system in your car check the + terminal wire on the car to make sure its not severed anywhere, too me it sounds like you have a short somewhere along the way. ecu i strongly doubt it. check all your fuses, relays, its def something electrical, make sure your batterys can carry loads as well...while their on.

good luck

legalkid86
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Jan 9, 2010 - 12:49 AM) *
I checked all the fuses, how do i check relays? My battery is good and the back one is a kinetik (car audio battery).
why would the car dome lights come on only after I reconnect the battery? but as soon as i go to turn the key, everything shuts off, nothing works?
Dont feel like bringing this to the shop, dont have the money frown.gif paid to get the new engine put in only a month ago frown.gif thanks to anyone who can help me out

good luck

as in good do you mean you just bought it or you had it checked, cause winter always causes the batterys to go out, and when you turn on your car you have to understand it carries load right off the bat, and if thats that the battery or alt would be your best bet, or a short some where along the way. also check out your alternator that its not burnt out, it may be that as well just another idea in mind
legalkid86
check the connections on the ecu...that they are intact as well just to be on the safe side
mgnt232
My battery is new, and checked it at 12.6V and i have a brand new high output alt. all is good there, I get power if i disconnect and reconnect the bat but as soon as i go to turn the key or even sometimes hitting the brake, all power is lost, I hope its just a short somewhere frown.gif getting it towed to the shop monday.. ug losing soo much money frown.gif and want to my bodykit on! frown.gif ****ty winter:(
QUOTE (legalkid86 @ Jan 9, 2010 - 1:55 AM) *

good luck

as in good do you mean you just bought it or you had it checked, cause winter always causes the batterys to go out, and when you turn on your car you have to understand it carries load right off the bat, and if thats that the battery or alt would be your best bet, or a short some where along the way. also check out your alternator that its not burnt out, it may be that as well just another idea in mind

legalkid86
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Jan 9, 2010 - 9:20 AM) *
My battery is new, and checked it at 12.6V and i have a brand new high output alt. all is good there, I get power if i disconnect and reconnect the bat but as soon as i go to turn the key or even sometimes hitting the brake, all power is lost, I hope its just a short somewhere frown.gif getting it towed to the shop monday.. ug losing soo much money frown.gif and want to my bodykit on! frown.gif ****ty winter:(
QUOTE (legalkid86 @ Jan 9, 2010 - 1:55 AM) *

good luck

did you Check the ecu connectors see if they are all connected?
mgnt232
no i havent checked them, I am not too sure how to even get to the ecu? Could you tell me?
legalkid86
QUOTE (mgnt232 @ Jan 9, 2010 - 2:13 PM) *
no i havent checked them, I am not too sure how to even get to the ecu? Could you tell me?

remove the middle console by starting with the screws under the arm rest cover, just becareful the air bag ecu is right under their so id recommend you to disc the battery first before removing the center console.
808celica
why dont you just fold the carpet down and remove 4 bracket nuts and the connectors???
pittfirefighter
QUOTE (808celica @ Jan 10, 2010 - 3:48 AM) *
why dont you just fold the carpet down and remove 4 bracket nuts and the connectors???

we have a winner

you have a short

you're grounding out somewhere and its killing the juice - my bet is at the alternator... thats the number one place for it to happen
GriffGirl
Alternator is EXACTLY what I was gonna suggest too, your problem is at your alternator. Check your grounds and if they're all good, pull your alt and go get it tested, it sounds like you just have a bad alternator if it's not a grounding issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.